Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes pods are part of it, but growing algae that can be re-fed to the fish is a great way to tie up nitrogen, or throw the excess algae away as that removes the nutrients from the system permanently.

Actually, very few fish eat Chaetomorpha. It's commonly used because it will not go sexual and expel the nutrients it absorbed. I only trim it when I am completely out of room. Caulerpa does have the ability to release a large amount of nutrients in the tank, and should be pruned regularly, but fish love it. Especially the Bubble Caulerpa.

needmorecowbell said:
oh gotcha. do all fish eat those algaes?

also, dary, how are the other corals doing? how about the bubble coral?

Everything else "seems" to be ok... Bubbles are hanging in there.... Its not a complete " three mile island " melt down but just not up to what i had before....hopefully ill get my priorities in order and Get things back to " normal" again..... Thanks for checking up on me :)

mr_X said:
Actually, very few fish eat Chaetomorpha. It's commonly used because it will not go sexual and expel the nutrients it absorbed. I only trim it when I am completely out of room. Caulerpa does have the ability to release a large amount of nutrients in the tank, and should be pruned regularly, but fish love it. Especially the Bubble Caulerpa.

That has been what I see as well. But I grow a lot more green and red turf algae that the tangs love to eat. I land fill the Chaeto as you don't want to just flush it down the drain for environmental reasons. I guess Caulerpa is more famous as an invasive species though.

Last edited:
turf algae from your scrubber? im looking in to making one now that im getting a sump. the chaeto is definitely helpful in my tank, i havent pruned it yet but couldnt i just bury it in the ground? that would probably kill it.. ill probably get caulerpa in the future but im not sure if my fish will eat it. i dont think blennies eat it.

What do you all put the cheato in to keep it from getting all over? I had some in my refugium and it would wash into the return pump area and then pieces would always get into the main tank.

IMO, it wasn't doing well then. This stuff stays in tight balls. I don't ever see pieces falling off unless it doesn't like something about your tank.

I believe your opinion because it all eventually died off, I'm not sure what is going on in my refugium, I have tried many different plants with no luck. My parameters were normal at the time and I was running a reverse light schedule, which I have now changed to 24/7 lights, but still no luck with plants I have a coralife light with 2 t5 bulbs both 6w one actinic and 1 10000k and what I would call moderate flow everything else is and has been doing great just no plants, and nitrates have been a little high (5 ppm) any ideas?
I would like to try more cheato, not sure what I'm doing wrong, sorry Dary for asking on your thread.

One of the tanks I maintain is a 150 gallon reef with a 55 gallon sump with refugium (in case you didn't know). Algae used to grow like crazy in that fuge, until there was a power outage that wiped out most of the fish and inverts. The tank re-cycled and new livestock was added, but to this day, all I can get to grow in that tank is razor caulerpa- I have no idea why.
I've also migrated from a single curly-Q energy saver bulb to a 175 watt halide over the sump. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but chaeto and other algae grew fine under the energy saver bulb before the outage.

mr_X said:
One of the tanks I maintain is a 150 gallon reef with a 55 gallon sump with refugium (in case you didn't know). Algae used to grow like crazy in that fuge, until there was a power outage that wiped out most of the fish and inverts. The tank re-cycled and new livestock was added, but to this day, all I can get to grow in that tank is razor caulerpa- I have no idea why.
I've also migrated from a single curly-Q energy saver bulb to a 175 watt halide over the sump. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but chaeto and other algae grew fine under the energy saver bulb before the outage.

Ive heard you talk about that before... Thats so weird.,.. It just goes to show you that there's so much more to this hobby than we'll ever understand.
I guess once that delicate balance is broken .,trying to get things re- established is a lot trickier than it seems

I use a plant spectrum LED mixed with whites and blues to promote algae and deliver the maximum PAR to the growing sheets. The warmer spectrum light you were using was helping promote the plant growth.

And yes, burying the excess algae is fine, just don't flush certain kinds.

Hey ryan., i hope everything's well with you..., i had a couple of little set backs recently with being sick and with the tank but i think things are on the right track now.
I brought my dog scruffy down to the pet hospital on monday to have a tooth extracted BUT once he was under they removed seven teeth... Wow !!! Poor little guy., here it is a couple of days later and he's out chasing lizards and having a good ol' time... Pretty amazing little guy., wish i was so resilient :)

Attachments

• image-2843820638.jpg
    image-2843820638.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 61
I know what you mean I get one tooth pulled and act like a baby for the day lol everything is great here glad to hear your doing well looking forward to updated pictures

Back
Top Bottom