Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are touchy. And mine liked to flood as well. Had the collection cup plumbed to a water jug for the runoff, but it would sometime run amok and overfill the jug. Made a nice mess. Any skimmer that uses a restriction valve on the outflow to adjust the foam height seems to have this problem. The ones that have a overflow riser that has adjustable height seems to work much better. This new one has a riser.

Sooooo,....the aquatic world wants to know if your hydor 2005 is now a permanent member of your tank.... ?

Last edited:
Bought it from a guy in St. Louis about 90 minutes away. Going to get it Saturday. Have you used one of these?

Never have used one..... Aren't these made in England / Europe or used alot there.,or am i confusing it with another brand ?

Last edited:
They are made in the UK. Mixed reviews on the web, but that is standard for anything you look up. I like recirculating skimmers and needed one in line as I don't operate a "standard" sump. They cost almost $700, so I think my $250 for one that is 6 months old was a okay deal. It uses the same needle pumps the red sea unit used. On my red sea unit the needle pump would stall every now and again, so I hope that isn't indicative of the pump brand. My red sea was fine and will live out its day on the frag tanks sump, but I wanted something more efficient and less likely to leak (the red sea unit sits in a drip pan). See what you started! It is all your fault, at least that is my story to the wife. Here I am rattling off how you don't need to upgrade and what do I do?

Last edited:
They are made in the UK. Mixed reviews on the web, but that is standard for anything you look up. I like recirculating skimmers and needed one in line as I don't operate a "standard" sump. They cost almost $700, so I think my $250 for one that is 6 months old was a okay deal. It uses the same needle pumps the red sea unit used. On my red sea unit the needle pump would stall every now and again, so I hope that isn't indicative of the pump brand. My red sea was fine and will live out its day on the frag tanks sump, but I wanted something more efficient and less likely to leak (the red sea unit sits in a drip pan). See what you started! It is all your fault, at least that is my story to the wife. Here I am rattling off how you don't need to upgrade and what do I do?

Great,..now mrs.greg is mad at me, the " baby face boy " because you bought another skimmer :-/. It's ok Greg I'm used to it !!! I think for the price you paid you did wonderful,...I'm sure it'll work about a million percent better than the other one.....if not I'm sure it'll be an easy sell,..., I just returned from the tax lady and I've got a little money coming back my way,.enough to pay the balance on my Hawaiian condo for sept and enough to REALLY think about piss'n off mrs.greg when I get another skimmer too (?)
Could you refresh me as to the difference in your standard skimmer vs recirculating skimmers,

There are a couple of differences, on the plus side a recirculating skimmer can usually be used in line as they are water level independent. Other skimmers that sit in the sump have to have a specific water level in the sump to work. Recirculators don't. There is also more dwell time for the bubbles to attract proteins. The bubbles are in contact with the water longer. Down side is they use more pumps, feed pump and in my case two needle pumps to make the bubbles. Some needle pumps are noisy, but these aren't. Plus in my fish room I don't care.

The wife is pretty tolerant. She has her own hobby that makes my fish look tame.

All this skimmer talk has me considering this one:

http://www.myreefcreations.com/product-lines/protein-skimmers/reeflo-orca-pro/reeflo-orca-pro-I.html

Trying to talk myself out of it lol. Spent two hours last night reading about it and called them today. Hopefully common sense grabs me.

I have never used one of these, but it looks pretty nice. Ease of cleaning and a good needle pump are my considerations. They all make foam. It's how welll they concentrate the skimmate is what you are after. Not sure it looks up to the task of a loaded 500 gallon aquarium, but something smaller should work. If it says up to 500 gallons I usually cut that in half and consider it good for 250-300 gallons.

I didn't see the price tag. It only has one needle pump (as far as the picture showed) so I don't know why it should be so high. The pumps alone are about $100 each. There are a lot of good skimmers on the market. I would ask some more forum members. If you have room, just buy one that is rated a little larger than what you think you need.

Yeah the price is what stopped me last night lol. Im looking for an external skimmer (not too concerned about footprint) that requires infrequent adjusting and skimms like a beast. I also want it to be usable if I upgrade size. Hence such a large one on only a 125 DT that is pretty stocked.

Its a nice looker.... Just pricey... But if it makes you happy and your better half doesn't kill you then go for it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom