Cycling problem :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok... My tank has been cycling for 4 months!! It never gets past the ammonia stage but now... Im not fully sure... It might be going to the nitrite stage... I have 'new' gravel in my tank and only acouple of small plants. There is now leaf-like things hanging off the glass in my tank. It is a clear-white colour and hangs from one end. I can get it off with my glass cleaner but it just grows back :/ I don't have a heater in there yet and the water is also starting to get cloudy and there is a layer of slime on the top of the tank ever since I filled the water way above the filter sucky... Part? :S
I might have added too much food :/ lol

That's the best photo I could get of it :/

Attachments

• image-2148907198.jpg
    image-2148907198.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 65
Oh wait... This one is lol

Attachments

• image-2894323030.jpg
    image-2894323030.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 65
Whens the last time you did a PWC?? What are the parameters? What procedure are you following to cycle the tank? What kind of filtrat?ion do you have? How big is the tank?

paytertot said:
Whens the last time you did a PWC?? What are the parameters? What procedure are you following to cycle the tank? What kind of filtrat?ion do you have? How big is the tank?

Would have been when I set it up and a 50% half way though..
Ammonia 20
Nitrite just starting to go up
No nitrates
Ehiem 2 something :S lol
And it's a 67 gallon

Um, are there fish in the tank? If ammonia is 20 that's your problem; it's too high and the cycle can't start and if you have fish that level is deadly. Are you dosing ammonia or are there fish in there? What test kit are you using (the liquid kits usually don't go to 20; if you're using strips they aren't very accurate)? What's the temp of the tank? Is there any surface movement from an air stone or water splashing the surface from the filter?

Whether there's fish in there or not I'd suggest a few 100% water changes with dechlorinator to get that ammonia down.

I would do a fairly large water change ASAP. I use some of the blue filter pad you can get a roll of it for cheap at your LFS to scrub the glass if it starts to get yucky. Maybe do daily water changes for about a week till your water clears up, then switch to weekly?

I'm no expert, still learning a lot myself, but I would say 20 ppm of ammonia is too high. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

^ 20ppm is deadly, even 5ppm can lead to death, you want 0-0.25ppm ammo and no more (except during a fishless cycle in which case you want to stay under 5ppm I believe)

Kingzilla said:
^ 20ppm is deadly, even 5ppm can lead to death, you want 0-0.25ppm ammo and no more (except during a fishless cycle in which case you want to stay under 5ppm I believe)

I'm keeping mine at .25 for fish in, wasn't sure what you could get away with for fishless in a large tank. Either way he needs to get that ammonia way down.

They haven't said if they have fish yet, but I'm guessing if the ammonia was 20 ppm and they did, they probably don't have fish anymore. You also said you didn't have a heater and the bacteria likes warmer water so that could be another reason for your slow cycle. We will need more details about your cycle to help you though.

-.-' sorry guys I meant 2.0 lol
After I filled the water there isn't anything breaking the surface of the water
Sometimes the ammonia goes Higher to around 7-8ppm but it depends on how much food I put

pattyfurg said:
-.-' sorry guys I meant 2.0 lol
After I filled the water there isn't anything breaking the surface of the water
Sometimes the ammonia goes Higher to around 7-8ppm but it depends on how much food I put

Haha, okay that's good! I think you frightened us all! You still need to go invest in a heater suitable for that tank(id keep it around 80), and invest some time into water changes. Have you done one yet? I would say try to be more consistent with how much flake you are putting in, if your ammonia is 2 that's fine but try to keep it there so the nitrites can catch up. I don't think its a good idea If you keep it around two and let it rise to 8 by accidentally adding too much food. If you dose too much maybe water change and detoxifier?

Billbug68 said:
Haha, okay that's good! I think you frightened us all! You still need to go invest in a heater suitable for that tank(id keep it around 80), and invest some time into water changes. Have you done one yet? I would say try to be more consistent with how much flake you are putting in, if your ammonia is 2 that's fine but try to keep it there so the nitrites can catch up. I don't think its a good idea If you keep it around two and let it rise to 8 by accidentally adding too much food. If you dose too much maybe water change and detoxifier?

Lol I did have a heater in there but I needed it for my other temporary tank :S I got some good pay this week so I may go buy another one I've only ever done a water change about half way through and it was a 50%
I am always used to the packets of food where it's impossible to put too much lol so then I had a tub of food and I accidentally put too much sometimes :S
Iv now ran out of stability... Is that a good product or is there a better one out there that I should get? :/

No experience with stability, so no opinion on that. We'll have to wait for someone else to chime in. I've heard people say they don't do water changes while cycling but maybe that's if it only take 4 weeks or so. I'd never let a tank sit 2-4 months without a water change. You def need take care of that ASAP! I'd say most people are doing water changes once a week. Lol it's bad enough you have to stare at an empty tank while cycling, at least make it clear and somewhat pleasing to the eye! Haha

Aaww man -.- I'm too lazy haha I think I'll just lower the water level so that there's something breaking the water and I'll get a heater on thursday XD

You don't have to do water changes in a fishless cycle IF you are dosing pure ammonia (which is the best way to go) but since you are using fish food, you do have to keep it clean. Not too much tho or you won't have an ammo source lol. So just change the water but don't vacuum

So I should leave the food on the bottom of the tank :/ lol I was trying so hard to get pure ammonia but then I found out it was illegal in Australia -.- lol

Pure ammonia may be illegal in Australia, but is ammonium hydroxide? It's basically 10 % ammonia and 90% water.

Iv looked everywhere :/ even though youre not meant to use ammonium chloride I looked for that too and I can't find any product :/

Back
Top Bottom