Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking a bit cleaner. Just about all the clippings in the garden.

Hoping the cut leaves will look ok and not brown off or anything.

7f3c5fce7d0118e01e90d778491472c4.jpg

Much easier at feeding time :)

ab114a5f913eaf43e9de642987cbb45d.jpg

c6958c26bc95be03edd06405d65425df.jpg

Interesting...I did not know you could cut back Java ferns like that. Then again, they've always grown so slowly for me that the thought of trimming them never entered my mind.

Interesting...I did not know you could cut back Java ferns like that. Then again, they've always grown so slowly for me that the thought of trimming them never entered my mind.

Neither did they lol. Bit of an experiment but they were just over-running the tank and it was easier to just hack them with the scissors rather than trying to prune leaves. I'm a little worried if it does go wrong, I'll be waiting a bit for it all to grow back out.

Looks nice! I might trim mine now. You've inspired me.

Next time - fancy animal shapes :) Will report back how it goes. I'm hoping cut leaves will stay green and new growth will eventually come though.

I tried this with val and found cut leaves tended to get brown edges and not do so well. Better to prune leaf at base. But the java fern I'm hoping will be tougher. Fingers crossed! Was heaps quicker.

Java fern is still looking nice on the cut edges. Pretty happy so far. And enough pieces missed getting cut that it still looks somewhat natural.

Quick water change today so I can clean up the stem plants. With a week off, I thought about shifting the bolbitis to poke out of the central plane ornament. Eventually decided that would take up too much room so it survives up the back another day (plus seems happy where it is).

Also checking one of the heaters still works as couldn't see led light coming on.

7a33cce1e75fe96039320b1969deb39d.jpg

And a third flower has found a gap by growing along the outlet pipes, ducking under the inlet pipe and up the 1cm gap. Hid all videos of 'day of the triffids' just in case. Will see how they handle the water change - that's their kryptonite.

That is incredible, all those flowers!!! And even with no root tabs. Did you decide to order or by more gel caps and make your own?

My new Aponogeton capuronii baby is growing fast, even a couple of patches of white new roots, it is amazing foliage perhaps its energy from stores from the bulb itself. I have an extra light on it, I alternate days/times with the other tank and the Anubias Pinto if it does not get enough light it just stays green without the white spots, lol.

Cracked it and pulled the bolbitis out so I can prune it. Thing is a foot across at base.

Plenty of gravel still attached so should be able to just put it back in I hope onto gravel. Going to get some wood for it though so I can prune it more easily, things a weed.

ed6efde9407aaad4abe746a1e3579ab1.jpg

That is incredible, all those flowers!!! And even with no root tabs. Did you decide to order or by more gel caps and make your own?

My new Aponogeton capuronii baby is growing fast, even a couple of patches of white new roots, it is amazing foliage perhaps its energy from stores from the bulb itself. I have an extra light on it, I alternate days/times with the other tank and the Anubias Pinto if it does not get enough light it just stays green without the white spots, lol.

Sounds great! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

I'm trying to order some cheap tabs (clay plus organic fert). Hope to get those next week. Did place an order last week but seems lost somewhere (hadn't paid yet).

Bought some seachem flourish tabs when I bought a heater. Turns out the old heater seems to be still going, just the bulb light not showing. Will see but coming into summer now. Put all 10 tabs up the back so fingers crossed for the swords and crypts.

It looks so dense and happy!

I'll see if it hates me tomorrow :) I put in back into the back corner and a bit on its side (will see how tough it is bwahaha).

The roots were really growing into the top cm only so pretty much just placed it back onto gravel and swiveled it around slightly to sink it a little. And then rescued all my expensive nano plant gravel and seachem flourite off the bits getting thrown out. All that gravel went on top to weight it a little.

Family is away in two weeks so tempted to put it on a solid piece of wood branch. That would give it a bit of height and make pruning much easier. Was much easier just pulling it out and pruning it.

With root tabs it will REALLY be a jungle!

As for the Bolbitis it is a favorite of mine. The one I have is less dense probably due to less light, but also seems like a larger leaf and darker green. It does well being moved clipped and taken out of the tank for rearranging.

I also have the little tiny one, it is a tissue culture, Difformis variety, gets only a few inches tall. Mine is still in the little cup, I need to grab some wood and a rock and get it all into a tank. I have had this kind 2 other times and once died quickly, one other time lasted only around a year or so. Very cute. Also called Baby Leaf Bolbitis or B. mini. Also this is a favorite due to the petite, leafy, frilly texture but I just haven't found the perfect growing conditions yet. One I would like for a paludarium build.

Lol - very apt! Yeah, I was thinking the ferns are nice as don't drop leaves like the stem plants but they get so in-grown :( Starting to think crypts are the way to go. Finally finished and it already looks pretty full but hopefully that will do for a bit (just more pruning of java fern).

So this week still to do:- just found a t5ho bulb is blown so will start replacing bulbs (perfect excuse to go to lfs and get driftwood as well). Java fern needs more pruning on right side.

First email order on root tabs was lost so in contact with second order. I worked out the 3kg post bag was cheapest (cough), so getting a kilogram of ferts and the rest root tabs (should last a few years). I only really know of one guy to order from in Australia so like have god stock on hand just in case.

Ok (ugh, terrible internet), thinking of getting this and putting the bolbitis onto it.

The top photo above has a ruler on top of tank and this ornament is about that size (a foot). Not as nice as driftwood if I ever try selling it but I could put this flush on tank back almost and would give the bolbitis a little more height.

And make pruning much easier. Mainly thinking of the pruning tbh, I think whatever it sits on will be hidden?

The dragon stone would be probably be great for the plant to grow into but possibly expensive. I might be able to get something else on a field trip in a month.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Mountain-...3Ab89f793915e0ab647116dc50ffd26daa%7Ciid%3A14

Last edited:
Wow just got the iPhone 6s and picture of quality has improved 10 fold. Tank looks really really healthy Dela nice work!

Back
Top Bottom