First attempt at aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joebetts

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this is my first attempt at aquascaping, not completed as of yet. I have a piece of driftwood which has been soaked for quite a few weeks and today have put substrate in the tank a mix of flora base pro and a gravel substrate mix. I have planted a few grasses at the back hoping to disguise the filter intake. These will be accompanied by some amazon swords when I get them. A couple of pieces of anubius on the driftwood. Will attach java moss to the driftwood night but had filled the tank to keep plants alive. I also have dwarf hair grass to add to create a carpet. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Will update with more progress as and when :)

Looks good I like it. Be careful if you plan on using excel with the vals.

Hey. Would you be able to explain what you mean by that flchamp89? Thanks

Sorry... Excel or any glut product will damage vals. Its pretty well documented. If you dose low and gradually increase towards label rate they typically survive.

Okay thanks for that hint. At present I am not adding any product at all. I was informed that they should do well enough in the substrate with adequate light ?

They certainly may. However, all plants will benefit from macro and micros. Your par will also determine their need for nutrients.

What lights you running?

I have a fluval aquasky led 16w in the hood and then a couple of led circular spotlights I put in the back as I had a problem with shadowing due to the location of the strip light. These are purely intended to take away the shadowing. I intend on replacing theses potentially with another strip next month. Is this adequate ?

Although the spots do look pretty cool I think when on by themselves Image1486077302.862139.jpg

Im not familiar with that light. I know a few around here have them. Your plants aren't demanding. I always step up my photo period on a new tank while watching growth vs algae.

So you would recommend intense light for a longer period than normal ? Is that what you mean by step up ?

No.....generally 8 hrs is what alot of people run their light for. But not always mine are 7 for example. Why...cause that where my tank is balanced at.

So you got new tank and new plants. Not written in stone. But what I do is ill start at 6 and move up a half an hour each week till I find the duration that the plants like.

Pretty sure your real low light so you dont have to be as cautious. However, the anubias on the wood will get more light being higher in the tank. So those and the tops of the vals will be good indicators.

What sort of indicators should I look for? Sorry I'm completely new to this ?

Bleaching on anubias. Vals probably gey chlorotic and melt. Youll be fine.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully get some pictures up if I get around to mosses and dwarf hair grass tomorrow

One more quick question. Do I need to add anything to take chlorine out of the water for plants ? Or are they okay with regular tap water ?

Back
Top Bottom