Festae coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know they're much smaller than I anticipated.They may have lost a little colour in transit as I bought them online.We will see.
They look lost in a 5 foot tank lol

If you have something smaller than that to start off would be ideal, fifteen 1" fish in a 5ft tank will look empty. I prefer to start out smaller as it's easier to grow out fish then transfer when needed.

Wait til you start getting an alpha male in your group.. my buddy that gave me mine got 45 off rapps and man did they start getting MEAN when they get about an inch and a half lol mine have a ton of personality already too at almost a yr old

HUKIT said:
If you have something smaller than that to start off would be ideal, fifteen 1" fish in a 5ft tank will look empty. I prefer to start out smaller as it's easier to grow out fish then transfer when needed.

It does indeed look empty but that's where they will stay.They are getting bolder by the hour and a couple of them have a little bit of darker colour to them along with black spots near the tail.They are already eating as I dropped a few 1mm NLS pellets in for them so that's a good sign.They are too big to get sucked into the filters.
I now only have rocks and bogwood in there.All the plastic plants were removed.

Mrc8858 said:
Wait til you start getting an alpha male in your group.. my buddy that gave me mine got 45 off rapps and man did they start getting MEAN when they get about an inch and a half lol mine have a ton of personality already too at almost a yr old

So an inch and a half at nearly a year old?

Garfy,

Mine went from 0.75" to about 3" TL in 4 months

garfy said:
So an inch and a half at nearly a year old?

Yep. Mine was in the middle range of growth since all the large specimens he kept but the largest ones were about 3" at a almost a year. They are very slow growers but don't let their size full you their common name fits them very well lol

rocksor said:
Garfy,

Mine went from 0.75" to about 3" TL in 4 months

Were you keeping a group or just power feeding and babying a single specimen?

No that's average growth rate, right around a half inch per month is right on track.

Here is my F1's at 1.5"

27198-albums1492-picture10197.jpg

3", you can see the female starting to color

27198-albums1492-picture34030.jpg

4"
27198-albums1492-picture36676.jpg

6"

27198-albums1492-picture38283.jpg

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
No that's average growth rate, right around a half inch per month is right on track.

Here is my F1's at 1.5"

Well that's good to know I guess him keeping so many together must have really slowed down their growth rate.. hopefully now my two will take off :)

Well that's good to know I guess him keeping so many together must have really slowed down their growth rate.. hopefully now my two will take off :)

Any chance to get more, only having two reduces the chances of getting a pair dramaticlly?

HUKIT said:
Any chance to get more, only having two reduces the chances of getting a pair dramaticlly?

Well the plan is there is me and 2 buddies that split the festae up with since he didn't have the tank space to keep em all alive.. once we can begin sexing we will do some more trading

And to be quite honest I'm not even sure if I want the headache of a pair think I just want an aggressive community plywood tank (200-300gallons) with one beautiful female festae.. I kinda think the males are ugly actually and I just moved into my house on the first so the plywood tank should be started in about a month! So pumped haha

Well the plan is there is me and 2 buddies that split the festae up with since he didn't have the tank space to keep em all alive.. once we can begin sexing we will do some more trading

Not to jack Garfy's thread much longer but trying to force a pair with these is extremely tough, it's hard enough to keep a pair that actually chose each other.

Ya sorry garfy but if I don't get a pair out of my two then more then likely ill just keep my female alone like I sed and just buy a pair or f3s off my buddy if I decide to try and breed since I have easy access to them for cheap. Plus he has Ecuadorians and Peruvians so a bit of a selection lol

HUKIT said:

Here is my F1's at 1.5"

3", you can see the female starting to color

4"

6"

Thanks for sharing the pictures it great to see them at various stages of growth.

garfy said:
I know they're much smaller than I anticipated.They may have lost a little colour in transit as I bought them online.We will see.
They look lost in a 5 foot tank lol

If u don't mind me asking could u yell me how much they were and where did u order them from? I would love to have 1

stone1269 said:
If u don't mind me asking could u yell me how much they were and where did u order them from? I would love to have 1

No not a problem.I ordered 10 at £8.50 each and I found them on E-Bay.Several fish shops had promised me they could get them but none came up with the goods.Im in England by the way.

Back
Top Bottom