DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Better? Both are vertical now

No. That won't work at all. You won't have any head pressure at the top of the check valve that way. It won't shut it off. Actually, it'll stop the water from the pump from going into the tank unless you put it upside down! Remember, the water will be flowing "down" in the spot where it is now as opposed to "up" where the other check valve is. Visualize the flow.

If it can't be right above the main pump (best place) you'll have to put it under the the overflow return. It will secure the main return line in that spot but won't be a backup for the rear return.

CorallineAlgae said:
No. That won't work at all. You won't have any head pressure at the top of the check valve that way. It won't shut it off. Actually, it'll stop the water from the pump from going into the tank unless you put it upside down! Remember, the water will be flowing "down" in the spot where it is now as opposed to "up" where the other check valve is. Visualize the flow.

If it can't be right above the main pump (best place) you'll have to put it under the the overflow return. It will secure the main return line in that spot but won't be a backup for the rear return.

Wow this is frustrating lol so ur saying to put it directly above the return pump? Like pump, PVC, valve, PVC, then rest of the system??

DanS180 said:
Like This??

Exactly. Perfect perfect perfect. That's the ideal spot to use it. Now it'll prevent back flow for the whole return and you still have another check on the critical return line. Bonus is you won't have to run your pipes so low in the back! It took a while but you have a proper apartment safe tank. Just make sure all the arrows are pointing toward the top tank and it's game on.

Exactly. Perfect perfect perfect. That's the ideal spot to use it. Now it'll prevent back flow for the whole return and you still have another check on the critical return line. Bonus is you won't have to run your pipes so low in the back! It took a while but you have a proper apartment safe tank. Just make sure all the arrows are pointing toward the top tank and it's game on.

finallllyyyyy!!! :) hahaha thanks for being so patient with me!!... i think im just gonna leave it the way it is now, im running outta PVC pipe and dont feel like making yet another trip to Lowes lol so i guess ill start glueing everything together once i finish with leak testing the sump.... theres not a whole lot of wiggle room under the tank :/

No problem Dan. I'm glad to hear you got it. Can't wait for the system test. This is going to be one heck of an upgrade from your first tank!

No problem Dan. I'm glad to hear you got it. Can't wait for the system test. This is going to be one heck of an upgrade from your first tank!

well i after tomorrow i will have everything i need to run the tank, wont have any lights yet but thats okay bc itll be cycling for awhile anyways...

Now, next question... after much reading, ive decided to go WITHOUT a filter sock and just run the intake pvc pipe into the sump and just have it submerged... any objections to this method?

DanS180 said:
well i after tomorrow i will have everything i need to run the tank, wont have any lights yet but thats okay bc itll be cycling for awhile anyways...

Now, next question... after much reading, ive decided to go WITHOUT a filter sock and just run the intake pvc pipe into the sump and just have it submerged... any objections to this method?

I much rather not have a sock myself. Having one around isn't bad in the unlikely event something crazy happens like a kid putting a ton of food in the tank or maybe when you blow built-up detritus off of your rock every 6 months or so. For that it's nice to have a sock around but otherwise I never bother either. They're a big pain.

I much rather not have a sock myself. Having one around isn't bad in the unlikely event something crazy happens like a kid putting a ton of food in the tank or maybe when you blow built-up detritus off of your rock every 6 months or so. For that it's nice to have a sock around but otherwise I never bother either. They're a big pain.

thats the exact response i was looking for.. a lot of people said the same thing, okay so NO sock for my tank other than for safety measures haha

Well almost all of the plumbing is glued into place.. I got blue PVC cement on the carpet tho :/ lol

Tomorrow Ill get my RODI unit and start making water tomorrow night hopefully.

Just realized I still need to get sand and more rock... darn

I personally would never run a sump without a sock lol. It really does keep a lot of debris out of the sump which is really hard to clean do to it being nearly on the floor and keeps down a lot of potential nitrates/phosphates if cleaned regularly which I've never minded.

Mrc8858 said:
I personally would never run a sump without a sock lol. It really does keep a lot of debris out of the sump which is really hard to clean do to it being nearly on the floor and keeps down a lot of potential nitrates/phosphates if cleaned regularly which I've never minded.

Well I wouldn't be able to get to it if I had one. Inside of my stand is going to be so tight it's ridiculous... id rather just do without one.. one less thing to clean every now n then.

Plus I plan on getting a GFO/Carbon reactor as well

Im so mad.. I just spent over $200 at BRS a few days ago and I just got an email today stating they're having a special coupon for 12% off! Lol darn you BRS! Oh well guess I'll get more stuff lol

It seems they always send you that coupon or something similar right after a purchase. I think they are just trying to entice you into a second one sooner then you would have liked haha

Mrc8858 said:
It seems they always send you that coupon or something similar right after a purchase. I think they are just trying to entice you into a second one sooner then you would have liked haha

Well its gonna work! I need to get a couple small things anyways haha... well played, BRS, well played lol

Back
Top Bottom