Crushed coral for africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either my dwarf puffers or my tiger barbs would probably be the messiest. So I just shake it around in the water then I can put it back in the older tank? I have seachem prime is that what I should use when adding the water or just regular water conditioner?

I put the media in the tank and then use that filter to complete the cycling. If you just put media in and then return it to another tank it's just making the water dirty and not really seeding.

Seachem Prime is water conditioner.

Gotcha that's what I figured , so the prime is the way to go I guess. That won't hurt the tank I'm taking the filter out of? It shouldn't mini cycle if take the filter out of my tiger barb tank right? Sorry still pretty new at this am so grateful for all the help thus far I'm buying a full liquid test kit soon right now all I have is a liquid ammonia test but that should be all I need for the first week right? I'll have the full kit on payday.

The main thing you are watching for is nitrAtes. When you start seeing those build up that means the BB is growing and converting nitrItes and ammonia to nitrAtes.

If you take it off and put a brand new filter in place you could notice a mini cycle, a great way to beat this is split up the existing media with new media and put one in the new tank and one in the existing that way you are losing BB.

Sounds like a good idea to me I'm going to get my substrate in tonight let set for 24 hours then get started on my cycle will post water parameters soon after that probably start a new thread with them as I will probably fill this one up with more questions in the mean time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me thus far.

Anytime! Rinse rinse rinse that substrate. And when you are done. Rinse it again. The warmer the water the easier it is for some reason. That one I have know clue why.

Ok didn't know that thanks for the input I have pretty hot water so hopefully that helps out.

Do I absolutely need a background on this tank or can I just leave it without one?

You don't need it but it always looks better with it do you don't see the wires behind the tank. I always recommend to paint it that way you don't see water or air bubbles between the tank and the background.

Ok I'll probably pick one up tomorrow looks like I'm going to have to wait on putting in the substrate and getting it started.

Malawi Freak said:
What I have always done to seed a tank is when I know about it in advance I'll let a filter get REALLY nasty and then just swish the media around in the new tank so the water looks terrible. Then I put the media back in that filter and run it on the new tank for a couple weeks. By this point I test the water and start performing water changes until the tank is completely cycled. I've been able to complete this in just over 2 weeks once but usually around 3 weeks.

I thought if you use a filter with media from an existing tank and just switch it to a new tank, the new tan would be instantly cycled? I asked before because I have a spare tank to use for when I have a female holding. I was told that when that happens I ca just fill the new tank with water, add an existing filter and the new tank would be instantly cycled? Is that wrong?

It won't be instantly cycled but it's safe to add fish. If you used existing substrate and a filter that has been running for some time then you would be instantly seeded.

Ok so I have about 50 pounds of crushed coral in this tank and it really almost seems like enough I bought 80 pounds though

Just waiting for the water to clear before I post pics. Washed that crushed coral for literally hours still the water is cloudy as heck when input the water in.

Back
Top Bottom