Cycling My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaynick1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I cycle my ten gal fresh water tank with fish in it? Does this nutrafin cycle stuff work that the store sold me?

I always try not to use chemicals in tanks. A lot of time you see all these things in stores that look and sound fantastic but is unnecessary. The best way to cycle a tank of course is without fish so that the level changes do not stress them. When did you set the tank up and when did you add the fish?

I set it up about a week ago. I put the fish in the day after I set it up. The fish are active I only put two in to start. I tested the water today with the dip stick, it didn't give me numbers it just say ideal,safe,stressed or dangerous. It came out saying stressed.

Please invest in a decent liquid test kit. The API kit is highly recommended.Strips are inaccurate at best. A good water conditioner such as Prime is also a good idea. While your tank is cycling, you will need to test the water daily & do water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to keep toxin levels in check. Heres a link with some more info. Please ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom