Cloudy water cant shake it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's from big ALS online it does not say blue or actinic that's why I got it still waiting for it to cone in should be here today I just thought the higher the "k" the better it's says for vigorous plant growth?

jetajockey said:
Here's a good writeup on kelvin ratings. Please take some time to read it, it will explain.
Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, Light Basics.

Wow my eyes hurt that was a long write up I read and understood a little as I am not very scientific but from my understanding the bulbs I ordered they might have a blue appearance which is what I tried to avoid the item description said nothing about blue or actinic

Well anyway long story short I am ditching my t8 fixture completely from what I read and was told this fixture may sustain but not really grow plants in my 80 gallon soooooooooo I am ordering a 3 bulb 54 watt per bulb fixture that has two switches and two plugs to run one two or three bulbs at a time ect.. My question is the fixture includes 3 bulbs of my choice from their list which should I choose?

I will read the types and make another post

Here is a color spectrum chart to get an idea. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but generally speaking, the low #s are warm yellows and as it goes up in color temperature it goes to white and then as it goes above the daylight range it becomes blue.

As far as what bulbs you want, it's up to you. 6500k-6700k are my preferred choice, but if you want a crisper white, you may want to mix a 10000k in there. 10000k's can grow plants, I just believe that ~6500k is better at it, so it comes down to personal preference.

The plant grow bulbs I believe are those pinkish ones, so unless you like the color pink don't get them.

I do like crisp white so then two 65 and a 10000k would look nice and hopefully I should be able to get the plants I want from there out with the new fixture and bulbs

I have that exact fixture and just an fyi, jeta is right i only have two bulbs on and tried to use some ferts and caused some algae, awesome fixture, but will need CO2 to turn all 3 on, i probably should have CO2 with the two on but i cut back on my ferts. Im new so its trial and error.

Awesome light though.

BfishLpond78 said:
I have that exact fixture and just an fyi, jeta is right i only have two bulbs on and tried to use some ferts and caused some algae, awesome fixture, but will need CO2 to turn all 3 on, i probably should have CO2 with the two on but i cut back on my ferts.B Im new so its trial and error.

Awesome light though.

Yea Ryan, Bfish recommended that light also to me. Seems like its the one we need and room to grow with also later

I do like crisp white so then two 65 and a 10000k would look nice and hopefully I should be able to get the plants I want from there out with the new fixture and bulbs

I think those bulbs would be a good choice if you are going to go with that fixture. The other option you might consider would be 1 6,500K, 1 10,000K, and one plant growth bulb. Plant growth bulbs are often pink in color but it won't make your aquarium look pink.

I have that exact combo. Here is what my tank looks like with the 6500k and 10000k. Its nice and crisp to me.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_215845.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_215845.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 62
On the tanks you said you run a 10,000k and a plant growth bulb...I assume you have co2 on all those tanks?

No pressurized Co2. My personal planted tanks with T5 fixtures past and *present were/are:

*20 gal Tall (16" high)
24" dual 24w Current Usa Nova Extreme T5HO fixture
No pressurized Co2
Very relaxed dosing schedule; Small amount of Excel and ferts every three days. No algae issues once heavily planted.

37 gal (22" high)
30" dual 24w Current Usa Nova Extreme T5HO fixture
No pressurized Co2
No algae issues. Struggled over time with keeping medium light plants healthy. Traded it in for a 50 gal.

*50 gal (19" high)
Came with a 36" 4x 39w Current Usa Nova Extreme T5HO fixture with LED moonlights.
Planning on adding pressurized Co2 in the future so that I can use the full potential of the fixture; currently using a split photoperiod to minimize algae issues.
Dose ferts 2x per week and Excel every other day.

Last edited:
Thank you, i have no where near your visual imagination of aquascaping but im getting there.

jetajockey said:
If you do go with a high quality 3 bulb fixture like a catalina then you should definitely plan on adding pressurized co2 at some point.

It Is a Catalina how did you know ? lol and co2 is in the near future

Ok let me get this straight...sooo an 8 hour photo period is not leaving the ligjts on for 8 hours straight...you can have them on for 4 hours...the shut them off for 4 hours then turn them back on for 4 hours to complete the 8 hours of the lights being on?

I believe it the on/off time for your lights

I was actually running all 4 bulbs for 4hrs a day and then just 2 bulbs for 4hrs a day. (The way my fixture is setup, I can run two or four bulbs at a time.) The tank is newly set up (May) and I was looking for some quick growth with the extra light. That amount of light is not something anyone can expect to keep for a long period of time w/o algae taking advantage because of lack of Co2 though..I've been very careful with Excel dosing. As you mentioned, some do split their photoperiod (usually 4 on 2 off 4 on or 4 on 4 off 4 on) thinking that it may prevent algae issues. For some, it may just be personal preference because they are not home during the middle of the day, for others who are a little low on CO2, the break -in theory- gives time for the tank to build CO2 back up. Would be interesting to give it a try just for personal experience. Now that everything is becoming established, I will probably stick with running 2 bulbs (8hrs) until if/when I decide to add Co2 to the tank. I expect it will be a while (if ever) that I go that route however because I love that with my 20 gal I have just enough light for medium light plants but no stress over my excel dosing or needing pressurized Co2. Will have to see how things play out. The only draw high light and pressurized Co2 has for me would be having the opportunity to have higher light plants. (I currently have been sticking with low and medium light plant varieties.)

Back
Top Bottom