Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it will do the job all by itself. Chaeto absorbs the same amount of nitrate and phosphate as any algae but the ATS is far more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Could it also replace a skimmer? I just ordered the AS-1

Could it also replace a skimmer? I just ordered the AS-1

No,... Skimmers take out the micro suspended pollutants out of the water column like uneaten food,poop etc,..micro algae grow by using the unwanted nutrients found in the water which is harmful for the health of the tank so basically the more the algae grows the more nutrients they absorb

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mad hammer not liking hairy lavender mushroom colony .... :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447290025.574343.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447290046.574832.jpg

No,... Skimmers take out the micro suspended pollutants out of the water column like uneaten food,poop etc,..micro algae grow by using the unwanted nutrients found in the water which is harmful for the health of the tank so basically the more the algae grows the more nutrients they absorb

Got it. Thanks. Looking forward to getting it.

So I decided in keeping with the theme of things to add a few port holes to my cabinet to be able to ck on equipment at a glance without having to open up doors etc ... I bought a clock at Walmart today and removed the innards and painted its housing ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447546197.165994.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447546222.709527.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447546244.121129.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447546258.312794.jpgto match the cabinet etc ... He's some action pictures of the build ... As usual , scruffy was a big help :)

So I decided in keeping with the theme of things to add a few port holes to my cabinet to be able to ck on equipment at a glance without having to open up doors etc ... I bought a clock at Walmart today and removed the innards and painted its housing View attachment 280668View attachment 280669View attachment 280670View attachment 280671to match the cabinet etc ... He's some action pictures of the build ... As usual , scruffy was a big help :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447547396.968303.jpg

I've been diddling with the " port holes " some more this am and added the last three,... It's kind of nice to be watching tv or walking by and at a glance, you can see what's going on behind the scenes.
I've been using the wooden clock housings from Walmart , they run about $8-$10 per clock ,... They make a cool port hole with a little fabrication and judicial use of some power tools and glue,... I now have 4 clocks that need new homes,... I'll bring a couple down to the shop and maybe another one out in the garage or somewhere else.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447708147.011591.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447708161.943855.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447708210.249227.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447708226.046393.jpg

Its like looking through the looking glass to see into the future. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol,... Yeah ,but it's a catch 22 thing too ,... You get to see some things that you may wish you hadn't ,... I got notice that my tuff scrubber was sent out toddy , that's going to be an interesting little addition to the aquarium, fingers crossed that it'll work as advertised

Very nice and well thought out!

I really liked the whole port hole idea but the pics of your set up make it even better!!(y)

Late but this definitely helped my understanding of how they work and their role.

Caleb

In my experience the algae scrubber absorbs about 16 parts nitrates to 1 part phosphate when building algae cells. This means it can deplete the nitrates and some phosphates can be left behind. I think that's the basic biochemistry if I remember right. I find I need to run GFO along with the ATS to grab that little bit of left over phosphate. But in my case almost all nuisance algae disappeared from the display permanently.

A very effective, easy to maintain, very stable long term filtration system combining those three elements. Skimmer, ATS, GFO.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments,... It looks like my scrubber will be here sometime Friday ,.i've picked up some more plumbing pieces in lieu of its arrival,....I'm going to pvc pipe about 90 % of the plumbing going to my reactors with a few unions in between so that changing out media or taking out the reactors or pump etc for maintenance won't be such a pain in the butt . I have a little pump standing by for the ats but may take a strong look at plumbing it in with the reactors and using their feed pump ( mag ) ,... I'll know a lot more after she arrives and I sit down and check things out ,.. Oops just realized that I will Need another timer , ... Never seems to end does it ? ,... But ,As my girl friend Laura says " yeah,but you love every minute of it ! "

Lol,... Yeah ,but it's a catch 22 thing too ,... You get to see some things that you may wish you hadn't ,... I got notice that my tuff scrubber was sent out toddy , that's going to be an interesting little addition to the aquarium, fingers crossed that it'll work as advertised

Lol. I didn't think of that catch 22. Still fun to be able to check things out though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A couple of things, having its own pump is a good idea as you can vary the flow to suit you. It's a gravity flow thru design, so it needs to be placed high enough to drain into your sump. It generates a little heat, but not much. You want some room over it to be able to lift the growing sheet out (it goes straight up) to clean it. You also need a long brush to wash the inside acrylic of the ATS occasionally to maximize light.

Back
Top Bottom