Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Keith...,i went out side this morning with a cup of hawaiian coffee and watched the sunrise., it was bitter sweet to say the least.., btw your shop is really coming right along , good work
Here's a Hawaii photo for you of my dive partner (wife) in a lava tube full of silversides and my flashlight with a lion fish on it. Shot off the big island. I haven't been back in over 14 years and am due for a trip myself. Sure hope everything works out for you and yours.

Attachments

• image-959914368.jpg
    image-959914368.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I'm sorry all this happened. My best wishes are with your family. Hopefully you can use those tickets again soon, and I hope things work out ok with the future court proceedings.

Thank you guys for the well wishes,... it means a lot ,...I did manage to get my cleaning deposit returned from the condo rental $200+ , a small token but a little battle won :)

This whole thing has blossomed very nicely into a total nite mare... The other nite out of the blue my boss and one of my co workers showed up at my door unexpectedly with a 12 pack of longboards to try and cheer me up ( it worked ... Sort of )
Decided to try and finish up my aquarium's stand by adding to it and extending it around the main door and on.., got another 10-12 days of vacation so i might use it to my advantage...help me mr wizard !!

You're showing your age Dary. Mr. Wizard was my favorite show when I was 10. Still attribute him and Apollo for my interest in science.

What would Mr. Wizard do? He would drink the beer, build the cabinet and then suck a hard boiled egg into a milk bottle.

Donald Jeffry Herbert (born Donald Herbert Kemske and better known as Mr. Wizard, July 10, 1917.

Well I decided to use this time off to my advantage ,..I've decided to extend my tanks cabinet to the front door then build a 12 inch wide and 12 foot long cabinet over the door to the other side of the living room and beyond.... So far I've made my token two trips to home depot and one trip to dixieline lumber for a total of around $200 in supplies ( so far ),...of course the beer tab may exceed the actual building material cost by the time I'm finished but after all this is my makeshift vacation .
Tank wise I decided to add a small dim able led moon light to my setup,...I know Doug doesn't like them but due to my job's nature ,I'm up and about every morning at about 2:30 to 3 am,...my tanks lights ( and usually me too) are set to go out around 6pm,..my girl friend usually comes over after the tank's shut down for the nite and is completely dark,, she always goes over and looks things over but even her bat like eyes can't see too much of what's going on ,so I decided to go ahead and get a little moonlight system rigged up so there's just enough illumination to show some colors and interest,..yesterday was the first nite and she loved the look ,...I've got it coming on just a little before the main light go out and and running for a couple of hours after that.
Ok,.my breaks over for now ,..back to the build.

Can't wait to see the finished cabinet!

As for the moonlights that's one thing I really love about the AI lights I run on my DT. I have them on all night long (only 1% of one of the blues) from 12am to 5am & live being able too see stuff anytime day or night

I love my moon lights for the same reasons you mentioned. I have about $50 in them.

A year or two back I bought a 48" true lumen led strip lighting fixture to compliment my existing led fixtures that I already had going ,,.i liked the the look so much that I bought another 48 incher ,.they are rather Pricey but they really crank out some xtra light .
So in keeping with my true lumen tradition I opted to go with two of their little 10 deep blue strips,..here again they are expensive but by using their dimmer switch you can throttle it up or Down to fine tune the look you want.
I guess there's a million ways to skin a cat but this is just the road I chose for myself.
I got a remarkably amount of stuff done today on the cabinet but my girl friend s threatening to bring some broken wooden toys over for me to Fix while I'm off on vacation.
:-/
P.s. I forgot to mention that I've been eye balling this echinophyllia chalice on one of the online web sites for the last week or two ,...today they had the chalice at about 35% off its regular price so I figured I better snag it while the getting was good,....these chalices seem to thrive in my system for reasons that only they know. ,.. So that's kinda exciting for me to be getting another addition to my little world :)

Last edited:
I went a little bananas extending my tank's cabinet this week.., i decided to add a louvered look to the top of the aquarium stand and extend that all the way up to the ceiling ( that was a heck if alot harder than it looked ) ... I also enclosed the cabinet via a door on the side of the cabinet by the main door where i keep my pwc water... Also continued via a small but long cabinet over the door and across the window for added storage... I also decided to add the " slats " Tio the main window wall just to keep things looking uniform.... Its hard to get any good pics cuz the room is rather small and you gotta back yourself up in a corner to try and take one.
So enclosed us a couple of work in progress shots and of my two new corals ...

Attachments

• image-2109770937.jpg
    image-2109770937.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-291000091.jpg
    image-291000091.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-817209668.jpg
    image-817209668.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image-1288311053.jpg
    image-1288311053.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image-2812912256.jpg
    image-2812912256.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2860027502.jpg
    image-2860027502.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-491562988.jpg
    image-491562988.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3923772216.jpg
    image-3923772216.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3310709862.jpg
    image-3310709862.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1643418936.jpg
    image-1643418936.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 147
Thanks hank, Keith and greg.., its a work in progress for sure.. But slowly moving down the right path...the red mushroom colony are the first ones ive tried in my tank so itll be interesting to see how they go.., ( my girl friend took the mushroom picture. , and was proud of her work ) .. The picture of the chalice next to the little ricordea mushroom clump is the chalice i had purchased from an online dealer 4-6 months ago that came so battered up it was hard to tell what it was or if it was actually going to make it or not.., well, im proud to say that it actually turned out to be another one of the " Martian chalices " that i like so much., it seems to be thriving and growing beautifully !! Today is the last day of my vacation ., and if nothing else its been interesting to say the least.., its back to work at 3:30 am wednesdsy morning ., ive pretty much exhausted all my hawaiian spending money on lumber and other building supplies etc so its prob time to head back to the salt mines to regroup .make some cash and try to plan another trip out there next year .

Last edited:
Thanks hank, Keith and greg.., its a work in progress for sure.. But slowly moving down the right path...the red mushroom colony are the first ones ive tried in my tank so itll be interesting to see how they go.., ( my girl friend took the mushroom picture. , and was proud of her work ) .. The picture of the chalice next to the little ricordea mushroom clump is the chalice i had purchased from an online dealer 4-6 months ago that came so battered up it was hard to tell what it was or if it was actually going to make it or not.., well, im proud to say that it actually turned out to be another one of the " Martian chalices " that i like so much., it seems to be thriving and growing beautifully !! Today is the last day of my vacation ., and if nothing else its been interesting to say the least.., its back to work at 3:30 am wednesdsy morning ., ive pretty much exhausted all my hawaiian spending money on lumber and other building supplies etc so its prob time to head back to the salt mines to regroup .make some cash and try to plan another trip out there next year .

Those red mushrooms grow like mad. Wish I had a chalice that pretty!

I put out the " gone fishing" sign yesterday and our group the " bow boys" took out one our boats and went across the mexican border and had some intense surface iron yellowtail fishing for the bigger units.... Most of our fish went between 25-30+ lbs....here's a picture of myself and steve our skipper/ boat owner doing the honors with the gaff. I ordered yet another " martian" chalice the other day and she's on the truck for delivery this morning.., other than that its back to working on the never ending aquarium cabinet this morning

Attachments

• image-4094962880.jpg
    image-4094962880.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing pics of your be chalice. Been meaning to post a recent pic of mine as it has partially changed color. The iPhone camera doesn't show the color well but the back half is a brownish red now

Attachments

• image-716467138.jpg
    image-716467138.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 110
Looking forward to seeing pics of your be chalice. Been meaning to post a recent pic of mine as it has partially changed color. The iPhone camera doesn't show the color well but the back half is a brownish red now
Wow!!! She's a beauty....here's a picture of the brand new one i just got

Attachments

• image-3346765749.jpg
    image-3346765749.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom