Dwarf Puffer Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MATESkid2016

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

My 10 gallon freshwater planted tank has been running for about a year now and I am looking into some new fish to stock it with. Right now it has 1 ADF (sadly its mate died due to intestinal blockage) :( 6 neon tetras, 2 otocincluses, 1 betta fish, 2 amazonian plants, and 1 hair grass colm. Everything is living in harmony and there have been little to no fights between the betta and its tank mates. I have been looking into a dwarf puffer fish to be the last fish to add to my tank. I find them so fascinating and would love to watch one swim around. I know that the puffer and the betta cannot be housed together because the puffer would tear the bettas long fins to shreds. My question is, should I move the betta out and into a bowl (I know this isn't the best tank option) so I can move the puffer in? Or just leave the tank as it is and maybe buy a separate 5 gallon tank kit for just one puffer to live in?

I'd buy a five and get it cycled and and either the puffers or the betta to it

I would go with something bigger than a 5 or 10 for a dwarf puffer. Maybe find a cheap used tank on craigslist.

From my experience...

Since 2005, I have always had 1 freshwater dwarf Puffer. I first put her into a 10 gal. with some dwarf cories, she was miserable, she constantly swam up and down the side of the tank. Then I put them in a 20 gal. long. She did much better in a bigger tank. Now she is in a 55 gal and she is so happy she is spitting bullets. She loves to mosey, then dart across the tank full speed.

I am not saying to get a 55 tank but I think a 20 would be better for a Puffer. Even though they are small, they like to have large areas to swim.

I would go with something bigger than a 5 or 10 for a dwarf puffer. Maybe find a cheap used tank on craigslist.

From my experience...

Since 2005, I have always had 1 freshwater dwarf Puffer. I first put her into a 10 gal. with some dwarf cories, she was miserable, she constantly swam up and down the side of the tank. Then I put them in a 20 gal. long. She did much better in a bigger tank. Now she is in a 55 gal and she is so happy she is spitting bullets. She loves to mosey, then dart across the tank full speed.

I am not saying to get a 55 tank but I think a 20 would be better for a Puffer. Even though they are small, they like to have large areas to swim.

Thank you I have never had one before so I was going off of what I read before.

Okay I will look into getting a bigger tank thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The betta would be better in the small tank. If you get more than one puffer they get super territorial. Usually about 5 gallon per puffer! Strange for such a tiny little guy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the dwarf puffer is not a community fish. You are not setting yourself up for success by add one to your 10g. It may work, but don't be surprised if you have problems in the future.

HTH

+1 for terrance! i would expect a lot of fin nipping from these so don't expect them to be a good community fish just because they are cute and small. the betta would not last a week

Back
Top Bottom