Crabs or Shrimp for freshwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LudicrouSpeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I almost picked up a Fiddler crab on a whim for my wife, who thought it was really cute. Did some research ans found that they are semi-aquatic and brackish... not a good fit for my little tank of live bearers.

If I can't give a crab a good life in my tank, what other crustaceans can I try? Who has tried shrimp? What's a good kind?

I have several fiddlers in a freshwater tank but they also have potted plants they climb on to be above the water level, then climb back down. There's a toy they rest on sometimes above the water. They're rascals lol, you have to make sure there's no way they can escape because they will try then hide in your house. I put electrical tape over the open areas near the filter and heater, cause they'll climb up those things and find their way out haha. I'm sure shrimp might be a little easier to handle than a bunch of escape artists lol.

If you go with shrimp, I noticed they tend to prefer well established tanks.. They never worked well with my newer tanks. :)

Thai micro crabs dissappear and are rarely seen lol look into mexican orange dwarf crayfish. Peaceful but with he attitude of a killer lol

I have both red clawed and fiddlers in a 90g community , I use an atlantis underwater island (like a diving bell) in my tank my crabs love it fresh air whenever they need it and they can come and go as they please. Oh and no climbing out of the tank any more.uploadfromtaptalk1396233777784.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396233810719.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396233998329.jpg

Sent from my Gallaxy S3 using my wet arms and hands!!

I almost picked up a Fiddler crab on a whim for my wife, who thought it was really cute. Did some research ans found that they are semi-aquatic and brackish... not a good fit for my little tank of live bearers.

If I can't give a crab a good life in my tank, what other crustaceans can I try? Who has tried shrimp? What's a good kind?

This is a 10g with 3 Mollies ?
You could try Ghost Shrimp or 1 or 2 Amanos. RCS or CRS would just get killed. CRS are very sensitive to water quality and Mollies are super messy and usually need 20-30g tanks.

What is your current stock ?
Any live plants ?
Pic of the tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both red clawed and fiddlers in a 90g community , I use an atlantis underwater island (like a diving bell) in my tank my crabs love it fresh air whenever they need it and they can come and go as they please. Oh and no climbing out of the tank any more.View attachment 231015View attachment 231016View attachment 231017

Sent from my Gallaxy S3 using my wet arms and hands!!

That is so clever! I've never seen one before. There's an air hose connected, I'm assuming?

I have both red clawed and fiddlers in a 90g community , I use an atlantis underwater island (like a diving bell) in my tank my crabs love it fresh air whenever they need it and they can come and go as they please. Oh and no climbing out of the tank any more.

Haha they are little escape artists. I ended up putting a book over the opening of my tanks hood, then some electrical tape over other small openings in the hood. What I like about the fiddlers is they last a long time, my buddy had some and had to attend to a family emergency which ended up keeping him away for about a month, he came back and they were still alive and some had molted and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom