Cloudy water after wc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is...although Idk if many would advise using them. When I was researching most everything I read mentioned using peat to lower your PH or possibly mixing distilled or RO (reverse-osmosis) water with your tap water to reduce both hardness/PH. I would suggest you start a thread if you're interested. I am sure there are some Discus people here at AA that could give you a whole lot more information than I could...plus real life exprience on the subject.

Coleallensmom said:
There is...although Idk if many would advise using them. When I was researching most everything I read mentioned using peat to lower your PH or possibly mixing distilled or RO (reverse-osmosis) water with your tap water to reduce both hardness/PH. I would suggest you start a thread if you're interested. I am sure there are some Discus people here at AA that could give you a whole lot more information than I could...plus real life exprience on the subject.

Driftwoods makes your water softer, right? I am thinking of taking the pots out and replace it with driftwoods. What do you think?

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
WHO told you to cycle with goldfish? That's just as bad.. Any fish is cruel to cycle with. If you had read the whole thread you'd realize he's doing very well, considering a rougher start.

Thank you Jena.

Roy disregard the negative comments. Your doing a good job getting control of you water quality.

tyspot1000 said:
How the tank doing? :) I agree with hdultra, you are doing great at fixing this ;)

The tank is doing great! I've been doing 50% PWC everyday and the "bad" levels are to down the minimum. The plants are growing and new leaves are coming out. Thank you :)

Driftwoods makes your water softer, right? I am thinking of taking the pots out and replace it with driftwoods. What do you think?

I had a huge chunk of wood in my 37 gal and it didn't affect my water hardness at all...it did cause a change in my alkalinity and PH though.

I would never recommend cycling with goldfish unless possibly it was a feeder fish. This guy has 6 little fish in an 125 gal tank. He's doing daily PWCs and doing a great job of keeping things under control now that he's learned just what needs to be done when cycling with fish. Read the whole thread before you go giving "advice".

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleallensmom said:
I had a huge chunk of wood in my 37 gal and it didn't affect my water hardness at all...it did cause a change in my alkalinity and PH though.

I thought pH=hardness/softness? How do you test how hard/soft is your water? Thanks.

I have test strips to test mine, but your LFS can tell you. The stability of your PH is related your water hardness and alkalinity. PH will tell you how acidic your water is. Alkalinity is a measure of the negative ions in your water (Hydroxide, carbonate, Bicarbonate) that buffer against PH shifts. Hardness is a measurement of the metallic ions in your water (Calcium, Magnesium). Hard water usually= high PH. Normal range for Alkalinity is 80-300; my tap sits at about 80. Normal range for hardness is 75-300; mine sits at about 150.

Coleallensmom said:
I have test strips to test mine, but your LFS can tell you. The stability of your PH is related your water hardness and alkalinity. PH will tell you how acidic your water is. Alkalinity is a measure of the negative ions in your water (Hydroxide, carbonate, Bicarbonate) that buffer against PH shifts. Hardness is a measurement of the metallic ions in your water (Calcium, Magnesium). Hard water usually= high PH. Normal range for Alkalinity is 80-300; my tap sits at about 80. Normal range for hardness is 75-300; mine sits at about 150.

I think the hardness of my water source is not an issue. I just did some research.

The City of Tracy obtains 80% of its public water supply from surface water sources: San Joaquin Delta via Delta Mendota canal, Stanislaus River via South San Joaquin Irrigation District surface water supply. Both surface water sources are treated to Federal/State water quality standards. The surface water sources are considered to be low in minerals and considered soft water. The minerals which contribute to water hardness are calcium and magnesium and are primarily found in groundwater sources. Since the City of Tracy utilizes 20% groundwater this source can be considered moderately hard, due to blending of the ground water with the soft surface water, the hardness is not an issue.

But I will still buy the test strip to test the softness/hardness of my water source. :)

I have removed some rude postings and any posts that pertained or quoted th rude posts. Please refrain from being rude when stating opinions.

roydooms said:
I think the hardness of my water source is not an issue. I just did some research.

The City of Tracy obtains 80% of its public water supply from surface water sources: San Joaquin Delta via Delta Mendota canal, Stanislaus River via South San Joaquin Irrigation District surface water supply. Both surface water sources are treated to Federal/State water quality standards. The surface water sources are considered to be low in minerals and considered soft water. The minerals which contribute to water hardness are calcium and magnesium and are primarily found in groundwater sources. Since the City of Tracy utilizes 20% groundwater this source can be considered moderately hard, due to blending of the ground water with the soft surface water, the hardness is not an issue.

But I will still buy the test strip to test the softness/hardness of my water source. :)

I would definitely check it out if you're serious about keeping discus. Once you know exactly where your water stands, you can find out what you need to do to make conditions ideal. Some fish can adapt to different conditions, but discus are very sensitive.

I would definitely check it out if you're serious about keeping discus. Once you know exactly where your water stands, you can find out what you need to do to make conditions ideal. Some fish can adapt to different conditions, but discus are very sensitive.

Ah, depending on the discus. The wild caught and the Juvi discus are most sensitive needing excellent water, by doing water changes everyday.

Tank breed adult discus dont need as much water changes as they do when young, possibly 2 25% water changes per week or 1 50% per week.

Zagz said:
I have removed some rude postings and any posts that pertained or quoted th rude posts. Please refrain from being rude when stating opinions.

Thank you Zagz!

Coleallensmom said:

I am doing some research about discus. I even bought a magazine about them. :)

Back
Top Bottom