convict in an 29?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yup that's great bc it makes it to where one female isnt being harrassed all the time. when my breed(theyre spawning as we speek) then ill be keeping a female for my tank.

I have had no luck whatsoever with keeping apistos in trios. I've lost several of the "odd females" when the other 2 paired and spawned. I would absolutely not recommend it for a 29.

*edit* I've tried this with several species, several different trios. I read all the time that trios are preferable to pairs but based on my personal experience I can't imagine why.

Last edited:
that stinks i was just wondering if it would be safe during spawning i could put a tank divider up and then put the male on the other side

im wondering too bc i really wanted to keep a baby female from mine or 2 since my corys had to be removed.

yea it would be interesting to try, but allaboutfish ur plan might not work bc of gene pools.

well if its offspring of the 2 you already have and then the male mates with the child the offspring could have external and internal defects i dont now the exact science but it most likely wont work you could trade the female child to avoid these problems(its been over two years since i studied gene pools in school).

well i wouldnt be keeping the fry ill probably get a fish that will eat eggs and fry after the first batch.

well i wouldnt be keeping the fry ill probably get a fish that will eat eggs and fry after the first batch.
well if your going to get another female make sure that its not closely related to the male you have, if its a distant relative it wont matter not that people will really know that is more helpful for dogs haha

that stinks i was just wondering if it would be safe during spawning i could put a tank divider up and then put the male on the other side

It would be the odd female you would have to put on the other side of the divider. The spawning female will try to kill her just as much as the male. Being able to see each other will stress both sides IMO.

what if there were three females? wouldnt the pregnant one feel too intimidated to attack or would it matter?

true but it would be 2v.2 so i have no clue what the chances would be

what if there were three females? wouldnt the pregnant one feel too intimidated to attack or would it matter?

They don't get "pregnant". The female lays eggs and the male fertilizes them once they are out of her body. Once she has eggs, she is extra aggressive because she's guarding them. We've had an a. atahualpa pair beat the living snot out of an adult angelfish 3x their size in a 46 gallon bow because they were guarding eggs.

Cichlids don't get intimidated when spawning. ;)

Back
Top Bottom