DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
i cant seem to grasp your concept lol im sorry, which numbers???? hahaha

Put one at #4 and one right before the first elbow. The one closest to the pump under the tank. So the tubing would come out of the pump and go up, just before the PVC turns add the first check valve. It should be a couple inches above the water line.

Now having said all that, your plumbing may be more complicated then it needs to be. The ball valve will be crazy hard to reach in the back. You should be able to keep all the PVC under the tank with the exception of the one line going to the back hole. That would mean that the plumbing would start at the pump, go up, then a check, then an elbow sending it left towards the return under the tank. A "T" would send it up to the first return with a ball valve to control flow there, and the other part of the"T" would send it back to the second return. That low return would start with a ball valve that would be horizontal so you can reach it from under the tank. When the low return turns upward you add the other check valve. This would give you a safe return system that would be easier to reach once the tank is in place. Does that make sense? I know this must sound complicated by text. Ouch!

CorallineAlgae said:
Put one at #4 and one right before the first elbow. The one closest to the pump under the tank. So the tubing would come out of the pump and go up, just before the PVC turns add the first check valve. It should be a couple inches above the water line.

Now having said all that, your plumbing may be more complicated then it needs to be. The ball valve will be crazy hard to reach in the back. You should be able to keep all the PVC under the tank with the exception of the one line going to the back hole. That would mean that the plumbing would start at the pump, go up, then a check, then an elbow sending it left towards the return under the tank. A "T" would send it up to the first return with a ball valve to control flow there, and the other part of the"T" would send it back to the second return. That low return would start with a ball valve that would be horizontal so you can reach it from under the tank. When the low return turns upward you add the other check valve. This would give you a safe return system that would be easier to reach once the tank is in place. Does that make sense? I know this must sound complicated by text. Ouch!

Very confusing! Hahaha but I think I get what u mean.. I'm gonna fiddle around with it today.. I might go out n buy check valves.. any other place you'd recommend other than BRS for valves? Would Lowe's be ok?

DanS180 said:
Very confusing! Hahaha but I think I get what u mean.. I'm gonna fiddle around with it today.. I might go out n buy check valves.. any other place you'd recommend other than BRS for valves? Would Lowe's be ok?

I don't know if Lowe's would have them but it's never a bad idea to check. BRS sells valves that are known to work with reefs (low pressure systems).

It is confusing. The real objective is to visualize how the plumbing will work once the tank is in place. You want your ball valves to be within easy reach. If they will be reachable the way you have it then it's perfectly fine to use the manifold you already designed. You can scoot the tank against the wall and see if it's a good design. Never glue up the pipes until you know every adjustable part is within easy reach once the tank is in it's final position.

CorallineAlgae said:
I don't know if Lowe's would have them but it's never a bad idea to check. BRS sells valves that are known to work with reefs (low pressure systems).

It is confusing. The real objective is to visualize how the plumbing will work once the tank is in place. You want your ball valves to be within easy reach. If they will be reachable the way you have it then it's perfectly fine to use the manifold you already designed. You can scoot the tank against the wall and see if it's a good design. Never glue up the pipes until you know every adjustable part is within easy reach once the tank is in it's final position.

Well the way I had it I was able to get to both ball valves with no problem. Under the tank or on the side, either way I can reach em.. I think I'm gonna keep it the way it is.. maybe change 1 or 2 things not sure

Found check valves at Lowes for about $7.50 each..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121115_121931.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121115_121931.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 80
That's good. As long as you can reach the valves you're golden.

They should have an arrow showing allowed flow direction. If not just check which direction the water flows through it and marker your own arrow. :)

CorallineAlgae said:
That's good. As long as you can reach the valves you're golden.

They should have an arrow showing allowed flow direction. If not just check which direction the water flows through it and marker your own arrow. :)

Lol just saw the arrow.. it blends in and is very tiny lol good stuff

Could you switch you check valve and ball valve above the T. Then turn the ball valve so you could reach thru the bottom to use it?

Could you switch you check valve and ball valve above the T. Then turn the ball valve so you could reach thru the bottom to use it?

i can reach the T from the side of my tank with no problems. and yeah i can switch the ball valve and check valve... does it matter which order they go in??

EDIT : 2000 posts for me :)

DanS180 said:
i can reach the T from the side of my tank with no problems. and yeah i can switch the ball valve and check valve... does it matter which order they go in??

EDIT : 2000 posts for me :)

It can matter. I agree 100% with mrc. Check valves work better under higher pressure. Having it above the ball would let the pressure of the whole tank force the check valve off even if the ball valve was mostly closed.

Is the low check valve vertical? Hard to tell on my iPod.

Thumbs up!

CorallineAlgae said:
It can matter. I agree 100% with mrc. Check valves work better under higher pressure. Having it above the ball would let the pressure of the whole tank force the check valve off even if the ball valve was mostly closed.

Is the low check valve vertical? Hard to tell on my iPod.

Thumbs up!

Okay then I'll switch the 2 around.. I have the one check valve vertical and the other one(near the pump) going horizontally

DanS180 said:
Okay then I'll switch the 2 around.. I have the one check valve vertical and the other one(near the pump) going horizontally

Better to have it vertical if possible but it may depend on the valve.

CorallineAlgae said:
Better to have it vertical if possible but it may depend on the valve.

I can't if I have it over there... there's no room to make it vertical :/

actually, i can make it vertical.. but the plumbing will be closer to the ground if i do which i dont have a problem with. ill see if i can do it, and post another pic up when im done

Back
Top Bottom