Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking at getting a fluval for my 40 gallon. A 306 should be good for my size correct? I have been back and forth on the filter quandary for days now just like the OP.

:eek::eek::eek:

If you rinse in tap water the chlorine from the water will kill your BB. You can treat a bucket of clean water and use it after the initial rinse in the tank water. :brows:

You can rinse the foam in a canister in whatever you want, at least as long as you're using some kind of media like biostars, bio balls, or ceramic rings which in a fluval canister there's no reason why you wouldn't be using them.

You can rinse the foam in a canister in whatever you want, at least as long as you're using some kind of media like biostars, bio balls, or ceramic rings which in a fluval canister there's no reason why you wouldn't be using them.

Wow i have a LOT to learn. Foam? Biostars? Bio balls? Ceramic ring?

I am looking at getting a fluval for my 40 gallon. A 306 should be good for my size correct? I have been back and forth on the filter quandary for days now just like the OP.

So I looked it up. The 206 is for "up to 40 gallons" and the 306 is "up to 70 gallons". Many people like to go one step up than what manufacturers suggest but that's up to you if you need/want the extra gph and space. The 306 and 406 have 4 media trays along with the coarse sponges, the 206 and 306 have 3 trays + foam.

Wow i have a LOT to learn. Foam? Biostars? Bio balls? Ceramic ring?

Everything is provided for you in the fluval boxes. In a filter you have 3 types of filtration. Mechanical is the actual foam, either coarse medium or fine that does the actual trapping of stuff floating in your water, examples: detritus, plant matter and so on. Then you have chemical filtration such as carbon/activated charcoal, zeolite crystals, mixtures that pull chemicals and toxins out of the water such as medicines or ammonia. Then finally you have your biological filtration media like ceramic rings, biostars, or bio balls, these are used to house your beneficial bacteria that is needed for the nitrate cycle. In a canister and good HOBs they are all separate so you can replace one portion of filtration without losing BB and to save some money, in the cartridge type filters all these are combined so if you replace a cartridge you lose BB and end up spending more to replace the all in one piece

Thanks, wow that was a lot of info but greatly appreciated. I definitely need to study up. So anything other info i can get is Great!!!!!! Thanks again you are a ton of help and Greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Dumb question what does BB stand for?

Thanks, wow that was a lot of info but greatly appreciated. I definitely need to study up. So anything other info i can get is Great!!!!!! Thanks again you are a ton of help and Greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Dumb question what does BB stand for?

Beneficial bacteria, that's the bacteria that turns your ammonia into nitrite then nitrite into nitrate.

When I started out in the hobby I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing, then through the people on this forum and my own research I've learned so much and I'm able to provide for my pets the way they need, so I'm always happy to pass on information to someone else so they can have the best experience possible with this amazing hobby, just paying it forward. Anything else don't be afraid to ask!

No matter what type filter you go with just make sure you cover the main three types of filteration. Mechanical (ex. Foam), Chemical (ex. Carbon), and biological (ex ceramic rings or Bio-wheels). Each aspect has a big part of complete filteration. Just takes a lot of research. I really do love the canister filter now since I have tried one. I did get many years of great sevice from the penguin biowheels though. It is really a matter of what you prefer. Just keep up the water changes and your tank will be fine.

Beneficial bacteria, that's the bacteria that turns your ammonia into nitrite then nitrite into nitrate.

When I started out in the hobby I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing, then through the people on this forum and my own research I've learned so much and I'm able to provide for my pets the way they need, so I'm always happy to pass on information to someone else so they can have the best experience possible with this amazing hobby, just paying it forward. Anything else don't be afraid to ask!

Ok that is what I thought it stood for but wanted to know for sure
And that is exactly what I am trying to do. I have only been doing this hobby for a few months now. And just within the past few weeks upgrade to a large tank (well 36 gallon is large to me). So i am trying to get the set up to make the fish healthy and happy. And the knowledge so I can do that. Also love to watch my daughter watch the fish she just loves them!!!! Eventually I would love to have a 55-60 gallon tank but I want to have this 36 gallon for a while and get all the knowledge I can and for this tank to operate smoothly and healthy before I try to get a bigger tank.

There is an advantage of running two filters tho. If one craps out the second one is there already. Plus if you can clean one one week and the other the next that way you don't disturb the BB

I have had my tank for almost 11 years and I still don't know everything. Once it's cycled and the fish are happy it's great to just maintain and watch them. I slipped on my maintenance and while I didn't lose any of my fish, my aquarium took a hit and needs to re cleaned and turned around.

Ok that is what I thought it stood for but wanted to know for sure
And that is exactly what I am trying to do. I have only been doing this hobby for a few months now. And just within the past few weeks upgrade to a large tank (well 36 gallon is large to me). So i am trying to get the set up to make the fish healthy and happy. And the knowledge so I can do that. Also love to watch my daughter watch the fish she just loves them!!!! Eventually I would love to have a 55-60 gallon tank but I want to have this 36 gallon for a while and get all the knowledge I can and for this tank to operate smoothly and healthy before I try to get a bigger tank.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. You will enjoy the performance of a canister compared to a HOB filter, and maintenance isn't that difficult at all once you get it down.

My advice would be to run the old filter simultaneously with the new for about a month or two so the BB will colonize the bio-media in the canister. Once done and your tank inhabitants look happy, turn off and either remove the HOB or fit it with very fine filter floss and use it for water polishing.

Even with the new filter, remember that weekly water changes of at least 25% are essential to a healthy tank.

And beware bigger tanks. Those weekly water changes add up on the water bill (ask me how I know!). :)

Why get rid of the HOB the more filtration the better! If you don't want to have to keep buying filter cartridges just run the filter with only the Bio-Wheels. Plus if you keep the HOB it would allow you to upgrade to a larger tank than you could with just the canister.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. You will enjoy the performance of a canister compared to a HOB filter, and maintenance isn't that difficult at all once you get it down.

My advice would be to run the old filter simultaneously with the new for about a month or two so the BB will colonize the bio-media in the canister. Once done and your tank inhabitants look happy, turn off and either remove the HOB or fit it with very fine filter floss and use it for water polishing.

Even with the new filter, remember that weekly water changes of at least 25% are essential to a healthy tank.

And beware bigger tanks. Those weekly water changes add up on the water bill (ask me how I know!). :)

Thanks for the advice. And I plan on still running my HOB for a while once I do get a new filter. It may be a couple weeks before I get the new filter. Still want to do some more research on the best way to go, another HOB or bigger HOB or a Canister.
What is the filter floss you mentioned ? And I plan on doing the weekly WC. I don't mind doing those at all and its fun because my daughter is starting to get into helping me do them. I just have to get one of the python systems so i don't have to use a pitcher to fill the tank.

I went onto AqAdvisor.com and put in my current stock and my filter as the Fluval 306 and it said I was at 99% filtration capacity. Can that be right? 306 is said to be up to 70 gallon filter I would think that would be more then enough. Just want to know before I go buy it....or if I need to just get the 406....

Run multiple filters. If one breaks down unexpectedly you will still have one running. I also made the switch to a canister. I was running a Penguin biowheel (without the wheel) 150 and a whisper 30. I removed the whisper 30, added a marineland C220, but kept the biowheel. Ive only got some floss in it, but it makes it easy to add a bag of anything to without having to get into your canister. I had a bag of carbon in there after a substrate change and have a water softener pillow in right now. Normally though, I'll just have some floss in there. Extra water circulation and a backup incase one filter fails is safe.

Run multiple filters. If one breaks down unexpectedly you will still have one running. I also made the switch to a canister. I was running a Penguin biowheel (without the wheel) 150 and a whisper 30. I removed the whisper 30, added a marineland C220, but kept the biowheel. Ive only got some floss in it, but it makes it easy to add a bag of anything to without having to get into your canister. I had a bag of carbon in there after a substrate change and have a water softener pillow in right now. Normally though, I'll just have some floss in there. Extra water circulation and a backup incase one filter fails is safe.

Thanks that is a good point.

If you have the money, no. You can never over filter.

Absolutely true. The only thing you really have to do is be careful the increased flow of a bigger filter doesn't create a whirlpool inside your tank.

Do yourself a favor and don't over-think it. The first filter you picked would work great with your setup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom