coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am liking the maxjet idea. Using a gravel siphon to take water out of my tank is no problem because the tank is so high but getting it back in can be a bear. As soon as I add my sump I will be doing all water changes from there and I have been wondering what I would use to pump out the water. I think I just figured it out. I will use the same PH that I am using for mixing my salt. :)

I do this with my pump. Works like a charm. Especially last night as I was filling the 220 gal

There is a carpet cleaning service here in Atlanta that advertises "Empowered Water". They say they add a little salt to it and it does a better job of cleaning. Guess your's is very Empowered. LOL

im seeking info from every one that uses a dsb. what do you use to keep your sand sifted and moving? and i also have one in my sump. do i need to be concerned about having sifters in there too?

I don't have anything in my refugium. I just kick up the dirt a little every time I check on my micro

thank you! you said micro but i read macro. i had to go back and reread what you where talking about.

i have a bad habit of asking questions while researching. here is a handy link. does anyone give this any merit to this or is it bunk?
DSB article - CALFO

I don't clean my dsb.... IMO if you have a fully established sw tank, a dsb doesn't need to be cleaned... but if you aren't 100% secure with that, id just get some inverts that'll mix up the sand...

I don't clean mine either. And if you mess with the one in your sump, your just going to release that junk back into your tank. Let your macro grow and take care of that stuff. My Nitrates have been 0 since I've updated my sump and got my skimmer. I use a sechem test kit to test everything. Most I've had was 1-2 right before my pwc.

I also do not mess with my DSB in either my sump or DT. I have about 40 nassarius snails but thats about it as far as sand sifting goes. I'm not sure if its the macro algae in the sump or the dsb but my parameters have been great on my 125g and I have not been doing weekly water changes but the trates are at about 0.

I know I don't want to stir it. But like the snails they do the light sifting. I'll just get a small handful of them and call it good. Was thinking mangroves for the sump. It's been asked hundreds of times but what other macro do u guys keep and how do I keep it from going sexy?

I keep chaeto and caulpera in my refugium and havent had any issues with it yet. The caulpera really grows quick so I trim it down. :)

carey said:
I keep chaeto and caulpera in my refugium and havent had any issues with it yet. The caulpera really grows quick so I trim it down. :)

I have caulpera and mangroves... No issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom