Cons of a Pleco? (help save an innocent pleco!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, if my mom was hounding me to get a pleco for my 20 gallon I'd just tell her that they are very agressive and will eat other fish. It isn't true, plecos usually won't eat other fish, but if its the only way...

You could tell her about the size, and the recommend 3 oto cats. They are still "sucker fish" that will eat some algae, but only get to around 2 inches.

Or you could point out that the cory cats will eat the extra food that falls to the bottom because they are bottom dwellers.

Thanks, we have it figured out. I have a twenty nine gallon now, and convinced my mom to let me get a bristlenose. I already said that the cories would help with cleanup, but she said thy don't go up the sides eating algae. So we are getting a bristlenose.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

We have a magnetic glass scraper. I've read that they are better cleaners than the common a lot, and on multiple occasions seen them on the tank sides cleaning. I think the bristlenose will work fine. Even if it doesn't clean much for me, I still like them.

If you like the fish in its own right, then go for it. Glad your persistence has paid off. You'll enjoy the bristlenose, it is a lot more active during the daytime than a lot of other species I've kept.

severum mama said:
If you like the fish in its own right, then go for it. Glad your persistence has paid off. You'll enjoy the bristlenose, it is a lot more active during the daytime than a lot of other species I've kept.

I would never buy a fish just to solve some sort of problem. I buy a fish because I like the fish. I'm sure I will love my bristlenose. Thanks to you all for helping me.

Oh, forgot to mention... try a razor blade for glass scraping if you have some really tough spots that your magnet cleaner won't get.

I love Plecos, always have, but they are not a substitute for proper tank maintenance. In fact, the larger Plecos increase the need for cleaning.
Plus if you stick a large Pleco on a 20g tank, not only will you stunt his proper growth (but not enough to fit in the 20g) but you will stunt his life.
In a tank the correct size, a Pleco can live up to 20-30 years. In your tank he'll live 2-3 years, if he's lucky, and those years will be torture for him.
You can tell your Mom it's animal cruelty to knowingly put an animal in a cage/tank that will cause growth deformities.
And I work for the cause to make animal cruelty a felony. And it's gaining a lot of support.
Good luck, I know it's hard to force a, NO WAY, I WON'T DO IT, on a parent

I honestly think the topic of the thread should be changed. It'll bring replies due to the title alone. It's aslo going to bring negative responses whether the OP is being responsible now or not.

Tim Wheatley said:
I honestly think the topic of the thread should be changed. It'll bring replies due to the title alone. It's aslo going to bring negative responses whether the OP is being responsible now or not.

Just to clarify, I was always being responsible by trying to find an alternative to the common pleco.

Tim Wheatley said:
IMHO you weren't the problem, your mother was.

Okay. Thank you. She just doesn't understand it because she hasn't done the research I have. And she was going by a friend that thought he knew everything.

aquabeast said:
but, honestly, dont get a pleco.

I'm getting a bristlenose. If you had read all of the posts you would know that. I also upgraded to a twenty nine now.

I'm getting a bristlenose. If you had read all of the posts you would know that. I also upgraded to a twenty nine now.

The 29g is a much better idea, good for you.
I think you will love your Bristlenose. They are like a zippy little sports car to watch.
I also have a Bushynose, his name is Jed. My only advise is that when you buy yours, get the biggest one you can find and make sure it has a bit of a pot belly. It means he's eating well and hasn't recently been transported. The smaller ones are more delicate and susceptible to minor water changes. Once they get a little bigger (over2.5") they tolerate tank life better.

WendiDell said:
The 29g is a much better idea, good for you.
I think you will love your Bristlenose. They are like a zippy little sports car to watch.
I also have a Bushynose, his name is Jed. My only advise is that when you buy yours, get the biggest one you can find and make sure it has a bit of a pot belly. It means he's eating well and hasn't recently been transported. The smaller ones are more delicate and susceptible to minor water changes. Once they get a little bigger (over2.5") they tolerate tank life better.

Good tip!

tell her you don't want the pleco as an excuse to not clean. they're very messy fish and just add to the problem, mention if you want to get fish you know you are responsible for caring for them, and adding an algae eater would be like making an excuse to not care for them properly

Back
Top Bottom