Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm looking at a 48 LED kit from rapid LED for a 90Gallon on a new free 72 gallon bowfront i was just given, i need a new top frame for it and need tor drill for overflows but other then that all seals are solid. the LED kit is claimed as 15-16k in color though i haven't been able to find sample pics but i have e mailed rapidLED if they have some images

Standard 90g Tank Dimmable Kit - Rapid LED

LOL...even rapid is pimping the violet colored LEDs as "UV". You can dim the colors individually, correct? How can they state a color temp then? You should be able to make it any K you want.

you can dim them but not really all individually there are only 4 drivers with 5 colors.

i think they call the violet UV because it is violet and closer to the UV end of the spectrum which is in the 10-400nm range, but i do believe the violet LEDs are closer to an actinic then UV

A true ultraviolet led would look very dim to the eye, but be quite dangerous to look at if it if it packed much more power than needed for just a accent color. I do like the spectrum the Rapid fixture makes, but it isn't necessary to grow corals. I have covered the "uv" LEDs and looked side by side. The "uv" led did cause some corals to glow more than without it. I can only guess that that led causes a bit of fluorescence to happen.

A true ultraviolet led would look very dim to the eye, but be quite dangerous to look at if it if it packed much more power than needed for just a accent color. I do like the spectrum the Rapid fixture makes, but it isn't necessary to grow corals. I have covered the "uv" LEDs and looked side by side. The "uv" led did cause some corals to glow more than without it. I can only guess that that led causes a bit of fluorescence to happen.

which is what i think the intent was for placing them in, to give the corals a bit more pop, and the thing is in my current 35g i have 3 22k super blue KZ T5HOs and a Single Fiji Purple which i honestly love, the coloring of this setup really makes the colors pop, just look at my avatar, that is my RBTA and the color is just awesome so i am really not against a purple hue

Doug has your brown alge problem gone away? I cant get mine under control and im pretty sure this stuff is dinoflagellates. Nasty stuff, it releases toxins into the water.

Doug has your brown alge problem gone away? I cant get mine under control and im pretty sure this stuff is dinoflagellates. Nasty stuff, it releases toxins into the water.

I'm getting rid of mine right now... I hate this stuff...

How are you treating this?

Did a water change and sucked out as much as possible, watched it come back within 2 hours... Then I put a blanket over the tank and its been on there for 2 days and need to do it for 3 days.. Change the carbon and running a heavy wet skim. I am also praying Haha then I will cut the lights to 4 hours a day and slowly rise them. I also raised the pH to 8.4

The brown is mostly gone in my tank. I truly think it was a massive diatom bloom. A million water changes later, it's nearly gone.

I get brown stuff on my power head and my overflow box. Is that the same stuff? When I do my water changes I just clean them off. That's the only places I've ever seen it though.

Dunno.
That said, an update is in order :band:-

I still have my business license from when I used to pimp livestock, so i got a couple guys together and made a "group buy" of sorts.

they got all sorts of stuff and I found myself leaving work early to pick up 6 boxes from the airport-
img_2478173_0_4792f883bc924534af4581b49109d21c.jpg

I ended up getting roughly 90 pounds of Totoka live rock which will be cycled in this bin-
img_2478173_1_e6836e390f9c5aab29ccd258fc621ebb.jpg

I filled it with water from my system, and did a water change while i was at it.

I also ordered a few more anemones. I love the bubble tips, so I got 2 greens, and 2 more rose bubbles-
img_2478173_2_f533abbe6caabb983a1534b06510097d.jpg

I also got an orange spot rabbit, a black and white clown which I hope will pair up with my existing clown, an engineer goby, who is very, very young :nono:, an algae blennie, around the same age :ermm:, and I took a chance on a blue linckia starfish.

img_2478173_3_c9a3fe84d052bd8e4bc2304f1d6e5689.jpg

And now some randoms from the day...just progression stuff really-

img_2478187_0_c7bc0c107ba4a9eb9519332e440d035f.jpg

--
img_2478187_1_8b31d7ec29fc818e0e9300a30342f12f.jpg

--
img_2478187_2_8d7b371e6b0842658601263022faae6b.jpg

--
img_2478187_3_97c05738251c3efe56908508facf71db.jpg

--
img_2478187_4_dc6f8414099051d9df4907210a31dfdc.jpg

--Check out these montis...they are growing at a fast pace and very colorful under no white LEDs at all. Just the blues at around 80%
img_2478187_5_11fc0219edee7c4be5d071873026fa0c.jpg

--

I'm beginning to suspect I have been hitting my monti's with too much light.

Are you reselling this stuff or is it for personal consumption?

Wow that's a wild camouflage that your rabbit fish did ,...totally amazing to say the least ,kinda like what an octopus would do.

Just for me...I gave that large piece away for free today as a matter of fact. Some day I hope to offset some expense by selling frags, but I dunno.

The rock- I want/hope to add some diversity to the tank, and get rid of a massive rock of green palys I have in there now. i'll probably load up the sumps with what I don't use....maybe toss a light over them and a few frags in there too ;)

Back
Top Bottom