Cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you checked your ph? Its possible it may have dropped/jumped & caused things to slow down. Lets see how things look tommorrow-it may be time for water change!

Just checked the PH, it's at 8.4. This is where it's been throughout the cycle. I believe that the rise in ammonia may be attributed to either

- the introduction of plants (maybe?)
OR
- the drop in ammonia from when we were gone.

Either way I'll be sure to check the water tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice, you've been a BIG help. :)

Here's how everything looks today
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm :)
Nitrate- between 40 and 80 ppm

I think my tank is cycled. Here's the big question, can I get fish tomorrow or should I dose up to 4ppm and wait 24 hours just to be sure?

YAY!!! Congrats, Max! Just to be safe, dose your ammonia for another couple days (2-3) just to be sure that your ammonia & nitrites are zeroing out consistently. If they do, you are officially cycled!!! The day you are ready for fish, skip the amm, do a big wc down to the bottom (it may take more than 1) with water conditioner to get your nitrates as low as possible, & adjust the temp for your fish. Enjoy your new tank & fish & i hope to see pics soon!! :) :) :)

YAY!!! Congrats, Max! Just to be safe, dose your ammonia for another couple days (2-3) just to be sure that your ammonia & nitrites are zeroing out consistently. If they do, you are officially cycled!!! The day you are ready for fish, skip the amm, do a big wc down to the bottom (it may take more than 1) with water conditioner to get your nitrates as low as possible, & adjust the temp for your fish. Enjoy your new tank & fish & i hope to see pics soon!! :) :) :)

I agree. Looks very promising though! What fish are you thinking of getting? Search YouTube for "drip acclimation;" it's the best way to acclimate fish to a new tank. Congrats again. :D

I'm going to get some mbuna and probably some syndontis catfish, I have another thread under cichlids if you would like to see my ideas or give advice.

Good luck, Max! I cant advise you with cichlids (goldfish are my speciality) but i will check out your thread! :)

Maxkolbe said:
Everything zeroed out today! If it looks Ok tomorrow I think I'm getting fish on Monday! :)

Cool, hope you enjoy bringing the tank to life.

Did two HUGE water changes and made a lot of spills in the process until nitrates were at ten. Then we added Bruce our cobalt zebra. He was really stressed out so I turned off the lights. :(

Need to get Bruce tank mates tomorrow but I need ideas. If you have a suggestion I have a thread titled "need ideas fast!" where you can post them. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, I couldn't have done it without you! :D

Got my fish today! :) :D :)

They didn't have the species I was thinking to get but had a bunch of other ones!

Tank looks AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom