Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot phosphate was 5ppm so will ease off dosing there.

Makes the CO2 calc interesting :)

Or I’ve wondered how brackish water testing gets on - I mean is it FW or SW colour legend??

JBL strip test really depends on finding a spot with no shadows for the camera I feel. Still prefer the API test (of the two), but having the phone camera work out the colours is the way of the future I feel. JBL is very quick test though compared to API.

And ran out of time to do the CheMETs nitrate test which on cost and time might be getting into something a farmer would use. But I guess if no time to use it, a test kit is a bit useless no matter how good.

Kh was all a bit odd and need to check what each measures. Pool test kit is 3 solutions and pool water is meant to be kept in a certain kh range (so should be better than API and JBL), but want to test some more. (or I could change some water in tank like I should be doing).

Anyways moral of the story is probably never, ever have more than one test kit :)

Last edited:
...Anyways moral of the story is probably never, ever have more than one test kit :)

I think you’ll drive yourself crazy.
As for which kit to use for brackish water, I would say FW since the SG is pretty low (1.005-1.010).
Make note of the GSA, or lack of, and other algae incidents at the phosphate level.

Dela. You know how I feel about test kits but I know how you enjoy a good test. My thoughts? Don’t get too hung up on these results, they will tell you nothing you can’t already figure out for yourself. You are a competent plant grower with and without these kits. Put them away [emoji6][emoji846]

Just .... (gasp).... one more .... (choke) test kit! :) Lol - doesn’t help that my work largely involves using rock assay results. I will confess that summer pools take all the fun out of it though (make a heck of a winter pond though).

(Below for 30kL or 8,000gal & before the safety fence / gate are added to seal).

GSA has been persistent in a few spots. I’ll have to check but I think phosphate has been around 2 to 5ppm (off the same test kit anyways). It’s mainly been where protected by Java Fern or in odd spots really hard to get to around equipment. A little strange.

And a little green algae every so often.

That’s a good idea on algae record keeping. I should add that to posts.

The aponogeton gets brown spots on old leaves which is kind of annoying and I should post on. Trying to keep nitrates up lately.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Similar, but my comfort level for what it is REALLY, is now rocked. How can I know what my levels really are if these tests are this different?

Which did you not like? Maybe I mis-typed as was pretty happy with these.

Nitrates I’m happy with. Kh test actually might have some issues (be interesting to see what brands SW tanks use - kh not really important in my FW tank but seems a good test is required for pools).

No, no problems, Well I mean I feel like the numbers aren't the same so how do you know which test kit to trust?!! To me all tests should be pretty much the same, but I get it how not to worry too much. If I had a blood test by 2 companies I would expect 2 different labs to send back virtually the same numbers.

So is that a summer pool??? To bad not a winter pond?... We are now getting winterish weather - going to freeze tonight :( Had to pick my Pumpkins.

One high school guy I knew of a few years ago had a few of the small swimming pools in his families basement growing lots of Cichlids!!!

Yes, a friend used FW to test brackish.

I had a think and I’m not sure on the GSA. It’s not been a problem but I am finding it more often where it is hidden by the Java Fern and perhaps around equipment. Could be just coincidence. Main issue is cleaning it off where it is hard to access.

New bulbs are all added (all 4 replaced now). Perhaps a touch more green algae on glass.

These spanner barbs are not for the faint-hearted. Pretty much try to get the pellets in before they splash them back out, charging around. So far the rams are doing ok but I’m thinking now not the best combination. I’ve never seen feed disappear so fast.

I reckon - maybe some really nice shrimp. The ninja shrimp would be lost (unless they are yet to get much bigger - and more colour would be nice too). Anyways something different, I’ll see if anything different comes up next auction but I think that is into the new year.

Wish I could pop across!

It’s hard to tell as I just replaced the bulbs but all I can say is the GSA is there still in tank but mainly on glass in odd spots. Spent a few minutes this week with algae magnet on glass so will see if the GSA is back next week (like a bad western - showdown at the shipwreck hotel - cue barb chasing tumbleweed across tank).

Lol - probably a hit single from some frustrated aquarium keeper.

Has anyone grown plants off glass mounts? I glued some buce to one to find some real estate but hunting for something better. I had these left over from something but so far not finding much better. Might use thread next time but would be nice to get something the plant could grow into (possibly time to get another tank).

https://i.imgur.com/OYJpYau.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DVvVO5W.jpg

Tested pool with pool ph and api test kit - both 8.2 or so. I remember testing this last summer against the digital pens and was pretty happy (except I forgot how much of a pain the ph colour charts are).

APi kh test kit 90ppm and pool test kit 70ppm (maybe 80ppm if kind as dribbles extra drops). I used a glass of tap water that had been standing over-night so should of been little interference from anything in the water. The pool test kit has no date but did match the pool shop results last summer. So, the KH test kits interesting puzzle.

Very healthy looking C.Balansae. Loved it in my tank when it finally took off.

Thanks! It’s always been pretty happy in this tank, wish I had more of them. Thanks for the name, I think I had this one under assorted crypts.

I should give up on the buce. On the Queensland forums they talk about a new leaf every week or so which is just way too slow to survive in this tank. But it’s too tempting to try growing something on the glass.

I was meant to bring back some iron rock from a field trip to try as full of holes for roots (was going to tie rock to glass sucker mount and then plant to rock) but clean forgot all about it. Might go into shop next week and check out the lava rock.

I confess I think I over-stocked the tank on these barbs. Looked much smaller in shop... Very stocky, actually dwarf the angelfish a bit. And if the tank was a boat, they would be tipping it to one side as they rush to follow anyone coming into the room. They kind of remind me of goldfish but I think goldfish have more manners.

Back
Top Bottom