Definitely not another tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well after seeing all these micro tanks with shrimp I've become a little jealous. I've only tried ghost shrimp before and they all got eaten lol. I'm looking to upgrade my brothers black moor tank to a 37g kit from PetSmart and I'll claim the 10g. So.. 10g shrimp only tank!

Already have a cycled filter
Have a heater rated for the tank.

Here's where you guys come in:
1. Should I do a sponge filter instead? I've heard of small shrimp like cherrys can get sucked up.

2. I want this tank to be planted. NO CO2.. Period. I don't have time to watch the DIY setup and no buying another pressurized. I have some big bottles of liquid ferts from my big tank since I switched to dry. I have Flourish, Flourish Excel, and API Leaf Zone. Might also be trying Iron. Need some easy/medium plant suggestions! No Anubias, I have enough of it in my other tanks. I'm going to hunt down Amazon for maybe a cheap Finnex. Or would just a decent LED do?

3. Need substrate ideas. Aquasoil? Ecocomplete? I thought maybe mixing Ecocomplete and black sand.

3. I'm clueless on shrimp. I don't wants ghosts or Amano. I'm shooting for some colorful shrimp here that are not super sensitive. I will report soon on LFS stock when I make it over there again.

4. I'm going to hunt down some driftwood and rocks for a hard scape.

5. I heard shrimp like moss balls. How true is this?

6. Any other suggestions you might have are definitely welcome!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

STAR REPENS! Yes that's one plant. I wanted to do it but my dojo would not allow it. Now is my chance. What's a good light to grow these like a Finnex or nice LED that won't break the bank?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I prefer sponge filters for my shrimp. Not only takes away the concern of losing fry but they love to pick at the biofilm on the sponge.

My go-to plants are always vals and dwarf sag :whistle:

In my experience most shrimp look much better against a dark substrate. I have EC in a couple of tanks, black sand in others....the shrimp don't seem to have a preference.

As long as you go with neos you should be fine. I have cherry, red rili, blue pearls, carbon rili, orange sakura...it's really a matter of preference and what's available if you're shopping locally.

Try to get some cholla wood. You might also want to consider IAL. Some folks argue about the benefits but I use it-along with alder cones-in all my shrimp tanks. This is a good article to check out: Benefits of leaf litter in shrimp tanks. – DiscoBee

They like to pick at moss balls, moss, floating plants (which are fun since you'll often seen them upside down or even falling off!).

I prefer sponge filters for my shrimp. Not only takes away the concern of losing fry but they love to pick at the biofilm on the sponge.

My go-to plants are always vals and dwarf sag :whistle:

In my experience most shrimp look much better against a dark substrate. I have EC in a couple of tanks, black sand in others....the shrimp don't seem to have a preference.

As long as you go with neos you should be fine. I have cherry, red rili, blue pearls, carbon rili, orange sakura...it's really a matter of preference and what's available if you're shopping locally.

Try to get some cholla wood. You might also want to consider IAL. Some folks argue about the benefits but I use it-along with alder cones-in all my shrimp tanks. This is a good article to check out: Benefits of leaf litter in shrimp tanks. – DiscoBee

They like to pick at moss balls, moss, floating plants (which are fun since you'll often seen them upside down or even falling off!).

Thanks for the reply Theresa :) good to get advice from someone who keeps a bunch of shrimp.

Will definitely check that out.

Now well do sponge filters hold a cycle?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you prefer DIY things, look into a hamburger mattenfilter. A little easier on the eyes and not such a PITA to hide. Also, are you dead set on LEDs? You could also fab up (easily) a light fixture to hold one (or two) full spectrum (6500k) CFLs rather cheaply. I actually built one for my 10g I just tore down for under $5 not counting the bulb. Granted my plants are basic, they've not had a problem with only a single 53w incandescent bulb. A 23 watt 6500k cfl is equivalent to 100w. Much cheaper than LEDs

If you prefer DIY things, look into a hamburger mattenfilter. A little easier on the eyes and not such a PITA to hide. Also, are you dead set on LEDs? You could also fab up (easily) a light fixture to hold one (or two) full spectrum (6500k) CFLs rather cheaply. I actually built one for my 10g I just tore down for under $5 not counting the bulb. Granted my plants are basic, they've not had a problem with only a single 53w incandescent bulb. A 23 watt 6500k cfl is equivalent to 100w. Much cheaper than LEDs

I can't do any hanging shop lights but I like to try DIY even if it ends badly :p to YouTube!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mine isn't hanging. It sits on the glass hood. Its made out of a bread/loaf pan from the dollar tree haha. Let me get a pic

Mine isn't hanging. It sits on the glass hood. Its made out of a bread/loaf pan from the dollar tree haha. Let me get a pic

I'm going to town anyway so I might give Home Depot or Lowe's a stop :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Here's the link on where I got the idea

http://www.dramaticaquascapes.com/doityourselfcflfixture1.html

I did it a little different. Same bread pan, but I had a cheap clamp style work light laying around. Disassembled the clamp light and remove the metal shroud. Made the hole in the pan and assembled the light in it. Works great. Using the 53w incandescent bulb heated the tank to around 75-78° so I didn't even use a heater on the tank. CFL doesn't produce a lot of heat at all though so I guess that's irrelevant haha

Let us know how you like it if you do build it. I didn't drill holes for heat to escape out of mine, mostly because I didn't want light spilling out behind the tank onto the wall.

It needs to be a little more specific as far as socket sizes and stuff. I'm not an electrician...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Think me and Youtube will have a chat and get the details straightened out. I'm 19... If you asked me to wire your house it would be up in flames.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Go to Walmart, find the hardware/lighting section

Find this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429573472.639254.jpg

Then find the bulb you want to use

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Then go to the Dollar Tree
Find the kitchen items and find this baking/bread/Loaf pan

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429573585.433430.jpg

Everything should come apart/unscrew from the work lamp.
Take it apart so it's just the power cord and socket. No shroud or clamp

Make hole in pan and assemble the light in the hole you made. Really simple, no electrician skills needed.

I suppose you could use it as a heat lamp with the right bulb. It's just a cheap, run of the mill clamp on style work light. Cost $5-6 bucks at Walmart. Mine was discounted to $2.88 because the shroud was beat up

Then go to the Dollar Tree
Find the kitchen items and find this baking/bread/Loaf pan

View attachment 270527

Everything should come apart/unscrew from the work lamp.
Take it apart so it's just the power cord and socket. No shroud or clamp

Make hole in pan and assemble the light in the hole you made. Really simple, no electrician skills needed.

Thanks! You're better than YouTube :) I'm at Walmart as we speak

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom