Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As anyone who actually follows this thread knows I've been trying to battle the ever slowly growing algae outbreak which over the years has covered my rocks ,back glass etc in a fuzzy coat of algae,.... The major problem here is that I cannot use any kind of CUC in my tank because of my triggerfish,.. I'm sure if I had a handful of snails that would go about their business without being eaten ,everything would be fine but that just isn't the case here.
A coupe of months ago I got an emailer flyer from one of the distributors we all use talking about a product called algae fix marine,.... Being rather skeptical about the hype and knowing full well that I'm going into unchartered waters here I decided to buy a bottle ,.. Well,.it sat on the shelf for a couple of months then one day I decided that I'd cautiously give it a try,..that was a couple of weeks ago,...
Wow,...so far so good,...none of the corals, lps,sps,mushrooms etc seem affected at all nor does the hard algae or the chaeto in the sump .. One cool thing is that it never caused the skimmer to go crazy ether.
I'm not trying to suggest that it's a miracle cure here,..there's a lot of tanks out their that poor maintenance,high nutrients poor lighting etc is running rapid and maybe it's effectiveness may be limited there BUT in MY specific application it's worked very well in knocking down the majority of my nuisance algae.
Maybe sometimes we need a little help from a doctor or plumber to help out a little,.... Got my fingers crossed,..I'll report back if anything comes up,good or bad.

Hey Dary, first i'd like to say ive been following this thread for a while now and love your tank.

Secondly I too have been using AlgaeFix Marine, for about a month now. I started using after scrapping a build up of brown hair like algae off my back glass. I tried siphoning all the algae up while i scraped but 2 weeks later my live rock got engulfed. The product helped get the algae under control. I have had no ill effects. Also here is a link to a large thread about the product if you are interested. Good luck!

AlgaeFix Marine to control Hair Algae - Reef Central Online Community

Hey Dary, first i'd like to say ive been following this thread for a while now and love your tank.

Secondly I too have been using AlgaeFix Marine, for about a month now. I started using after scrapping a build up of brown hair like algae off my back glass. I tried siphoning all the algae up while i scraped but 2 weeks later my live rock got engulfed. The product helped get the algae under control. I have had no ill effects. Also here is a link to a large thread about the product if you are interested. Good luck!

AlgaeFix Marine to control Hair Algae - Reef Central Online Community

Hey,..glad to hear that I'm not alone here in trying this out ... Happy to hear that it worked for you too and more amazing that someone actually follows this thread!!! Thank you for the compliments :)

Today ( actually yesterday ) was the day to do my pwc ,..only real difference was that for the last few days I've been battling the flu so just getting outa bed was a challenge all in itself let alone wrestling with whole water change ,.... Wow,...bend over too fast ,rush to the head ,..get up too fast,rush to the head,..try and clean something,rush to the head,...you get the idea :-/ Somehow ,I managed to get thru it alive ,...I hope the humuhumu / corals appreciate the effort !
Now, it's back on the couch ,tv on ,Theraflu standing by ,...wishing I felt good enough to have a IPA !

Get to feeling better soon. My wife is a school teacher, so she brings home every virus available! Got sick from the flu shot last year, so don't know what I will do. Nice thing is the tank can go a few days without anything needed.

Today ( actually yesterday ) was the day to do my pwc ,..only real difference was that for the last few days I've been battling the flu so just getting outa bed was a challenge all in itself let alone wrestling with whole water change ,.... Wow,...bend over too fast ,rush to the head ,..get up too fast,rush to the head,..try and clean something,rush to the head,...you get the idea :-/ Somehow ,I managed to get thru it alive ,...I hope the humuhumu / corals appreciate the effort ! Now, it's back on the couch ,tv on ,Theraflu standing by ,...wishing I felt good enough to have a IPA !

Hope you make a speedy recovery. You know in Ireland when you're not feeling well you drink Guiness!

Thank you guys,..feeling better this am,( so far ) ..my gf Laura dropped off some homemade chicken soup last nite which I thought was so sweet.,... being stranded on the couch for the last few days gave me some time to catch up on a few threads that I've been following.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard from or know why Jodi " jlsardina" disappeared from the forum,...I always enjoyed her input ,comments,...it looks like her last activity was jan. 4 th,
Hopefully,I'll be able to return to work tomorrow ,..this being sick is just not for me .

I decided that it might be time time to upgrade my rodi system to something larger and meaner ., my old brs unit ( a 75 gpd converted to a 150 gpd ) is due for servicing including all filters , tds meter and membranes ( .,i. Have a buddy interested in buying it from me if the price is right.) , i figured id oft for the 300 gal per day overkill unit as its replacement in high hopes that filter changes etc will be reduced and the optional drinking water option as a down the line idea.
I have retro fit one of my cabinets's doors via a sliding drawer slide which will slide the whole assembly out when ever needed for filter changes etc ... Hopefully all the measurements are correct and with fingers crossed i await the arrival of the new unit on thursday .
Ive included a few as we go pictures so you can kinda see where its heading ... As stated its a work in progress

Attachments

• image-3961749008.jpg
    image-3961749008.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image-4081516930.jpg
    image-4081516930.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2352453002.jpg
    image-2352453002.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-4180719143.jpg
    image-4180719143.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-623417528.jpg
    image-623417528.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2623816964.jpg
    image-2623816964.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Looks good, I would hope that at 300gpd that unit has a built in booster pump, that's the only thing I would change about my 100gpd model because the local water pressure is not that great, also if you go the drinking water route the biggest pressure tank you can fit/afford is your best option. The small 2 1/2 gallon bladder tank that came with mine was pretty sad but eventually it was replaced with a 55 gallon tank found cheap on Craig's list, anyway hope you enjoy the upgrade, and if you ever get a chance to do it please put up some more tank pics. I always enjoy pics of larger

Looks good, I would hope that at 300gpd that unit has a built in booster pump, that's the only thing I would change about my 100gpd model because the local water pressure is not that great, also if you go the drinking water route the biggest pressure tank you can fit/afford is your best option. The small 2 1/2 gallon bladder tank that came with mine was pretty sad but eventually it was replaced with a 55 gallon tank found cheap on Craig's list, anyway hope you enjoy the upgrade, and if you ever get a chance to do it please put up some more tank pics. I always enjoy pics of larger

I need to find one of those 55 gallon pressure tanks! That's my limitation, the little bladder tank is ineffective.

I too would like to run a whole house RODI. The water here stinks!
I think I can pull it off with a 75gpd unit though.....It's just me and the "lady friend", who is part time at the moment. I wonder how large of a container I would need to buffer so that when over 75 gpd is used, I won't run out. I know...all I really have to do is look at the meter and figure it out, but anyone care to guestimate?

Nice upgrade Dary. I got a 300 gpd for my store and finally connected it last week & low and behold there is so much co2 in the line it has only made about 30 gal and yet the DI resin is about 30% used. I may have to do the water storage trick.

Also, think you may have the same condition as me....... Always finding a new project to do lol.

I need to find one of those 55 gallon pressure tanks! That's my limitation, the little bladder tank is ineffective.
keep your eyes on Craig's list, there were some 80 gallon tanks that popped up here and there for @ $100 but too far of a drive, just make sure if you find a used one that you rinse out the inside extremely well as they may have sediment buildup from use in a well system

I too would like to run a whole house RODI. The water here stinks! I think I can pull it off with a 75gpd unit though.....It's just me and the "lady friend", who is part time at the moment. I wonder how large of a container I would need to buffer so that when over 75 gpd is used, I won't run out. I know...all I really have to do is look at the meter and figure it out, but anyone care to guestimate?
In my vast experience, take your usual water usage and multiply by 5 if the girl friend moves in. Also adjust toilet paper usage accordingly. Minus showers and dish washing, your usage is probably surprisingly low.

One other thing, girl friends are like anemones. If the conditions aren't right, they will move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom