Common Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he looks just like george.

image-2799708448.jpg

how long is he? mine comes to the top of the tank when its time for feeding, eats the food from the surface.
i also have a 55gal tank, ive not had it long and still have lots to learn.
when i collected the tank i didnt even know he was in there the water was so cloudy, he was a nice surprise.
what other fish do you have? do you know much about your plec? any advise on his care would be appreciated

he looks just like george. how long is he? mine comes to the top of the tank when its time for feeding, eats the food from the surface. i also have a 55gal tank, ive not had it long and still have lots to learn. when i collected the tank i didnt even know he was in there the water was so cloudy, he was a nice surprise. what other fish do you have? do you know much about your plec? any advise on his care would be appreciated
He's 30cm now, (don't give me grief about the size of tank I'm upgrading just for him) we are planning on building a 150g or bigger once we have time , might be ok to start in a couple of weeks when my hubby hopefully has a bit of time !
I know he doesn't care much for driftwood , he loves shrimp wafers and cucumber and steamed broccoli stem, I tend to give him cucumber though as it doesn't smell the tank out like broccoli does lol... Just make sure he has a cave to hide in and nice clean water and good food :) I read an article on the web a couple of years ago saying plecos are like the elephants of the water world they need to consume quite large amounts of food ! Now I don't know if it's true or not but micks eats like an elephant lol.. Morning noon and night ;) he's out most of the day ,
I have 2 black skirt tetras, 2 white skirt tetras, 4 black neon tetras , 3 adult female guppies, 1 adult female Molly , 1 adult female platy (all my adults are reaching the end of their life span :( sad ) and some Molly/platy/guppy fry (who are being rehomed ) and 5 peppered corydoras

give you grief?? no, not me...im new to fishkeeping and i have been told to rehome george, i have tetras, cant remember their names, theres a glowy yellow one, 4 silver ones, 8 red and black finny ones and 2 dollars. im told that is too many, with george, but he is such a character i cant get rid of him, plus i really dont want to home him somewhere where the tank will end up looking like it did when i collected it...you couldnt see the fish unless they were right up front next to the glass.
the dollars and george are all what survived the first few weeks. i did loose a red and black finny one the other day, he was floating with no tail or fins i think george sucked him, he was the smallest out of the group.

thankyou for your veggie list, i normally just give him algae wafers but now he will have a better diet, even if no one in this house likes veggies lol

Same here he was in a tiny tank before I got him, his previous owners were going to flush him :( he's a beauty now x glad we are like minded ;)

That looks like gibbiceps to me, I had one, I kept it in a tank which can be seen in my pictures on my profile page(it's the 750 litre) it grew to 36cms before I had to return it to the shop. I downsized my collection to move. I'm gutted I miss him. I also kept the common plecostomus in this tank, hippostomus sp. this fish was larger at 46 cms. With a different pattern. I feel that this tank was barely acceptable in terms of size and I had to do two water changes per week each one between 100-200 litres. That was to keep on top of the amount of waste these guys produce.
|:fish1:|
Some people suggest 10 times length of fish for length of tank. It's a fair rule by my experience. Obviously more is better, given the chance these fish are active and the pattern is to die for, I'm a fan of loracidae.

View attachment 205490

this was a few weeks ago, his colour is a bit more patchy now, he has more darker patches. after reading the plec profile here i think he is a guy...lol...unlike me ?lol

there was a couple of austrailian rainbows, angel fish, chilids and a single neon tetra which was also a suprise to find, the tank was smelly and i nearly changed my mind about it.

Ok, I see what you mean. That perhaps is ideal for George. He looks like he has plenty of turning space and enough room to swim. You can tell when they are unhappy because the colour fades, and fast, it comes back just as quick. So then now all you have to do is beat your man into submission and get your tetra tank. :deadhorse:

Ok, I see what you mean. That perhaps is ideal for George. He looks like he has plenty of turning space and enough room to swim. You can tell when they are unhappy because the colour fades, and fast, it comes back just as quick. So then now all you have to do is beat your man into submission and get your tetra tank. :deadhorse:
he has pale patches :sorry:, i just thought that was normal, as someone here said they change to their surroundings...he is happily sucking on courgette at the moment :D
lol @ floggin a dead horse

This fish looks fine to me! The colour will turn in a split second. Chase it with a stick for a bit, don't do that, I'm joking! They go really pale, I've seen the most recent picture you posted yesterday or this morning I can't remember. It looks lovely, I think I said it was beautiful. The tank is what? 6x2x2ft. You will know when it fades it is the lightest shade all over. Don't worry.

One final note.

As this is the common plec profile it needs to be said that each river in South America has a common plec associated with it, there are numerous species that fall under the category "common" as they are common to that river system. Each common grows to a different size, with possibly some quite different care requirements to the common plec in the river next door. There are hundreds of river systems throughout South America.

Further to the above, the L system was devised as a way of mapping where each plecostomus comes from as similar looking species can be found in river systems of different parameters regarding mean Temperature and pH. This should also include turbidity and flow in order to be accurate.

Back
Top Bottom