dwarf puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are dwarf puffer fish difficult to keep. I've read they are sensitive fish. Also would it be possible to keep otos with them?

They can be sensitive fish. I know many people have good luck with them though when they put them in proper tanks with proper diets. Make sure you get one that looks really healthy and keep up with the water changes. :)
I have heard most people say that oto and dp get along really well. Dp are not good community dwellers, but they seem to be ok with otos for some reason usually.

I have a 5 gallon tank that I was thinking of doing 1 in. I was mostly curious I'm not even sure if I can find any for sale near me and I don't wanna order online

I have a 5 gallon tank that I was thinking of doing 1 in. I was mostly curious I'm not even sure if I can find any for sale near me and I don't wanna order online
In a 5 gallon, I wouldn't recommend an oto. Otos like friends, and you should allow fro 5g per oto, so you don't really have space for more than 1. Sometimes, you find an oto that is a loner, but not usually. I have one in a 5 that never wanted to hang out with the group in a bigger tank, and she does ok, but IME/O, most of them are not that way. I know I have read on a bunch of puffer sites and forums that dp owners recommend a single oto with them, but I don't think thats usually good for the oto. But, sometimes it can work.
I am looking into maybe getting one for a 5g as well, but I will have to order online because I nobody here sells them.

Yeah I know otos should be in groups but I would like to be able to put something with the dp

I have one oto that is a loner but my others hang with my cories. Not to hijack the thread but... has anyone had luck with them? mine keep dying...

DPs aren't "sensitive", but they do require a good bit of effort to keep correctly. They are messy eaters and nearly obligate snail feeders so maintenance has to be tip top. For a 5G (if well planted, decored), you could do 2 DPs and maybe 3-5 pygmy cories. Otos will starve in a tank of that size 99 out of 100 times.

Yeah I know otos should be in groups but I would like to be able to put something with the dp
Why? Dp do fine on their own. They do not need tankmates and are fairly active, so they will swim all over the tank.
If you want to try an oto, try to find one that doesn't hang out with others and keep a close eye on it. Otos are sensitive, so not having friends can be very stressful for many of them IMO/E.

I've read that dp can be territorial and u should only keep 1 per 5 gallons. But Cory's maybe an idea

DPs aren't "sensitive", but they do require a good bit of effort to keep correctly. They are messy eaters and nearly obligate snail feeders so maintenance has to be tip top. For a 5G (if well planted, decored), you could do 2 DPs and maybe 3-5 pygmy cories. Otos will starve in a tank of that size 99 out of 100 times.
You think so? I have heard that 3 gallons per dp is the minimum and all the people I know who tried to keep more than 1 dp in a 5 ultimately had aggression issues. But, you may know better. :)
Good point about the oto needing feeding space.

I was thinking of an oto to help keep the tank clean. What kind of diet should dp have
They need lots of snails and other crunchy foods to keep their constantly growing teeth in check.

I have also heard that pygmy corys do better in a 10g minumum. But I do not own them, so again, maybe I am wrong. I know the pygmys tend to hover and swim around more than to just be one the bottom like other corys, but 5 of them plus 2 dp seems pretty crowded to me.

You think so? I have heard that 3 gallons per dp is the minimum and all the people I know who tried to keep more than 1 dp in a 5 ultimately had aggression issues. But, you may know better. :)
Good point about the oto needing feeding space.

Heavily planted yea, no problem. Per G "rules" tend to be too generic. Are 2 DPs and cories right for any 5G tank? Nope. It can be done right though. We've kept eight in a 20. The feeding and cleaning just got to be too much. They are also very prone to worms and need to be properly treated when imported or received.

They need lots of snails and other crunchy foods to keep their constantly growing teeth in check.

I have also heard that pygmy corys do better in a 10g minumum. But I do not own them, so again, maybe I am wrong. I know the pygmys tend to hover and swim around more than to just be one the bottom like other corys, but 5 of them plus 2 dp seems pretty crowded to me.

You are exactly right about their need to erode their teeth.

There are generally three species referred to as "pygmy" cory and I apologize for not being more specific. Pygmaeous are the most common and are the mid-level hoverers. Habrosus and hastatus also stay very small, but tend to act more like the typical cory, staying on the bottom with the occasional scoot to the surface. Entirely possible if planned and executed correctly IMO.

Heavily planted yea, no problem. Per G "rules" tend to be too generic. Are 2 DPs and cories right for any 5G tank? Nope. It can be done right though. We've kept eight in a 20. The feeding and cleaning just got to be too much. They are also very prone to worms and need to be properly treated when imported or received.
Fair enough. I am sure it depends on the individual fish as well to some extent. Good to know though. I had not heard about the corys being ok tankmates before. :)

Just found out that the Walmart where I'm going up north in a month carries dps. Its 2 1/2 hours from my place though should I be concerned about getting it home? I've heard those foam fish containers are good because they hold heat. Since Walmart will probably only put it in a bag.

Just found out that the Walmart where I'm going up north in a month carries dps. Its 2 1/2 hours from my place though should I be concerned about getting it home? I've heard those foam fish containers are good because they hold heat. Since Walmart will probably only put it in a bag.
I wouldn't be concerned about the trip. I have brought fish home from 3.5 hours in bags without an issue. But, I am guesing the foam container couldn't hurt.
Just a note, make super sure that WalMart can tell a dp from a green-spotted puffer. I have never seen a dp in a WalMart, but I have seen gsp before. Of course, that doesn't mean all WalMarts are like that. :)

Back
Top Bottom