Cloudy water cant shake it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I don't mind going the co2 route so I am gonna run all three cause at my lfs they don't know what type of plants they have so its kinda a grab bag so I wanna make sure all survive so I am gonna start another thread on a three bulb two switch feature with a timer to figure out my timing

Sorry! I know nothing about what your asking in that thread. It's just I thought you were having trouble with green water and was wondering what you had in your tank? Have you ever used an algae remover? It works for me but you can't have any kind of crustaceans ie: crabs,snails etc. Plus I use a water clarifier and have plecos, corys and bristle nose and by doing all of these things don't have too much trouble with algae. Oh and loaches are pretty good about removing algae too.

I looked on the bottle of my algae control and it says it works for algae blooms and green water. I think it's safe for use on crustaceans as well. I was thinking of something else but this product seems to work for me,everyone always asks me in all my tanks how I keep the water so crystal clear. This is one of the products I use religiously with each pwc.

Yeah I have a sal fin 2 farlowella 1 apple snail and 3 flying foxes I have mo idea where the green water came from but I did a 4 day black out and it resolved that issue

well i dont know what i am doing wrong but its back again even worse my lights are on 6 on 6 off i do feed flakes nutrafin max but i feed what they will eat no more nothing hits the ground i guess about 3 pinches my tank is on the oppisite side of my window its right in front of it but about 12' away

i am gonna keep my curtains closed and feed nutrafin max sinking pellets for community tanks

do you think my plants will be ok with 5 on 5 off 5 on remainder off?

I'm sure light coming in the window does not help the issue. Definitely keep the curtain closed... Excess sunlight can do a number on a tank. What are you aiming for with the split photoperiod? If you want to try one to see how it works for you, why not do 4 on, 4 off, 4 on. That's 12 hours total and just 8hrs with your fixture actually running. Leave it off over night to give the tank a rest period.

I am aiming for plant health and less algea I was doing 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off it was coming on at 6 am-12pm and 6 pm to 12am so it was off most of the night

Ok I will try 4 on 4 off 4 on and the remainder off

Same issue here Ryan. Water getting a bit hazy again, rocks turning green...I'm about to stick the stock lighting back on and call it a day, lol. Apparently the new lights and ferts aren't helping a bit. I guess I'll split my photo period too. I'm actually thinking about running just the 10,000k for 4 hours, then running the 6,500k for the next photo period. I have no idea if that'll make a bit of difference...but those new lights running together are freaking bright! It's so much light pouring into that thing it's no surprise there's algae. I even cut out a tiny spot of BBA on one of the Vals (good call jeta).

I ordered a 24 watt uv sterilizer "green killing machine" I know it's not finding the source but it will clear up my water until I figure out a good light schedule but my window was likely the problem cause I am still running my t8 until my beautiful new fixture comes in

Same issue here Ryan. Water getting a bit hazy again, rocks turning green...I'm about to stick the stock lighting back on and call it a day, lol. Apparently the new lights and ferts aren't helping a bit. I guess I'll split my photo period too. I'm actually thinking about running just the 10,000k for 4 hours, then running the 6,500k for the next photo period. I have no idea if that'll make a bit of difference...but those new lights running together are freaking bright! It's so much light pouring into that thing it's no surprise there's algae. I even cut out a tiny spot of BBA on one of the Vals (good call jeta).

Green algae and BBA five days after a black out? I don't remember what wattage your tank is at with both bulbs, but there really should be no reason a tank that size should have algae issues caused by a light fixture that's putting out <1 wpg. The ferts (small amount) and 2 bulbs was in my eyes a last ditch effort at figuring out the issue. There has to be some issue that you haven't diagnosed.

Coleallensmom said:
Green algae and BBA five days after a black out? I don't remember what wattage your tank is at with both bulbs, but there really should be no reason a tank that size should have algae issues caused by a light fixture that's putting out <1 wpg. The ferts (small amount) and 2 bulbs was in my eyes a last ditch effort at figuring out the issue. There has to be some issue that you haven't diagnosed.

Duel 39 watt bulbs, so...78 watts on a 46 gallon tank. One 10,000k, the other 6,500k. I've dosed the Flourish Comp at half dosage 2x a week (so only dosed it twice so far), 7-8 hour photo period.

All due respect...but the idea of higher intensity light = less algae confuses me. Maybe I need more plants? (pics in my profile).

The BBA was a tiny spec on one leaf of a Val...the green taking over the rocks started pretty quickly after the blackout.

Last edited:
It's not the idea of light killing algae (absurd) it's the idea that your plants would grow better with more light (I've had a tallish tank before...I can't imagine how <1wpg would be enough to keep anything other than low light plants growing long term. Still think there is another issue, dating back to before your switch to dual bulbs. Just my 2cents though.

Back
Top Bottom