Cloudy water after wc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hdultra said:
how's it going roy ?

Hey! How are things with you?

I just did a 50% PWC. the results are:

pH: 7.6
Nitrite: .25ppm
Ammonia: <0.25ppm
Nitrates: <5.0ppm

Is it ok if if my nitrates are that low? Or is it bad?

Since you have live plants, you want your nitrates to be 10-20ppm. However, your tank is not done cycling, and you don't have a full bioload so it probably isn't something to worry about just yet. Once the cycle is complete and you add more fish, keep an eye onthe nitrates. At that point if the N is still testing out at <5ppm, you will need to dose kno3 to bump them up a bit. But like I said, for now, I wouldn't worry--you won't get the full picture of how the tank will settle and what needs to be dosed until it matures a bit longer.

Since you have live plants, you want your nitrates to be 10-20ppm. However, your tank is not done cycling, and you don't have a full bioload so it probably isn't something to worry about just yet. Once the cycle is complete and you add more fish, keep an eye onthe nitrates. At that point if the N is still testing out at <5ppm, you will need to dose kno3 to bump them up a bit. But like I said, for now, I wouldn't worry--you won't get the full picture of how the tank will settle and what needs to be dosed until it matures a bit longer.

Thank you fort. As always, you are a big help.

Ok, I will not worry about the low nitrate level for now. I will buy a kno3 just in case I will need it.

With the nitrite level of .25ppm, should i still be doing a 50% PWC? thanks again.

Take Fort's and don't worry about those Nitrates for now. As soon as you are finished cycling you are planning on adding more fish, correct? When you add more fish your nitrates should rise a bit.

Coleallensmom said:
Take Fort's and don't worry about those Nitrates for now. As soon as you are finished cycling you are planning on adding more fish, correct? When you add more fish your nitrates should rise a bit.

Yes I am planning to add more fish. I changed my mind though. I was planning to get a jardini but now I want discus :)

Coleallensmom said:
Jealous! I love discus...They are so colorful! I have a higher Ph and harder water than what they like though. :(

I read they need a temp. of 85F. Hard water? High acidity?

pH: 7.6
Nitrite: <0.25ppm
Ammonia: <0.25
Nitrate:: <5.0ppm

Coleallensmom said:
I'm not sure about temperature, but I know they like a PH close to 6 (Below 7) and my tap water's PH is quite a bit higher.

Is there any chemical or something to fix the pH to your desire?

Back
Top Bottom