Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi: The link is bad because Foster and Smith don't sell a python, they sell other water changers. To answer your question though, yes a python is a water changer and there are many available. Aqueon sells their model in either a 25' system or 50' system as do many others. If your interested only in a "python" here's the website: Python Products Aquarium Supplies and Pond supplies

I didn't read all the posts and I'm sure this has been mentioned before...but I am going to say it again. I just learned a huge lesson and one that cost me some money...QUARANTINE ALL NEW FISH !!!!! Even if they are the first fish going into a new tank. Yeah...it sucks having to wait yet another week or two or more after you just waited all that time for your tank to cycle...but trust me, you might dodge a few bullets but it will catch up to you if you don't quarantine.

Plecos are my FAV!!!! and yes again NEVER believe the dang pet store people. everytime I go there they dont know what they are talking about it seems like. Sold me wrong plants, too many fish..etc....still my tank is only 5 days old, but dang...they even told me I didnt need a testing kit. I am still in need of lots of help!!! lol

Hey! I had 2 neon tetra's that got white spot and died.
Then it spread to my two Molly fish. I bought the medication
And put it in my bowl. It cured the two fish but a few of my
others died. Always be sure of what to do before medication:)

Oops also meant to say that the lady in the shop told me
It's perfectly ok to medicate and even gave me wring dosage
Soo ridiculous:p

how do you quarantine if you only have one tank? and do you need to quarantine if the fish you bought all came from the same tank at the store????

Quarantine is having a different tank thats cycled on hand in case of a ill fish(s). You
Can take a fish out thats sick and rehome it temperarily in the quaratine tank wit meds til it becomes healthy enough to put back into main tank

I learned the following things during my fishless cycle:

1. Be careful how much ammonia you put in. I put 7 tsp in a 10g. My readings were off the chart.

2. I did two 50% water changes and the readings were still off the chart.

3. I was too tired to do anything else and LEFT MY PLANTS IN THE WATER OVER NIGHT.

4. I had dead plants the next day. I had to completely remove all of the water and start over.

Set up tank, dont add fish for 4 wks. Plecos and corys especially. IT takes time for the biofilters and good bacteria and such to kick start. After 4 weeks add fish. Make sure you float them for 30 minutes in the bag they came from the store in.

Make sure you have a good heater. As a preventive add 1 teaspoon per gallon of water of aquarium salt when you set up the tank.

Weekly water changes: once a week change out 1/3 of the water. Once a month 1/2 of the water.

I have 40 yrs experience with aquariums. Many diseases has mutated over the past few years. Remember you are in the learning mode. You will make mistakes and loose fish. Never buy fish from Petsmart or never by he Bettas at Walmart. They are not healthy at these locations.:fish2::fish1:

Never buy fish from Petsmart. They are not healthy at these locations.:fish2::fish1:

I don't agree with this part fully. Some stores are bad, some are good. Some local shops/internet websites are good, some are bad. Just because it's a chain doesn't automatically mean it's going to be unhealthy.

What I would say here is to check out the shop and talk to employees and other customers before buying from a store you have not shopped at before. If it looks bad or you hear bad things, then don't shop there.

aquanewbie72-Don't get a pleco or corys. They are very sensitive to water conditions as is Bettas. These 3 are out for newbies.

40 yrs experience

Dont Rush into buying your favourite Fish, Wait until your bio system in your tank is ready :)

and use goldfish to test your aquarium :)

First off Jmedic25 thanks for referring me to this thread. I should have read this before the hundreds of dollars I've already invested. It seems like the two things I've missed are the most important, cycling and a test kit. I took the LFS word for it and bought fish and a 55 gal the same day. I did transfer the water from my 20 gal to my 55 transferring the bacteria. My water is at a constant 78 degrees and I do 20% PWC every week. I have 9 african cichlids and 4 live plants in there. I have had the tank for a month and one fish is missing I assume it is dead. This week I added 4 fish to it making the total 9 and my pleco makes 10. All my fish seem healthy and fully colored. Like everything else I do I jumped in head first without researching until after the fact. I just put too much trust in my LFS thinking them the "experts" I sell paint for a living. When that "guy" comes in every winter and tries to buy an exterior product, I always try and talk them out of it. I can make a quick buck and never turn back. I consider myself an expert and gaining the customer's loyalty through quality advise and service is more valuable then 1 gal of 36 dollar deck stain. I feel cheated and mislead. Is there anything else you guys would recommend me do to ensure my fish survive my blunder?

Ive had my tank now for almost 4 months. But it seems like the tank still isnt cycled...no nitrites or nitrates....still need to change the water for the ammonia every couple days....leave it a week it goes to 1ppm. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Python question:
1st PWC time. Small # of small fish (fish-in cycling) in a 37 Gal. I've got some fry and small shrimp in my new freshly planted tank. I think that if I try and suck into the gravel, as I've seen demonstrated online, I will uproot the plants and suck up the little fish/shrimp. I was thinking I'd stick a piece of the old nylons over the tube and leave the gravel alone for another time. -Draw water slowly from an upper corner that's free of fish. Any advice?

Another idea for my upcoming batch of fry: Wrap some of that old nylon aound the intake tube on my external hanging filter. Would that work? Would it burn out the motor on the Topfin 40 filter? Thanks!

Ive had my tank now for almost 4 months. But it seems like the tank still isnt cycled...no nitrites or nitrates....still need to change the water for the ammonia every couple days....leave it a week it goes to 1ppm. What am I doing wrong?

Does your tank have fish in it? If not leave it alone! No need to do water changed during a fishless cycle, you want to ammonia levels to be high at first after a week or 2 or even more you should start to notice a decrease in ammonia and an increase in nitrites meaning the tank is beginning to cycle properly, after another week or 2 you will start to notice a decrease in nitrites and an increase in nitrates. Let the cycle run its course naturally

Back
Top Bottom