Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at Petsmart today and I just couldn't decide which filter to get. So i figured i need to do more research and get some more info on here.
So any more opinions and options would be great.
I want a filter that will have at least 220 GPH. And i think I only want to run 1 filter unless running 2 is better. I currently am running a Marineland Penguin 200B.

I want the filter that is best for the money and one that will work the best. And is Quiet!!!!! I am okay with spending $$$ but I want to make sure that the filter is worth it....

I was at Petsmart today and I just couldn't decide which filter to get. So i figured i need to do more research and get some more info on here.
So any more opinions and options would be great.
I want a filter that will have at least 220 GPH. And i think I only want to run 1 filter unless running 2 is better. I currently am running a Marineland Penguin 200B.

I want the filter that is best for the money and one that will work the best. And is Quiet!!!!! I am okay with spending $$$ but I want to make sure that the filter is worth it....

What kind of money are you thinking of spending? If your okay spending about $100 you could also look into the fluval 06 series canisters. My 406 is even more quiet than my c series HOB and you can customize canisters more. Then you wouldn't need your HOB at all after your canister is seeded. If you need it I can figure out how to post videos of my c3 and 406 so you can see the inside of the c3 and how quiet both of them are

What kind of money are you thinking of spending? If your okay spending about $100 you could also look into the fluval 06 series canisters. My 406 is even more quiet than my c series HOB and you can customize canisters more. Then you wouldn't need your HOB at all after your canister is seeded. If you need it I can figure out how to post videos of my c3 and 406 so you can see the inside of the c3 and how quiet both of them are

I would be okay with spending that kind of money if its worth it. I don't really know that much about canisters filters though. Are they tough to maintain and clean ???? Like I said just the best system I can get and for the money. And will be best for my tank.

Tank Filter

Hello again Velk...

A Hagen Aquaclear 70 would turn over 300 gallons of water per hour. More than enough for your tank. This HOB is less than half the cost of a canister and very reliable. I've used Hagens in my tanks for several years and never replaced one.

This filter is about $50.00 in the store. I'd check Amazon.com. You can typically get better deals through them.

B

Hello again Velk...

A Hagen Aquaclear 70 would turn over 300 gallons of water per hour. More than enough for your tank. This HOB is less than half the cost of a canister and very reliable. I've used Hagens in my tanks for several years and never replaced one.

This filter is about $50.00 in the store. I'd check Amazon.com. You can typically get better deals through them.

B

Thanks. Great to know. Are they quiet?
I was seriously looking at one of those today and had it in my hand ready to buy but wanted to do some more research.

I was seriously looking at one of those today and had it in my hand ready to buy but wanted to do some more research.

Hagan ACs and fluvals are both very quiet and work amazing. Canisters are more expensive but are more customizable, look cleaner visually, and are also extremely quiet. An AC70, fluval C4, or a fluval 06 canister would all be perfect for your tank, at this point it's all about what you would want for your tank

All the Aquaclears I've had have been completely silent.

Hagan ACs and fluvals are both very quiet and work amazing. Canisters are more expensive but are more customizable, look cleaner visually, and are also extremely quiet. An AC70, fluval C4, or a fluval 06 canister would all be perfect for your tank, at this point it's all about what you would want for your tank

Thanks. Good to know. Personally which would you go with? Sorry just want to get the best one so i don't have to upgrade again.

Would all these filter work in a 55 or 60 gallon. If i ever decide to upgrade. As of now i am not planning on it but you never know.

Thanks. Good to know. Personally which would you go with? Sorry just want to get the best one so i don't have to upgrade again.

Would all these filter work in a 55 or 60 gallon. If i ever decide to upgrade. As of now i am not planning on it but you never know.

I think you should go with a Canister.

Ok thanks. Will definitely keep doing research and next time i'm in town will get a new filter.

Are the canisters easy to maintain? I have never had one so i don't have much knowledge about them at all.

Ok thanks. Will definitely keep doing research and next time i'm in town will get a new filter.

Are the canisters easy to maintain? I have never had one so i don't have much knowledge about them at all.

I just got my 406 right before Christmas so I don't have long term experience with them but so far it's been one of the easiest filters I have and is the quietest. It has sponges like the c series and ACs so just rinse those out every month or so in tank or tap water and replace the polishing pads (if you decide to use them) when they get gross. You can run whatever Chem media you want in them. The 05/06s comes with all the needed media and the replacement media is extremely cheap, definitely cheaper in the long run to have a canister, but the initial cost of $50 can seem a little steep sometimes.

I just got my 406 right before Christmas so I don't have long term experience with them but so far it's been one of the easiest filters I have and is the quietest. It has sponges like the c series and ACs so just rinse those out every month or so in tank or tap water and replace the polishing pads (if you decide to use them) when they get gross. You can run whatever Chem media you want in them. The 05/06s comes with all the needed media and the replacement media is extremely cheap, definitely cheaper in the long run to have a canister, but the initial cost of $50 can seem a little steep sometimes.

What brand is the 406? I assume that is the model ? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get what i need

It's a hagan fluval 406. The 06 is the series number, the 06 is the updated version of the 05. They have a 106, 206, 306, 406 and then the next step is the fx5 which filters up to a 400 gallon tank(that's what the manufacturer says anyway). I think the 306 is what would be best for your tank if you plan on removing your HOB after the canister is seeded and it leaves room for a tank upgrade in the future (I think). If you're just looking to supplement your HOB then the smaller models would work or just another HOB.

Don't ever be sorry for asking question, that's what this forum is for, and not asking question is worse for sure.

I definitely would like to just run one filter. So if i would get the 306, I would be able to get rid of my HOB?? And thanks for all the advice very helpful. Any idea what the 306 cost ?

You might want to check prices online for whatever you erase considering. I love my Fluval 406. I was a little intimidated at first, but it's really easy. Just be sure the O ring in the lid is properly installed. Lol.

You might want to check prices online for whatever you erase considering. I love my Fluval 406. I was a little intimidated at first, but it's really easy. Just be sure the O ring in the lid is properly installed. Lol.

Haha sounds like you had an o-ring mishap. Yes definitely check online, amazon is great. Pet smart had a 406 for like $220 or something but I got mine off amazon for $120 and free shipping.

A super quick search on amazon I found a 406 for $105. Just check the capacity of it too, I don't remember if a 306 or a 206 would be good for your tank

:eek::eek::eek:

If you rinse in tap water the chlorine from the water will kill your BB. You can treat a bucket of clean water and use it after the initial rinse in the tank water. :brows:

Zimmanski said:
Haha sounds like you had an o-ring mishap. Yes definitely check online, amazon is great. Pet smart had a 406 for like $220 or something but I got mine off amazon for $120 and free shipping.

A super quick search on amazon I found a 406 for $105. Just check the capacity of it too, I don't remember if a 306 or a 206 would be good for your tank

Yep. ;-) not too tragic. But it freaked me out that first time I turned it on, lol.

Thanks, I will do some looking around!!!!

Back
Top Bottom