Filtration for a nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WindSwept

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have no experience in salt water at all, but I've been researching nano reefs since I stumbled upon a a picture this morning. I think they're fascinating, and I love the look of the bright corals! My lfs recently opened up a saltwater section with all the essentials C:

So I think the best size for me would be a 20 gallon, but I'm a bit confused when it comes to filtration for nano reefs? I snooped around and saw some people use Aquaclear filters, but other than brand I pretty much no nothing!

Any information you'd like to share on filtration or nano-reefing in general would be a great help!

I would get the biggest tank possible. Smaller tanks are harder to keep and you can't have as many fish:( a 55 gallon is a great starter tank. If you can't get that big of a tank look into the biocube 29. They rock! The biocube comes with everything you need exept a heater, sand, and rock. For filtration IMO your best bet is 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon with a sump refugium.
(the biocube has a built in sump)

Here's a good sump if you decide to do a normal glass tank.
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/proflex-sump.htm

A sump is basically a place where you can put a protein skimmer(a must have on a reef) heater, and a refugium. A refugium is part of the sump where you can grow macro algae and place live rock rubble.
If you can't do the sump the you can look into modifying an aquaclear 110 into a refugium. So basically you want:
Biological filtration: live rock
Chemical: chemi pure or purigen(optional)
Mechanical: filter socks or a sponge
And natural: chaeto and macro algae.

:)

I agree, get a 55 or larger tank if you can. They are much more forgiving on beginner SW aquarists, plus you can have tons more different kinds of fish.

Do you have experience with FW tanks? Do you know what cycling is?

I'd love a large tank but there is a bit of an issue with space.. so a nano reef is more attractive at this moment C: I've been scouting out Biocubes for like the past 1/2 hour and I am starting think they are more cost effective than piecing to together a regular tank!

I've had fresh water tanks (and ponds) before, and I have a fair understanding of cycling (which seems a bit easier with help of live rock as natural filters, no?) and I've currently got a 40 gallon community tank in the works.

I don't mind the restrictions a nano would have on fish choices, I'm more intrested in the corals and small inverts-- not to say a fish wouldn't be welcome if it was a suitable fit~

Awsome! I would definatly recomend a biocube. I have one and I love it! You can put a lot of different kinds of corals in them:)

I would recommend the 29 biocube with mods. I am getting one very soon (it is in my amazon cart as we speak) haha I have researched the best one for weeks.

Greenturtle said:
I would recommend the 29 biocube with mods. I am getting one very soon (it is in my amazon cart as we speak) haha I have researched the best one for weeks.

When will your build thread be up?

Cube tanks are nice they are the basics of a simple set up. I don't recommend aquapod but have and have given jbj nanos as gifts. There are several mods you can do to any of them so you might check out which has the easiest mods for the type of corals and fish you are wanting. I change up the filter system get rid of any balls or noodles and go with chemi pure elite, and filter floss. The first thing I do is get rid of the light and get a MH light.

A couple of important things you will want is a refractometer and a liquid test kit.

Before deciding which size tank you want make sure the fish you want will work in it.

Go with 60-80% base rock from reefcleaners and the rest live. One thing I wish I didn't do was buy all live rock because I could've saved 300 if I went with base!!

I had a 20G Long Salt Tank, I used a Marineland Peguin Filter w/ Bio wheel, and a Red Sea Berlin Airlift Protein Skimmer. I had it up for Months. Never had a Problem with it. Had to Take down cause we moved. It was just to Small to set back up. Im planing on redoing a 20g Long Here Real Soon.

One of the Biggest Problems was evapration. Make Sure you keep Extra Premixed water on hand.

Biocube 29 is a great starter tank. That was my first tank 4 years ago before my 100g then 200g build before the military. Their new HQI system looks amazing. Make sure you use RODI water for top off and mixing salt if you choose not to buy saltwater from your LFS. A protein skimmer is a must with corals so look into that for sure

I purchased the JBJ 28g Power CF Nano Cube about a month ago and so far I love it!! I'm brand new to saltwater as well and after several years into the freshwater game, I finally took the plunge. I went with the Power CF model because of the price (350.00, free stand and free shipping from Marine Depot) and for the ability to upgrade the lighting for a decent price. Aqua Traders currently has a comparable HQI fixture that fits perfect on the JBJ 28g for $100---you just have to be alright with the open top setup on the cube. I also went with the Power CF model because it seems a lot of people were having temperature issues with the stock metal halide setups--didn't want to drop the cash on a chiller right out of the gate. I ditched the sponge, bio-rings and carbon that came with it and replaced it with the inTank upgraded media basket and am currently running it with filter floss on the top, chaeto in the middle and Chemipure Elite on the bottom. This with the recent addition of a Biocube protein skimmer has proven to be successful for me so far, although this thing could dissolve right in front of me at any moment... (sorry, even a month into SW I still question whether I can keep this thing going as well as it is...) :) that all being said, feel free to ask the newbie here if you have any questions, although there are WAY more qualified people on here than I, guess that's what makes this forum so much fun!! If you decide to go with any all-in-one cube setup, I highly recommend Carey's Biocube build thread!! I'm not kidding when I say I learned how to do this from THAT thread!! It's a wealth of information!

Glad you got some good information from the thread. :-D Thats why i documented everything I did. lol

Glad your setup is working out!

Good information? Great information!! I still pop back on there as things come up! One day there will be a 125g floating around this house, and yes, I'm already subscribed to your build thread regarding that too! Hah!!

Back
Top Bottom