Common Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey All

Alright so I am going to do a Profile on the Common Plecostumos. I think that it will be very helpful for newcomers who have been sucked in and have bought a Common Plecostumos for their first pleco.

Description
The Common Plecostumos also known as L023. The reason for the L*** is because of the wide variety of Plecostumos that they have made a system that refers to them in numbers making it easier for aquarists. This fish is avaliable in many stores and is often sold under false conduct. They will get very big often reaches lengths of 60cm and can become aggresive when maturing. Though this fish gets huge it can be kept in a very large Tank and is an excellent algea eater and will hold its own against more aggresive fish. A tank of around 300g will work very well for the Common Plecostumos. Also Plecos have a very high bioload and the Common Pleco is no exception.

Habitat & Care
The Common Plecostumos can be kept in a wide variety of conditons but the best conditons as follows. 70-80*F a Ph of 6.0 - 8.0 and a hardness of 1-25
It also needs a cycled tank with paraments of no Ammonia no Nitrite and 0-40ppm.
The Common Plecostomus also loved to gnaw on driftwood so have plenty of driftwood and hiding spots becuase they can be quite shy sometimes.

Diet
As mentioned the Common Plecostumos love to chew of driftwood and they can often spend hours on the wood just chewing it. They are Herbivores and will eat algea in the aquarium. Also the diet should be supplimented with things like Peas, zuchinni, sweet potatoe, lettuce, squash and sinking pellets.

Just to finish i think that these guys are a really nice fish that are a nice addition to the tank is the tank is big enough. Now some pictures of this glorious fish

300326793_013cc607b2.jpg

pleco.jpg

My first fish for my 15g tank haha. I didnt do my research and now I realise my mistake. He lived for 5 and im getting a bristlenose pleco soon.

Awesome profile, Jason! (y) I guess I should get caught up on all of the profiles you've done thus far. ;)

In regards to the growth rate of a Common Pleco, mine is averaging 3/4" per month. He was 1.5-2" long when I got him 9 months ago and he's currently at 8.5-9" long.

Here's a pic of mine, (to add to your visuals)...

Attachments

• AA-Aq048.jpg
    AA-Aq048.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 932
I think full grown in 6 months is a bit of a stretch. I have had one for 2 or so, and he's grown from about 2 inches to 4 full inches. They do grow quite quickly, but not to 2 feet in 6 months IME. And he's not being stunted; water quality is good and he's in a 29. (Don't worry, when he gets to 6 or so inches he's going to a bigger tank).

I think full grown in 6 months is a bit of a stretch. I have had one for 2 or so, and he's grown from about 2 inches to 4 full inches. They do grow quite quickly, but not to 2 feet in 6 months IME. And he's not being stunted; water quality is good and he's in a 29. (Don't worry, when he gets to 6 or so inches he's going to a bigger tank).

It's the Common Pleco that grows up to 2', but it takes a couple years.
The Bushy/Bristlenose is the one that reaches it's full size (4"-5") in approx. 6 months.

They were discussing both so I can see how it got confusing.

Several other plecos don't get as big. Bristlenose and Clown are two varieties suitable to any tank 20g or larger. They get around 5" each.

By stunting you mean they don't get as big as they would normally? Does that bother the fish? Back a few years ago I had a common pleco in a 10 for a year and he stayed bout the same size after a few months and then when I got my 55g I used to have he got to like 8 inches. Isn't that just the way fish and even reptile operate? The more space the bigger they get? I mean if u put a pleco in a lake (not that I would lol) wouldn't it get even larger than normal?

From my understanding of stunting, it not only shortens their size but it shortens their life.
But I've also seen so much conflicting information on what the minimum size tank is for a Common Pleco, from min. 55g to min. 300g. So I'm not sure what size tank will actually cause an issue with their life span.
But Common Plecos do get to be 2' long, so they do need space. But unlike, say a Bala Shark that needs tons of room for swimming, the Common Pleco is a relatively slow and seldom moving fish.

I have my pleco in a 10g for a few months now :( I'm cycling a 55 g for cichlids can he live with them ok? Otherwise I'm probably giving him to my cousin who has a larger tank but he's no where near setting them up yet ...

stunting is when a fish does not have proper room to grow, so it's outside stops growing, but the insides keep trying to grow. it's a painful process for the fish and shortens their lifespan :(

IMO common plecos should be in no less than a 125g tank. they get extremely large and have a huge bioload.

Flossie said:
I have my pleco in a 10g for a few months now :( I'm cycling a 55 g for cichlids can he live with them ok? Otherwise I'm probably giving him to my cousin who has a larger tank but he's no where near setting them up yet ...

No don't give him away! He will b fin, infact, I've even seen plecos in a tank w piranhas fighting over dead scraps of food and they didn't eat it.

From my understanding plecos can live with cichlids. And i didn't know that stunting them shortens lifespan that makes more sense now about these min tank sizes now. I don't have but one fish right now and it's a ****ation Molly so it's ok but now I know for future reference.

Plecos are fine in a cichlid tank. I have them in my 140 and 240. BTW, Plecos also love driftwood. I just added driftwood to my 240 and the plecos havent left it alone since I put it in.

I have my pleco in a 10g for a few months now :( I'm cycling a 55 g for cichlids can he live with them OK? Otherwise I'm probably giving him to my cousin who has a larger tank but he's no where near setting them up yet ...

Just curious, which type of cichlids are you referring to?
My Mbunas are cichlids and so are my Angelfish, there Central and South American cichlids and Gouramis too. There are a large variety of fish in the cichlid family.
The Common Pleco gets along with just about anything they're great. Our first CP, Eddie Fisher, was like a big puppy. Eddie would come up to the surface when we walked in the room and wait to be petted, he loved it, it was weird and wonderful.
I'm in the process of training out newer CP to be the same way, he's getting the idea slowly. He lets me do it but not anyone else so we'll see how it goes.

Thank u so much guys... I'm growing more attached to the little guy. I was thinking
some yellow Labs and electric blues.. I also wondered if it would be ok to take pleco from a tank with gravel and fake plants to PFS and sandstone rocks... Anyone know if he'd be ok with that? I'd rather not give him to my cousin seeing he's more of a Newbie than I ;) I'll tell him I'll buy him a new one lol

I still think 55g is not big enough for a common pleco. JMO

he should be find with sand, though. if anything I think he'd like it better.

mommytron said:
I still think 55g is not big enough for a common pleco. JMO

he should be find with sand, though. if anything I think he'd like it better.

:( the sad thing is if I donate him I can't be positive he'll go to a larger tank ... I wish I hadn't got him but I guess another Newbie still would have and done the same thing... I got him a petsmart.. I didn't know
About stunting :(

:( the sad thing is if I donate him I can't be positive he'll go to a larger tank ... I wish I hadn't got him but I guess another Newbie still would have and done the same thing... I got him a petsmart.. I didn't know

Our first fish was a CP (but I didn't know it) and I put him in a 10g tank too. That is a very common newbie mistake, it's how we learn. For now he is alive and loved.
DO NOT RETURN HIM TO THE STORE WHERE YOU GOT HIM. They will sell him to the next person with a 10g tank, they don't care.
The 55g will last him for awhile, giving you time to decide if you want a bigger tank yourself or to find a good home for him.
Just get him out of the 10g asap.

Flossie said:

Uuhhhh how old is the Pleco?

Flossie said:

Post an add on craigslist, and dont sell him unless the people have the right sized tank. Also post an add here in the buy/sell forum.

Back
Top Bottom