Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okie dokie.., a little update regarding some water parameters and losing a few corals..... Now keep in mind that most of these corals that I've had in my tank have been growing very very well for months with no signs of anything going bad,..., then a few weeks ago I started to lose one of my hammer corals and then another,..a couple if my encrusting monti's which had bee growing unbelievably well stared to die off,.... My water parameters as of this morning are

Salinity- 1.026
Temp-79.4
Alk-10.1
Ca-400
Mg-1280
Phos-0.16
Nitrates -1.5

But ,..I did notice this morning that my bulk reef 5 stage r.i.d.o. Filter was registering a tds reading of 116 going in and 15 coming out,.... Would or could this be the cause of the corals dying? .. I did order a replacement set of filters this morning,.... All my other corals etc seem to be doing well.... Any thoughts or ideas etc would be appreciated,...thanks Dary

Ps..135 gal and i do an aprox 25 gal weekly pwc

Last edited:
The higher TDS reading just shows that you need to replace probably the resin in the filter...but that value shouldn't harm corals. The nutrient levels seem a bit high...phosphate should be undetectable. Would double down on the water exchanges until values comeback into line. All tanks ebb and flow. It doesn't take much reduction in attention before it shows. That's why keeping a reef up for years is a challenge.

yep, as greg said, your phos is a little high. Phosphate test kits cant measure low enough for what is ideal, so a reading on it is a problem. do you use gfo? if you dont have it and dont want to buy a reactor for it (although 2 little fishies sells it for 30$), you could use chemipure elite which has some in it.

Gregcoyote said:
The higher TDS reading just shows that you need to replace probably the resin in the filter...but that value shouldn't harm corals. The nutrient levels seem a bit high...phosphate should be undetectable. Would double down on the water exchanges until values comeback into line. All tanks ebb and flow. It doesn't take much reduction in attention before it shows. That's why keeping a reef up for years is a challenge.

Thanks Greg

needmorecowbell said:
yep, as greg said, your phos is a little high. Phosphate test kits cant measure low enough for what is ideal, so a reading on it is a problem. do you use gfo? if you dont have it and dont want to buy a reactor for it (although 2 little fishies sells it for 30$), you could use chemipure elite which has some in it.

I'm using the red sea reef foundation test kits and yes I'm using gfo and chemipure elite... Maybe just not enough

needmorecowbell said:
i also like my purigen, that might help. maybe its time to replace the gfo or something.

I took carey's and your advice and ended up ordering some of bulk reef supplies high performance gfo / their better carbon and a dual reactor to replace the one im running now... I will also dbl up on the pwc's per greg..... Dary may have lost a battle here but Dary will eventually win the war !!!

Dary421 said:
I took carey's and your advice and ended up ordering some of bulk reef supplies high performance gfo / their better carbon and a dual reactor to replace the one im running now... I will also dbl up on the pwc's per greg..... Dary may have lost a battle here but Dary will eventually win the war !!!

It will all spring back in all likelihood.

Loving the attitude Dary! It'll work out for you.

AquaRick said:
Loving the attitude Dary! It'll work out for you.

Thanks Rick ,... What the heck,... I once had this t shirt which read " in order to be old and wise you first must be young and stupid"... That 's always kinda been my motto,..ya kinda learn from screwing things up before you figure out the right way to do things,........if I may toot bulk reef's supplies horn here a little,..I just received a call from them saying that the " pickers" noticed that there was two separate entries regarding my hd gfo that I ordered and before they sealed up the box for delivery they wanted to check with me to find out if I screwed up ( I did ) or it was actually ordered that way,.... Pretty nice of them to make a courtesy call to double check on things.,...it was a $99 error on my part.... Thank you bulk reef supply !

Thanks Rick ,... What the heck,... I once had this t shirt which read " in order to be old and wise you first must be young and stupid".

Love this. Need to find this shirt for my father in-law. He'd get a hoot.

Glad BRS worked out for you. Their customer service is pretty awesome.

Thanks Rick ,... What the heck,... I once had this t shirt which read " in order to be old and wise you first must be young and stupid"... That 's always kinda been my motto,..ya kinda learn from screwing things up before you figure out the right way to do things,........if I may toot bulk reef's supplies horn here a little,..I just received a call from them saying that the " pickers" noticed that there was two separate entries regarding my hd gfo that I ordered and before they sealed up the box for delivery they wanted to check with me to find out if I screwed up ( I did ) or it was actually ordered that way,.... Pretty nice of them to make a courtesy call to double check on things.,...it was a $99 error on my part.... Thank you bulk reef supply !

OK, so at 52 I should be getting close to the "Old and Wise" part shouldn't I????

rdnelson99 said:
OK, so at 52 I should be getting close to the "Old and Wise" part shouldn't I????

Yes,,,my son ,you are there!! ..... I turn 60 next month and apparently I'm still doing stupid things ,.maybe it just never ends?
.... By the way.,,, I found the old t- shirt this afternoon,,I knew I kept it somewhere,... Prob 15 + years old.

Back
Top Bottom