Dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the future I was thinking of starting a new tank and would like a dwarf puffer, does anyone have experience with this fish and what (if any) would be good tank mates?

Also, would a betta and kuhli loaches coexist maybe with platies?

I have a 20 and would eventually like a 55 gallon or more tank.

In the future I was thinking of starting a new tank and would like a dwarf puffer, does anyone have experience with this fish and what (if any) would be good tank mates?

No experience with dps, sorry. With your next question, it depends on the personally/temperament of the betta. But in most cases it'd more than likely not work. Though kuhli loaches will work with plates.

I've had two dps, and I wouldn't put anything with them. I've heard that you might be able to get away with some Otos or possibly shrimp, but it would completely depend on your puffer. But I wouldn't bank on having something with your puffer!

I have a female betta with platies and other live bearers and it's worked well up to this point. But I know I'll always have to watch and see if the tides turn. Bettas can be funny because, as already noted,it very much depends on the temperament of the particular betta. I'd say give it a go with the caution that it may not work. We were lucky in that the first try with a betta in a community tank has worked, up to now anyway. Lots of people have it work while for others it's a disastrous mix from the get go. And I'd suggest to have a back-up plan in place.

I'll add, too, that I am also thinking of setting up a dwarf puffer tank and have come to the conclusion based on posts here and searches that it's best to do a puffer only tank. Again, that's just based on what I feel from research and not on experience.

I had a dwarf puffer. I had to be very choosy with my fish when I had it. I stuck with community fish because they are not as aggressive. I found this worked out well until my tank started going haywire. You will want to get a sponge to put around your filter head because they can get stuck in them easily, they have great personalities (I names mine Pea :-D) and are very curous. Since they are a scaleless fish you will want to make sure your tank is fully established before your put them in it. Slightly higher PH is best and they do well in brackish and fresh water.

On most websites they say dwarf puffers should only be in a tank of their own kind. I think this is because they scare easily, and they are so small they can be eaten by just about any aggressive fish. I say community fish with dwarf puffers or a dwarf puffer only tank. Make sure there are many places for them to hide and get away if you put them in a community tank.

Here is a website I visited a lot when I had my puffer.
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Back
Top Bottom