Demasoni/Yellow Lab tank for beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea. Ive done the rock thing and had good times with em but moved on. I really like the colors and such since it for my fiances enjoyment as well as visitors

Watch the psuedotropheus crabro, they reach 8 inches and have nasty attitudes

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yea, ive checked them out. He was a present that was in my tank when i got home from work, along with the other fish i have. I didnt want to tell her that we couldnt have these fish. I took the route of seeing how it goes and keeping an eye on aggression.

Ive kept and bred kenyi in a community before and they werent very nice but managable so i believe ill be able to manage this crabro. They are real nice looking fish, especially next to the demasoni stripes!

Oh they're beautiful fish. I started out with two crabro in a mixed mbuna tank that had kenyi, zebras, labs and acei. I bought them all at about 1 inch. After about a year the zebras and kenyi were jerks and about 3.5 inches, the labs and acei were pretty docile, labs were about 2.5 inches and acei were close to 4 inches. However in the same time same tank the crabro were over 6.5 inches and holy terrors. Then they started killing. They were my favorite but it was get rid of them or everything else. Just keep an eye out.

Kinda ironic that my OB m. Est. Has outgrown all my fish so far. Wondering if its actually a m. Est...

Hey, have you ever had experience with the hemichromis bimaculatus? I know they are more of a river fish and possibly needing a little bit lower pH but just curious if you know anything...

Yes, the jewel cichlid. They are gorgeous as well, and yes you are on the money, being a riverine cichlid they're not advised to be with any rift lakes species based on water parameters and temperament. However species only jewel tanks are stunning.

I actually "baby sat" one for about a month for a friend's dad, they have interesting behavior, just a little different personality from mbuna.

Yes, the jewel cichlid. They are gorgeous as well, and yes you are on the money, being a riverine cichlid they're not advised to be with any rift lakes species based on water parameters and temperament. However species only jewel tanks are stunning.

I actually "baby sat" one for about a month for a friend's dad, they have interesting behavior, just a little different personality from mbuna.

Itd be cool to get an awesome hemichromis only tank going! The different types have some special colorations!

Ahh this is where i started with this tank almost 3 years ago! Its been through a lot of fish! Ive had 5 generations of red zebras and rustys and acei as well as 2 generations of kenyi! Now its moved 10 hours away to our new home and started fresh!
1487858825202.jpg1487858830861.jpg

Thats awesome! Hey i got a question....do you use a powerhead or any kind of air pump in your tank?

Just an air pump and a airator. I have 2 HOB filters and a canister spray bar that more than efficiently move the water around and aggitate the surface water. Whenever i get a bigger tank ill be drilling it with a sump and will need some powerheads and such.

Hmm...i dont have a air pump or anything..lol...should i be getting one, ya think? I have one HOB filter and my canister

So....guess what? I spontaneously bought a 75 gal tank today..lol came with a wood stand, glass canopy, 2 emporer 400 hob filters, and t8 lights...but u will be proud, im currently having my husband cutting the bottoms out of crates so i can put in the tank and i am painting the back of it...it will take me a few days to get it all set up tho!

You could have it done today and start the cycle. I used acrylic paint and a hair dryer for my tank. Thats awesome though! You making a new setup or just moving everything to the new tank and takin down your 55?

Did you score it cheap on craigslist? Or sales at the lfs?
I got my 60gal setup at petsmart for $175 on sale from $350. Havent seen em that low since

I found it on a buy and sell page on facebook but as it turned out, it was the owner of a LFS that had closed down. I got all of it for 200... and i looked up the filters that came with it which are emperor 400 and they are better than my canister i bought..lol..they are 400 gph and my canister is only 300... so do you think i should add any fish or just stick with what i have..? [emoji15] [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom