coralbandits fish room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bandit I'm happy that you've taken this lay off as good news (y) I don't know if I could say the same if that happened to me. My tank wouldn't be enough to keep me occupied. :) Stay warm buddie :fish2:
Thanks !
50+ tanks and plans man !:brows: I got a few high quality fish here...:cool:
Planning is key.... I turn 53 this month so I would hate to say I am surprised by repetitive behavior..:whistle:
Should only be a short 3 months and then back at it. By then I will look forward to it again , and knowing my company might even go back to the same job I was at last week !
It is 78 degrees with a RH of 47% in the fish room with tunes rocking ..
NICE AND TROPICAL !

Pretty cool to watch..
2 of the pairs that had fry in their tank have eaten them already. This is this pairs first spawn so we will see...Still fun to watch and marvel at...

Looking good. How are those picta holding up?

EDIT:

Just caught up, glad to see that you are getting fry. Sad to hear about the male Pelvicachromis, but you have plenty of fry growing out.

Get those black rams going asap.... I want some for sure! Lol.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Years Shane !
Looks like there may be a bunch of fry showing up from the picta..
Without the male I may let the female raise this group for a week or so.Then I will move her to the 29 with the hatchet fish and move her oldest into the 20...
I was surprised to hear from one of my buddies that the blacks were available..
Still waiting to hear how much....

Happy New Years Shane !
Looks like there may be a bunch of fry showing up from the picta..
Without the male I may let the female raise this group for a week or so.Then I will move her to the 29 with the hatchet fish and move her oldest into the 20...
I was surprised to hear from one of my buddies that the blacks were available..
Still waiting to hear how much....

I imagine it will not be cheap...

I wonder how strong of a line they will be.

Excited for you!

Got 3 new tanks for a steal yesterday..They are new and 1/3 the lowest price I could find on net..
jHuUgydl.jpg

They are 1.9 g tanks ! And they fit perfect across the top of a 40b with a little creativity..They are Deep Blue 3B tanks .12x6x6.
I moved the Pelvicachromis fry #2 [ 12/13/17 ] ,The Apisto bitaeniata fry 12/5/17 and the platinum angels from 12/18/17..
Here are the angels
V2DyjK1l.jpg

Caught the EBR/GBR fry from last video to give a better chance... Got them in a Dip and Pour in the parents tank.
Have a little room for whoever lays eggs next..:brows:
True to my word and digging being inside out the cold I have shaved !
Before[old guy]
UkT7Xx0l.jpg

After[still old guy but less gray] beside the shirt .. I like gray !
NxbbW3Gl.jpg

Got 3 new tanks for a steal yesterday..They are new and 1/3 the lowest price I could find on net..
jHuUgydl.jpg

They are 1.9 g tanks ! And they fit perfect across the top of a 40b with a little creativity..They are Deep Blue 3B tanks .12x6x6.
I moved the Pelvicachromis fry #2 [ 12/13/17 ] ,The Apisto bitaeniata fry 12/5/17 and the platinum angels from 12/18/17..
Here are the angels
V2DyjK1l.jpg

Caught the EBR/GBR fry from last video to give a better chance... Got them in a Dip and Pour in the parents tank.
Have a little room for whoever lays eggs next..:brows:
True to my word and digging being inside out the cold I have shaved !
Before[old guy]
UkT7Xx0l.jpg

After[still old guy but less gray] beside the shirt .. I like gray !
NxbbW3Gl.jpg

You'll be working in shorts all this winter :cool: .

Looking awesome! I wish my Fishroom was as sparkling clean as yours!

Looking awesome! I wish my Fish room was as sparkling clean as yours!
Thanks man ! Having time helps...:dance:
The female Pelvicachromis must have eaten the eggs? She has wandered the tank for 2 days ,with no sign of fry in tow or hidden. Spotted her in all three caves over the last 2 days but no fry /wigglers/or eggs in any?
So tonight when I was sure their were no fry in the cave with her I snapped her and cave up and moved her back to her original home the 29..It is different now and she is alone so I expect all may be well.. At least with the male gone I am not stuck with a 'plain Jane ' female fish.. She is beautiful...(y) Glad I took the first two spawns now for sure though...:whistle:
So I think tomorrow I will move her oldest fry into the 20 she was in. The water matches and I will change 50-75% anyways.. This will help them keep growing quickly and with any luck I will have a breeding pair again soon ..
That will free up a tank for fry from 12/2 to come out of their dip and pour...
Got another set of angel eggs but the jury is still out? 40% of the eggs seem to turn white in 24 hours after I took them indicating to me not fertilized...
This pair is very random and I am glad I have the juvis from them I do. I left these eggs with them for aday after I first saw them so they should have had time to be fertilized...
Apisto bitaeniata spawned again ,but very low number of eggs . I count 19 wigglers.. Only 3 of the previous batch survived .. They are in the 1.9g with their oldest brothers and sister...They are meeker feeding then the Pelvicachromis second batch next door that eat like it is a contest !

Moved the first and second spawn from the balloon male ram into a 5g tank today.. Interested to see if any are balloon..
And finally may have a chance to try to promote genetic further then with many rams. One of the original 3 pairs from the EBR/GBR cross lost his mate. I thought for a week about what to do.. Can't sell him as most are monogamous and did not want to just euthanize him so I found a 'maturing' female from a spawn of his brother and sister !!! So if these two breed the outcome should be very colorful ? She is much smaller then him but so far he seems to be liking her nicely.. She will grow fast in a tank with only herself and him compared to the group she had to contend with...:popcorn:

Awesome. By the way, I found a lead for you. Knowing how much you love swordtails, there’s a guy who frequently ventures down to Central America to collect cichlids, nearly 4 Times a year. I bet you two could be good buds... I need to find his email but he has a whole bunch of swords that I never knew existed and that are very pretty. His first name is Rusty. Will let you know!

Also, I have a juvenile male P. Kribensis moliwe at around 1.5 inches.. I can send him your way when it gets better out [emoji6].

Shane

So in awe of your fishroom Coralbandit. It’s beautiful. And your commitment to breeding and raising the youngsters is wonderful.

So in awe of your fishroom Coralbandit. It’s beautiful. And your commitment to breeding and raising the youngsters is wonderful.
Thank you T . :thanks:
" I live the dream " ...:dance:
I so enjoy my fish personally ,but in the last year or so I have gotten to share my fish with others which has been nothing but great .
I have become friends with many 'customers' I have met and always enjoy hearing from people how much they are enjoying my fish...
A highlight for me this summer was to send and receive fish to/from Hawaii !
Along with that 'notable accomplishment' I had a 'national breeder' [ my competition on sale forum] order 10 female Electric Blue Rams from me ! That pumped my breeders ego !:facepalm:
I never would have dreamed it could be like this for me...
I am lucky Mrs. bandit knew I was crazy when she married me 20+ years ago..:nono:
She still just shakes her head....I think she likes having me out of her hair !(y)

I have been patiently waiting to get 6+ Kuhlis for my 29 as I think they would be a great fish for a long term set up with my hatchet fish.. I know you like your Kuhlis ..

Kuhli’s are amazing. So cute and when they get confident in a tank they are out and about all the time.

Well the platinum angel eggs have gone bad ...100% I know the pair is fertile and wonder why they they challenge me ? I don't even think angel are all of that but think the platinums look nice. Maybe I will get rid of the pair and raise their fry in their tank ? My LFS loves big angels and a breeding pair is a plu$ .:whistle:
Same luck with the Apisto bitaeniata ..Low yield eggs and then failing in mass..4 wigglers left today out of 19 ..:facepalm:
I will leave the next set of eggs with the parents and see if they do better. I am thinking they are older fish as the male is easily 3 inches long ...I would like to get a couple more spawns from them if possible.
I have 4 Red picta fry swimming together in their tank with parents now for a week !
I am going to be trying to touch base with the breeder in Hawaii to see if small batches of fry are normal.. They are pretty good sized so it might just be the way ?
Also going to be trying to get in contact with my Alpha swordtail breeder and see if he has any special info. This fish needs to be bred from two different colors and as luck would have it my femaes are the Ruby reds and males are the Alphas !
Hoping to see fry from two females soon !:dance:
Shipped fish yesterday as it was the first day over freezing in over 14 days here ! Will be shipping a few more today as I am backlogged from taking one week off and the losses from the week after Christmas ...:nono:
Hoping to have better luck this week...:hide:

Found a couple more red picta fry this am.
Read some info saying spawns up to 25 so I will hope for larger spawns as the fish mature. I did get these guys as fry that were 1/2 inch or so.

Also found a nice link on the 'creation' of the Alpha swordtail,
Willkommen auf der Günther Schramm Gedenkseite
https://translate.googleusercontent...er.php&usg=ALkJrhiT2N56AJ12MlHbMQ4v-kM0BmFseA
I am working with Ruby red males and Alpha females so very hopeful for some great fry !

Noticing an interesting color pattern in the juvenile rams from my EBR male an GBR female cross back in June..The females are showing their black spot usually seen in the body on their dorsal fin !
This is the female I added back to her 'Uncles' tank in hopes of concentrating this strain a little. With rams it is difficult [to say the least] to use actual line breeding techniques due to life span and the fish choosing monogamy for the most part .. She and the male seem to be doing fine and she is growing [noticeably] every day...Hopefully eggs soon. :popcorn:
Erdd4pal.jpg

8dYp7jHl.jpg

This the pair. Crappy picture but note the size difference.
4w9d9djl.jpg

This is one of her brothers showing mostly electric blue coloring .You can see other females with similar spot in background.
3ALzpeBl.jpg

Found a couple more red picta fry this am.
Read some info saying spawns up to 25 so I will hope for larger spawns as the fish mature. I did get these guys as fry that were 1/2 inch or so.

Also found a nice link on the 'creation' of the Alpha swordtail,
Willkommen auf der Günther Schramm Gedenkseite
https://translate.googleusercontent...er.php&usg=ALkJrhiT2N56AJ12MlHbMQ4v-kM0BmFseA
I am working with Ruby red males and Alpha females so very hopeful for some great fry !

Noticing an interesting color pattern in the juvenile rams from my EBR male an GBR female cross back in June..The females are showing their black spot usually seen in the body on their dorsal fin !
This is the female I added back to her 'Uncles' tank in hopes of concentrating this strain a little. With rams it is difficult [to say the least] to use actual line breeding techniques due to life span and the fish choosing monogamy for the most part .. She and the male seem to be doing fine and she is growing [noticeably] every day...Hopefully eggs soon. :popcorn:
Erdd4pal.jpg

8dYp7jHl.jpg

This the pair. Crappy picture but note the size difference.
4w9d9djl.jpg

This is one of her brothers showing mostly electric blue coloring .You can see other females with similar spot in background.
3ALzpeBl.jpg

Looking great, that’s an interesting coloration.

Glad to hear that red picta are picking up for you.

What a blessing it would be if the black spotted dorsal fin trait continues on your female German Rams. No more guess work selecting pairs for customers.
The noted black blotch dorsal fin trait is also promonate on the Salvini and Festae cichlid females.

What a blessing it would be if the black spotted dorsal fin trait continues on your female German Rams. No more guess work selecting pairs for customers.
The noted black blotch dorsal fin trait is also promonate on the Salvini and Festae cichlid females.
That would be cool if it was sex marker !
I do pretty good sexing my own rams ,even the electric .
I am enjoying getting 'something different' and look forward to new changes ..
Those fish are just over 3 months old and should start spawning , although small soon.

T it is so cool to watch little colorless fish develop into miniature versions of their parents.. I take great pleasure in watching all my fish . The more I do for them the more they do for me !(y)

Back
Top Bottom