Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My set up is mixed and works fine. The biggest part and prob will cost the most is the regulator

EDIT: they do have a all in one kits out there

Don't know how I missed this but am following now!
did i say something wrong.(no english major here and has been know to say some stuff that makes no sense at all)

NVM, i can be a little slow, i get it now. your talking about the thread

Last edited:
I believe co2 regulators are different since co2 is corrosive. Also you would have to add a needle valve to that setup as for co2 injection it has to be a very slow addition.

I think most of the terminology is explained in that article I linked.

Basically you need:
Co2 cylinder
Regulator
Needle valve
Bubble counter
Method of diffusion

The Milwaukee will come with a regulator, needle valve and bubble counter. You would then need to procure a cylinder and method of diffusion. For the type setup you are planning I'd recommend a ceramic/glass diffuser. They are widely available on eBay and aquarium websites.

Well, for plants, I would really, really recommend the anarcharis plant. Very hardy plant, the hardiest I've had. It is one of the plants that gives off a good amount of good, processed oxygen to your tank. They are a background plant you can get it at petsmart for like $3 dollars for five stems. This might not be enough, but I would only buy five stems. In about two weeks, the plants would have new stems growing on them, just cut of the new stem where the root is coming out, and place it in a new part of your tank! It can survive almost any type of temperature. I have them in 65 and 72 degree water, very good plant. Also, the can use your fishes poo as a sort of fertilizer, and processes the poisonous nitrites in your water:)

I believe co2 regulators are different since co2 is corrosive. Also you would have to add a needle valve to that setup as for co2 injection it has to be a very slow addition.

I think most of the terminology is explained in that article I linked.

Basically you need:
Co2 cylinder
Regulator
Needle valve
Bubble counter
Method of diffusion

The Milwaukee will come with a regulator, needle valve and bubble counter. You would then need to procure a cylinder and method of diffusion. For the type setup you are planning I'd recommend a ceramic/glass diffuser. They are widely available on eBay and aquarium websites.

Thanks Justin, I'll piece everything together and post back for opinions.

Also consider Aquatek and GLA atomic regulators - the latter being my preference if budget permits.

If you want more of a minimalist approach to your rimless tank, you can avoid having more equipment in the tank by getting an inline diffuser (not to mention inline heater as well) if you go with a canister.

Last edited:
I have an aquatek regulator setup and it works well, although the needle valve can be touchy, but once it's dialed in, it's set.

Whichever you go with, just pick one that is a complete kit so you don't have to worry about getting a NV, bubble counter, solenoid, etc, it can get confusing.

I have an aquatek regulator setup and it works well, although the needle valve can be touchy, but once it's dialed in, it's set.

Whichever you go with, just pick one that is a complete kit so you don't have to worry about getting a NV, bubble counter, solenoid, etc, it can get confusing.

Ok thanks. That what I'm doing. I'm trying to find a all in one kit.

And thanks to all for being so patient with me as I have no idea what I'm doing with this lol. I'm reading and reading on line and get the idea now I'm just trying to get a handle on equipment. I have the tank lined up. 33.5 gallon rimless and I have the fixture the finnex Ray 2 and a canister filter the Fluval 06 with glass fittings.

Oh I have my substrate also picked out and have my scaping tools.

Once I get these co2 thing handled I'll start picking plants.

Oh another question. What are those things called that you can put into the substrate to stop the roots and plants from spreading? I want an open area with rocks as driftwood but no plants. I want plants on both sides but not in the middle(well the middle will be off center but you get the idea)

Then I found this

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9933

Last edited:
Man, you guys are all speaking Latin to me lmao. This threads been moving so fast I've been skimming a bit but what kind of fish stock are you thinking about (sorry if I skimmed over it already lol)

Back
Top Bottom