Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The DT is only 125 & even tho I have no immediate upgrade plans I at some time will. Would like to go 300 gal or so if I can ever fit it.

As for the JNS 7 I could probably do with the JNS 5 but that appeared to be an in sump model, but I could be wrong. I'm looking for an external or external/internal skimmer.

The DT is only 125 & even tho I have no immediate upgrade plans I at some time will. Would like to go 300 gal or so if I can ever fit it.

As for the JNS 7 I could probably do with the JNS 5 but that appeared to be an in sump model, but I could be wrong. I'm looking for an external or external/internal skimmer.

Arent those skimmers rated for 1000 + gal tanks?? Mr x's JNS 7 looks like a beast but would something like that be totally overkill on a 125?

Yes it's overkill. That's why I was looking at the reefpro orca 1. It's rated 100-500 gal. I want at least double rated my current tank (125 + sump+other auxiliary reactor chambers (5)) and want it for future upgrade to larger and/or addition of plumbed off DT frag tank. That puts it at min 250 gal and high end of 600-700 rating.

Yes, it's an internal skimmer...I'm "skimming" too, so I missed the external factor. I just figured, why not go huge if you are gonna spend the money.....but this won't work here. Carry on peeps. ;)

With skimmers, bigger seems to be better.

Yeah,...but there's a point of no return too,....I wish i had a system large enough where I could run Doug's JNS SK-7 (1000-1500 gal) and at a grand its prob a really good buy but running a 135 gal DT and a 45 gal sump isnt going to cut it,....Keith's skimmer seems cool but carries a tremendous price tag ,.... I'm still looking but getting closer!!

I would buy that skimmer if I could afford it. 450 gallons total volume.....it's not unheard of to have a skimmer rated for 3 times your total volume.

I would buy that skimmer if I could afford it. 450 gallons total volume.....it's not unheard of to have a skimmer rated for 3 times your total volume.[/

In your setup ( cost permitting of course ) id jump on that JNS SK 7 in a second,..... Especially seeing how you have the maintenance room behind your tank to house it.

....and I have sumps large enough for it too! If I don't get a big skimmer like that, I'm just going to end up lighting those sumps and loading them up with corals :brows:

I lit mine already and am growing softies and LPS. It's why I went external on the skimmer to make more room for corals and chaeto. I have always wanted one of those giant skimmers! This one will have to do.

Last edited:
I lit mine already and am growing softies and LPS. It's why I went external on the skimmer to make more room for corals and chaeto. I have always wanted one of those giant skimmers! This one will have to do.

Gregor.... In your setup,..if I've followed correctly,..your DT is upstairs ,.your tank overflows into the basement where your sump, protein skimmers etc are located ,..then your " filtered" water is pumped back upstairs via you iwaki pumps ?

That's pretty much right. The 280 gallon (estimated) display tank dumps downstairs into the 80 gallon algae scrubber and it's sump. That is plumbed to another 50 gallon sump that the protein skimmers and purigen system work off of. It is also the sump that gets drained during a water exchange. Then that is plumbed to the 100 gallon frag tank and it's 30 gallon sump/soft coral tank. Thats all gravity fed. Then the water is pushed upstairs with one of the bigger Iwaki pumps. There are a total of 6 pumps in the system. 2 are iwaki and the rest are various pumps moving water to skimmers and reactors. There is as much water, or more downstairs than upstairs.

The algae scrubber and skimmers do a fine job exporting the vast majority of the organics and let's me run at .2 to a .15 phosphate levels. The purigen reactor drops them an additional .10, giving me a average of .05. That is pretty optimum for hard corals.

Last edited:
That's pretty much right. The 280 gallon (estimated) display tank dumps downstairs into the 80 gallon algae scrubber and it's sump. That is plumbed to another 50 gallon sump that the protein skimmers and purigen system work off of. It is also the sump that gets drained during a water exchange. Then that is plumbed to the 100 gallon frag tank and it's 30 gallon sump/soft coral tank. Thats all gravity fed. Then the water is pushed upstairs with one of the bigger Iwaki pumps. There are a total of 6 pumps in the system. 2 are iwaki and the rest are various pumps moving water to skimmers and reactors. There is as much water, or more downstairs than upstairs.

The algae scrubber and skimmers do a fine job exporting the vast majority of the organics and let's me run at .2 to a .15 phosphate levels. The purigen reactor drops them an additional .10, giving me a average of .05. That is pretty optimum for hard corals.

Wow,..that's a wild setup,...it sounds like you could use one of Doug's jns sk7 skimmers,...I sure wish I had a separate maintenance room like both you guys have,...it seems like that would make life a lot easier to deal with.,...but I guess I just gotta go with what I got,...I've got my skimmer narrowed down to a couple of different models,..one I'll be able to fit into the sump ( barely ) and the other one will have to be placed slightly outside and above the sump, I'm waiting to hear back from one of the manufacturers to find out about certain pumps before I make my final decision .
This is kind of exciting for me because I'll get to re-plumb some stuff and maybe give me a chance to clean out my sump of all the accumulated gunk that builds up during time.

Last edited:
Yes it's overkill. That's why I was looking at the reefpro orca 1. It's rated 100-500 gal. I want at least double rated my current tank (125 + sump+other auxiliary reactor chambers (5)) and want it for future upgrade to larger and/or addition of plumbed off DT frag tank. That puts it at min 250 gal and high end of 600-700 rating.

Keith.... , soooo,...have you ordered it yet ?

Wow,..that's a wild setup,...it sounds like you could use one of Doug's jns sk7 skimmers,...I sure wish I had a separate maintenance room like both you guys have,...it seems like that would make life a lot easier to deal with.,...but I guess I just gotta go with what I got,...I've got my skimmer narrowed down to a couple of different models,..one I'll be able to fit into the sump ( barely ) and the other one will have to be placed slightly outside and above the sump, I'm waiting to hear back from one of the manufacturers to find out about certain pumps before I make my final decision .
This is kind of exciting for me because I'll get to re-plumb some stuff and maybe give me a chance to clean out my sump of all the accumulated gunk that builds up during time.

Thanks. Just got my new one running.
If you mount it outside and above the sump, consider sitting it in a big Tupperware container and plumb a piece of tubing back to the sump. That way, if something leaks or overflows, you don't ruin the floor.

Thanks. Just got my new one running.
If you mount it outside and above the sump, consider sitting it in a big Tupperware container and plumb a piece of tubing back to the sump. That way, if something leaks or overflows, you don't ruin the floor.

Thanks for the advice ... I was already thinking of doing that if I went with the outside the sump skimmer,...couple of questions,...#1,...first impressions of your new skimmer and #2 ,..do external pumps need to be mounted horizontally or can they also be mounted vertically or even upside on without affecting them?

No I haven't ordered it yet. Probably gonna decide in a couple weeks. Just had a $3200 vet bill for my dog. Ouch!

Wow.... Ouch is right ( especially for the dog) ...hopefully your buddy is ok !!! Is that the doggie in your new avatar? ..... Hopefully, you'll get your skimmer soon enuff,..tell mrs Keith its ok ,but even if she has to give up buying stuff for herself for awhile you just have to have it,....then duck!!

Back
Top Bottom