First attempt at aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I replant tomorrow and refill the tank again I should have to drain it again other than regular water changes (touch wood) I will dose it as if I were preparing ready for fish then. They'll be alright for a day I hope

I have java moss to attach and hair grass to plant tomorrow along with a couple of little ferns that were thrown in not sure what they are maybe java fern. Then at a later date I will get some amazon sword to go behind the vals and would quite like some crypts in the foreground. And a couple of java ferns.

I cant tell what size tank you have. I love a full tank just keep in mind swords get biiiiggggg

They take up alot of space and they do appreciate a root tab

They take up alot of space and they do appreciate a root tab

In my experience swords love excel aswell. +1 on the tabs. No need to go overboard with them tho.

If planning to dose excel or another glut product, go easy on the dosage as the vals won't like it.

I have banked up substrate behind the vals. There's plenty of room there may put one in there.

Image1486158114.537336.jpg moved the larger anubius from the back down and to the left, added some java moss to the bottom piece of driftwood and added a couple of small plants not sure what they are to the front ?

More juggling around today moves the small piece of driftwood at the bottom down and around towards the front. Added a bunch of hair grass in the front left and more moss onto a couple of areas. What does everyone think ? I may am leaving the right hand side free so I have options. More hair grass or crypts ? Opinions would be very much appreciated. I can't tell you how thrilled I am with how it's coming along and excited about the prospect of learning from all you guys. IMG_0326.jpgIMG_0327.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

Maybe slide wood at angle to front left corner that open up more room behind for plants

I can't turn the main piece of wood anymore as branches are touching either side, I can only move it as if it left or right ? Would you move it more to the right as you are looking at it ?

It's coming along very nicely. The driftwood looks great and you have a pretty good selection of plants so far. Di you plan to add any stem plants?

What would you reccomend ?

Ludwigia repens is nice, Pink baby tears, pennywort are three that have done pretty well in any tank I've thrown them into. The Ludwigia grows pink on the underside of the leaves at lower light, can grow anywhere from dark green, a rusty brown colour and even red if you have your light and fertilizers right. Pink baby years has only ever started green for me by it has smallish leaves and has been a hardy plant for me. The pennywort has round leaves, under low light they grow reasonably big leaves, but tend to keep snake leafers under higher light. These three have all done well for me without fertilizers and even. Better when I added ferts.

Last edited:
Hey guys question. How much aeration do I need to supply? I have a built in filter in the hood of the tank but I'm not sure how good that will be as filling the tank means that water is touching the outlet so no air? Does this make a difference ? I have an air pump ATM ? Any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom