Cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rendao said:
Yeah, nice one. You are definitely on your way. You could always look into plants while you are waiting. It's good to spend some time just looking at how you want the tank to be.

Are there any plants that require minimal/no fertilization and can withstand destructive mbuna? The only one I could think of was Java moss and maybe an anubias bur I can't afford a Co2 system or special lights.

Maxkolbe said:
Are there any plants that require minimal/no fertilization and can withstand destructive mbuna? The only one I could think of was Java moss and maybe an anubias bur I can't afford a Co2 system or special lights.

They should be ok. I am no expert, but I am sure I read somewhere that both those plants would be fine. Give it a go!! And let me know how you get on. Good luck.

Those plants sound good & really dont need anything special. I swear my anubias would be fine if i stuck them in a bowl of water & threw them in a closet for month! They are pretty hardy plants! Marimo moss balls are hardy too & look kinda neat. :)

Tested water
Ammonia- 0.25 :) !!!
Nitrite- 1ppm
Nitrate- between 20 and 40 ppm
Figured out what was wrong with my nitrite test after lots of trial and error, I wasn't shaking the darn vial hard enough!

Looks like my cycle is really starting to get underway! :)
I'll continue to add more flakes with the ammonia, it looks like it helped!

Fishing line or clear nylon type thread ($1 spool) works well to attach them. How are things going today?

Attached the anubias, looks great! They had a buy 2 get one free sale at petco so I got one that had narrow leaves for FREE.
Water levels are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite just over 2ppm
Nitrate between 40 and 80 ppm

I have to tell the people who are watching our house how much ammonia to add tomorrow. Does enough to raise it 2ppm sound good?

Here are some pics of the anubias, there's two on the driftwood and one in the sand next to it. The other plants are fake but they look great!

Attachments

• image-772552907.jpg
    image-772552907.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 71
Good luck, Max! Yes, make sure you give specific instructions to whomever is going to dose your tank. 2ppm sounds good because this is where you have been successful so far. Enjoy your Christmas holiday!!

Added more ammonia.
Just wanted to say merry Christmas and thanks for all the help you've given me so far.

Reactions: jlk
Tested
Ammonia 0
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - I'm assuming this isn't as important to test so I didn't test it today

Adding more ammonia

Hi Guys!

New member, 1st post. 2nd tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 over sized Oscars that have been in there for 18 months. I set up a 90 gallon tank on Thursday to move them into. I'm using a NEW Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 400 GPH and a Marineland Penguin w/Bio-Wheel 350 GPH that I took out of my existing tank (I had 2 of these on my existing tank). I added about 2 pounds of existing gravel to the new tank. I used TopFin Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement on Thursday. I noticed today the water was a cloudy white color. I am assuming this is the bacteria bloom stage.

The guy at the pet store suggested I use a few feeder fish in the tank to assist in the cycling, so I added 7 today. He also suggested I remove 50 gallons from the existing tank, put the fish in a bucket, siphon the existing water into the new tank and then put the fish in the new tank. At 1st I thought he was crazy, but then I thought about them having more than 2/3 of their existing water in the new tank. It would be like doing a big water change.

What should I do?

Right now the new tank is:

Ammonia: .2
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alkalinity: 80
pH: 7.5
Temp: 80 Degrees

Thanks guys
AJ

Tested
Ammonia 0
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - I'm assuming this isn't as important to test so I didn't test it today

Adding more ammonia

Hi Max! Your amm is at zero- YAY! This is good! Lets keep an eye on your nitrites, nitrates, & ph & let us know how things are going! Look forward to your updates! Merry christmas!!! :)

Hi Guys!

New member, 1st post. 2nd tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 over sized Oscars that have been in there for 18 months. I set up a 90 gallon tank on Thursday to move them into. I'm using a NEW Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 400 GPH and a Marineland Penguin w/Bio-Wheel 350 GPH that I took out of my existing tank (I had 2 of these on my existing tank). I added about 2 pounds of existing gravel to the new tank. I used TopFin Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement on Thursday. I noticed today the water was a cloudy white color. I am assuming this is the bacteria bloom stage.

The guy at the pet store suggested I use a few feeder fish in the tank to assist in the cycling, so I added 7 today. He also suggested I remove 50 gallons from the existing tank, put the fish in a bucket, siphon the existing water into the new tank and then put the fish in the new tank. At 1st I thought he was crazy, but then I thought about them having more than 2/3 of their existing water in the new tank. It would be like doing a big water change.

What should I do?

Right now the new tank is:

Ammonia: .2
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alkalinity: 80
pH: 7.5
Temp: 80 Degrees

Thanks guys
AJ

Hi aj! You should post a new thread in the 'getting started' segment of the fw forum to get a better response. Im trying to get an idea of what you are doing with this new tank- you added a filter from your est tank & added a bunch of 'feeder' fish? What did you add? Im afraid this advice is misinformed at best- do you plan on keeping these fish once your tank is cycled? If not, please return them & do a fishless cycle with your tank with your established media/filter. Your second option would be to do a fish-in cycle with the fish you plan on keeping. Please read up on fish-in & fishless cycling so you can decide what you what to pursue.

Last edited:
Just got back from my trip, rushed downstairs to test the water and here's how it looks.
Ammonia- 1ppm???
Nitrite- 1ppm
Nitrate- 40ppm

Neighbors did not add any ammonia today so I had figured that my bacteria would be able to handle 2ppm of ammonia.

Where did the ammonia come from? Am I going through an ammonia spike? don't those come before a nitrite spike? can you be having both at once?

I am confused so any advice given is appreciated, I'll dose up to 4ppm and see how things look tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom