Definitely not another tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id buy a full spectrum bulb. Something like 6500k/23 watts. Maybe labeled as "daylight equivalent" or something

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you get home, unscrew the screw on the piece clamping the clamp onto the light socket. It'll flop and fall off. Then you should be able to unscrew the light shroud, if you can't, the black bulb socket thing is 2 separate peices screwed together, take them apart and then the shroud should come off if you couldn't get it off the first way. Once you have the hole made in the pan, I slid the side of the socket with the wire from the outside of the pan, inwards and took the top piece of the socket and screwed it on from the inside. Simple as that

Hopefully what I am saying is readable and not coming across as jumbled up babble. Trying to wrestle my two kids and write all this haha

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429574912.103628.jpg

I might try this one. I can't find a 6500k numb at the moment. If needed I'm sure another hardware store has one.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would say that'd work just fine. Looks a little long though so make sure its gonna fit inside the pan with an inch or so of room on the end for the socket

That 300w bulb is incandescent. That's the dinjy yellow colored light you see in common old school house bulbs. CFL is compact fluorescent light. Like the long tube type you seen in standard aquarium hoods. 6500k will give you full spectrum color, and 42 watts is gonna use a lot less power and not make as much heat.

That 300w bulb is incandescent. That's the dinjy yellow colored light you see in common old school house bulbs. CFL is compact fluorescent light. Like the long tube type you seen in standard aquarium hoods. 6500k will give you full spectrum color, and 42 watts is gonna use a lot less power and not make as much heat.

Now we know why I'm not an electrician ???

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The first one you posted would be the one I would buy. Open the package and make sure it's the correct base type to thread into the clamp light before you buy it

Patiently waiting for your finished product

Lol it's not getting done tonight that's for sure. Work tommorow it's bedtime. I don't even have the tank yet because it holds my brothers one goldfish. When I get him the new tank I can proceed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

@ImACoolguy: I lost track of your thread but I can answer some of your initial questions.

I have ecocomplete and am growing "staurogyne" in it. It's a small-medium plant that's bright green, floats when clipped (easy to collect trimmings), and can be propagated. The shrimp I have (Red cherry shrimp, blue velvet shrimp, and the lone amano shrimp) seem to spend a little bit of time in it. I like it, and it's hardy.

I think I've read somewhere that mixing sand and ecocomplete can work, but I've read recommendations to use ecocomplete as the bottom layer and use black sand on top. I really love the black look and have used both black sand and ecocomplete, but I haven't personally mixed them.

Consider getting some driftwood. It looks fantastic. Lot's of compliments on the wood from guests. Mopani wood is really popular, my LFS and Petco carry Mopani. Also consider getting some cholla wood. The shrimp spend a lot of time in the cholla wood and driftwood. I've arranged the cholla wood in a pile and the shrimp hide in there quite a lot.

I'm still new to shrimp keeping though (kept them for about 1 year, still learning), so don't take my word as expert. I'm still trying to adapt to a recent move with limited success :).

I have a HOB with covered prefilter to keep babies from being pulled into the impellor and a double-sponge filter setup. This is for a 20 gallon long tank, and the water doesn't get stagnant this way. I don't know if you will need that for your 10gallon, but sponge filters are inexpensive.

Here's my tank for some ideas:

Attachments

• 20150419_192110.jpg
    20150419_192110.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 60
@ImACoolguy: I lost track of your thread but I can answer some of your initial questions.

I have ecocomplete and am growing "staurogyne" in it. It's a small-medium plant that's bright green, floats when clipped (easy to collect trimmings), and can be propagated. The shrimp I have (Red cherry shrimp, blue velvet shrimp, and the lone amano shrimp) seem to spend a little bit of time in it. I like it, and it's hardy.

I think I've read somewhere that mixing sand and ecocomplete can work, but I've read recommendations to use ecocomplete as the bottom layer and use black sand on top. I really love the black look and have used both black sand and ecocomplete, but I haven't personally mixed them.

Consider getting some driftwood. It looks fantastic. Lot's of compliments on the wood from guests. Mopani wood is really popular, my LFS and Petco carry Mopani. Also consider getting some cholla wood. The shrimp spend a lot of time in the cholla wood and driftwood. I've arranged the cholla wood in a pile and the shrimp hide in there quite a lot.

I'm still new to shrimp keeping though (kept them for about 1 year, still learning), so don't take my word as expert. I'm still trying to adapt to a recent move with limited success :).

I have a HOB with covered prefilter to keep babies from being pulled into the impellor and a double-sponge filter setup. This is for a 20 gallon long tank, and the water doesn't get stagnant this way. I don't know if you will need that for your 10gallon, but sponge filters are inexpensive.

Here's my tank for some ideas:

Nice tank! And thanks for the input. I think I want to go with the black Ecocomplete and black sand on top. eBay is great for things like cholla wood

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've had saltwater packed away in my mind for a long time but cost and fright barred me from doing it. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith! Who knows, I probably will still use the DIY light for it :p

Thanks for the help guys.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom