Epuerto's 55g corner build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
still nothing they said they will be getting some soon =( but everything is still alive in the tank and it has been about 2 weeks lol

Has been a long time since i have posted, i went through a series of bad luck on the tank, and havnt been able to stand to look at it and pretty much let it go to waste. It has been laying there fishless, and lifeless for months now except for a gsp which is the toughest thing i have ever seen, i feel like a bad person by just leaving it like that, but i have that deep feeling in my heart for fishes, and coral and a part of the ocean in my home, I have been putting in some consideration, and i am thinking of either going back and redeeming myself, and this thread and hard work that has been put into that tank. I am unsure on what i should do. thinking about just working with this tank which parameters are good, or selling the tank and buying a 28g nano cube. I am confused, and frustrated and would like some help =)

wow, long time no see! lol

If you have it in you i think maybe you should give it another go. :)

Long time no see to you too =), there is nothing i want more than a reef. What do you think i should do? Pick up from where i left of, or buy a nanocube? I have about 350 dollars to spend on stuff other than livestock, what should i do?

I'd vote use what you got. :)

So refresh my memory and let others know, what exactly do you have? Equipment, lights, sand, live rock etc etc...

This could be fun!

I'd vote use what you got. :)

So refresh my memory and let others know, what exactly do you have? Equipment, lights, sand, live rock etc etc...

This could be fun!
Ok time to crack the knuckles and ready up its going to be a bumpy ride xD.
Ok equipment list time
2 65w pure white pc bulbs
a powertech HOB power filter, i think its rated for a 70 gallon, its the biggest one they make last i checked
A remora HOB protein skimmer works great but i cannont remove the collection cup its like the salt glued it into place.
60lbs of rock
40lbs of bahamas argonite sand
2 koralia 550s
60 gallon whater heater
2 mixing powerheads
1/3 a 5 gallon bucket of salt
like 2 3foot halfinch air tubing
syphone
glass scrubber
and something i forgot to mention, something that resembles corraline, it is all over the front of my glass and powerheads and grows in spots, bot isnt like encrusting when i scrub it off it just comes of like a small pink plate of algae.

Well first thing, get that skimmer working. :) Maybe a soak in vinegar & water will free it up. Is it stuck at the rubber band thing or inside?

Is the tank full? have you left the filter running or powerheads? Or do you need a whole new tank of water?

You do have a test kit for the water right? First thing is to get you running and then get you cycling. :) You might still have some beneficial bacteria floating around in there. lol

Ok skimmer is sitting in laundry sink with hot water flowing into the top and the cup if free. yes the powerheads and filters where running, there is hope also my dsp that i added when this thread was up, even with the lack of light, nutrients, and hope is still alive very very pale, almost white, but came out to soak up the rays. and yes i have a water kit.

I would do a sample test. Add 1ppm of ammonia and see if it gets eaten up overnight. If it goes to 0 you still have some cycle left. I wouldnt go too high with the ammonia cause you still have the coral in there.

I would, just for ha ha's. you shouldnt have anything reading I'd guess. maybe some trace nitrates.

Do you have any clean up crew in there?

i had a clean up crew -.- some hermets n snails, not sure how they are, but there is one hermit walking around i saw earlier, time for a quick water test

I was about to go out to the store if there is any suggestions on things to pick, i was thinking a aquaclear 70 or 110?

If getting a new filter I would stick with the bigger one. :)

I would see if you can get some pure ammonia from ace hardware.

Ok im back i decided to find a better filter than what they had on the internet, but i did get some ammonia at walmart, its pure ammonia, no odor or anything. How much do i add?
Also and any tips on a good filter up to around $140

Put in amonia at about 3 0'clock and it was about .5ppm, ill go check at like 9 or 10 to see what's up with it, if the ammonia drops 2 zero is my tank good for fish, is there any precautions i should take when adding fish, like a preliminary water change?

Back
Top Bottom