dyed Betta water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was in a pet shop a while back and when I looked at their bettas(kept in clear cups about the size of a med softdrink) I noticed that every one seems to have a light blue color to the water. Does this serve a purpose or is it just decoration?

It's an additive for the water that supposedly calms the fish and increases O2. They are never needed in a well maintained tank (or IMO shipping).

Slightly off-topic: Bettas need more than a bowl (at least 2.5G) that is filtered and heated. Any shop that tells you "they're fine in a bowl" or "they only grow as big as their enclosure" should be avoided.

Welcome to AA by the way!

It all adds up now, and yeah i don't listen to the sales ppl anymore, one sold my GF a Blood parrot and told her it would be good mixed in with a Betta and some sharks, we ended up with a dead betta and traumatized sharks so that was the end of taking their advice. The betta we have now pretty much has the run of a 10 gal tank so he should be good for space.

Very nice! Sounds like a happy fish.

The other pet shop in town keeps all their Bettas prebagged(the bag is about the size of a small fist) floating on top of another tank with the bags knotted shut, makes me wonder how they get food/air. Long story short, we don't shop there anymore.

The bettas at your petstore are spoiled compared to the ones at our petco. They're kept in a plastic cup the size of a baseball and it has a little tiny hole in the top! They don't get fed unless you feed them yourself so I always bring my betta food and drop 1 flake and 1 pellet to each betta! I know that sounds like a small amount but the flakes are huge. However at our local petstore the female are kept together in a big heated filtered tank for normal fish and fed every other day so they can digest propely! The males are kept in 1 gallon plastic bowls people donate. And they don't keep more than they can take care of lime our petco!

Back
Top Bottom