DO you have aquascaping tools and where did you get them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly I think that aquascaping tools are the biggest rip ever. I use normal scissors to trim, I use a $3 algae scapper for any algae problems, any other tool they sell you can use a easy cheap something else lol.

Really only difference is they look better, they are stain-less steel, and the scissors are bent at an angel which is handy, but seriously not worth the money to me. You might be able to find better prices from people that bought them and now are re-selling them, but honestly not worth the money you spend on the tools.

Here is a link to a place that sells the tools, you can see how much of a rip they are.
Layout and Maintenance Tools

How about 18" long stainless steel TWEEZERS, not forcepts. Delicate enough to pick up a hair.

HERE

How about 18" long stainless steel TWEEZERS, not forcepts. Delicate enough to pick up a hair.

HERE
that's exactly what i want. but i don't wanna pay that much :(
i got a whole buttload of microswords that need planting and my fat fingers just don't cut it.

Obv. not the option. Just get reg tweezers, don't waste your money

Well thats your opinion Ben. Long tweezers have a very practical purpose. 18 dollars, (not 20) is not very much money. There is also 15 inch tweezers. Like many things in this hobby, one persons treasure is another persons garbage. I love them and use them constantly. Now if you compare this tweezer to Amanos which costs over 100 dollars, it then looks much more attractive! This is not for cheapos, but it is certainly far from the extravagant end. ;)

Well thats your opinion Ben. Long tweezers have a very practical purpose. 18 dollars, (not 20) is not very much money. There is also 15 inch tweezers. Like many things in this hobby, one persons treasure is another persons garbage. I love them and use them constantly. Now if you compare this tweezer to Amanos which costs over 100 dollars, it then looks much more attractive! This is not for cheapos, but it is certainly far from the extravagant end. ;)

Still, with the $16 you save you can buy something different like new plants or maybe a new fish or a couple fish, many other things. Your paying an extra $16 (also that's without shipping) just to not get hands wet. Rather use some $2 tweezers that work just aswell, I just have to touch the water.

I guess its all about the supply of money, and priorities, as well as how often you use it. Loggers use 2000$ saws when I'm happy with my dinky 8$ hand saw.

Still, with the $16 you save you can buy something different like new plants or maybe a new fish or a couple fish, many other things. Your paying an extra $16 (also that's without shipping) just to not get hands wet. Rather use some $2 tweezers that work just aswell, I just have to touch the water.
I don't care about getting my hands wet. Have you ever planted microswords? They're itty bitty little plants that dislodge incredible easy. Working with normal size tweezers and trying to plant a field of micro-sword...not gonna work. Everytime you bump a microsword, it's prolly gonna come out.

I don't care about getting my hands wet. Have you ever planted microswords? They're itty bitty little plants that dislodge incredible easy. Working with normal size tweezers and trying to plant a field of micro-sword...not gonna work. Everytime you bump a microsword, it's prolly gonna come out.

You can buy small tweezer with these points at wal-mart and they are perfect. I also use some tweezers from a pocket knife I have. I planted dwarf hairgrass and dwarf swords with them. It's fine.

Look in some vet supply catalogs. They have long tweezers, forcepts, scissors for various prices. And they last.

Ben,

At least in my humble opinion, there is a drastic difference between a "planted tank" and an "aquascape". I cant recall any of your posts talking about you having any sort of aquascape.. could be wrong though. That being said, walmart "ouch mommy I have a splinter in my finger" tweezers may not cut it for the extremely delicate work that I have seen done in "Aquascapes". (look at the ada site for examples... i am madly jealous)

With the incredibly dense planting, I cant even imagine what thrusting my ham-hands into a bunch of delicate plants would do just so I only had to spend a couple of bucks on some cheapo scissors and tweezers.

Another argument is that the tools linked to above are *stainless steel*, and probably surgical grade, or close to it. Stainless steel is *very* good at keeping a sharp edge for a long time... obviously important with the scissors, as plants (and I get this from land based plants... but I'm sure the theory is the same) heal better and faster with a clean cut from a sharp utensil rather than the jagged edged cut that a cheap pair of scissors would create. I highly doubt that Walmart $1.99 instruments would be made of stainless steel... or even plated in it for that matter. Probably pot steel with a zinc plating.

I am also planning on making the move to aquascaping (or at least getting more into planted tanks... we'll see how it goes ;P) probably in the next 2 or 3 months.. It was good to see this thread as I was going back and forth on spending the money for good tools. It was nice to hear the $2000 15 HP, 4 foot blade chainsaw vs the pocketknife saw analogy. I can definitely say that I will be willing to spend the money.

Back
Top Bottom