First chiclid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are your water parameters out of the tap? To make things simple, you might choose old or new world based on the water you already have.

What is the deference between old and new cichlids

They are a lazy and dated way to separate groups Of fish from different continents.

"Old world" are fish from Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria basin, West African river fish and fish from Madagascar.

"New World" are fish from South, Central America and Mexico.

They are a lazy and dated way to separate groups Of fish from different continents.

"Old world" are fish from Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria basin, West African river fish and fish from Madagascar.

"New World" are fish from South, Central America and Mexico.

I agree it's a lazy way but much easier to type out. Its funny how even the oca ( Ohio cichlid association) still does this.

What are your water parameters out of the tap? To make things simple, you might choose old or new world based on the water you already have.

Because of how you worded that with new and old world it doesn't make a lot of sense. Being that the fact is old world water perimeters are different between the places mogurako posted above

I agree it's a lazy way but much easier to type out. Its funny how even the oca ( Ohio cichlid association) still does this.

I know but that doesn't mean I have to like it! It also drives me nuts because the groups they lump together have different husbandry requirements.

Can we help me cuzz right now you are goofing of I want to do African Mumba cichlids

Sorry about that

African mbuna are rift lake cichlids from lake malawi and are part of the old world group. Your jewels aren't mbuna or from lake Malawi and you should rehome them if you want to do mbuna but they are still considered an old world cichlid if you haven't got all that from the chit chat going on.

Maybe these couple links will help you get started with mbuna cichlids. There is a lot of info involved if you have any questions just ask.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

Ok thank I what cichlids should you suggest for my 70 gal

Well we all here on this thread keep different ones from different places. So that's just another question that will get us all started again haha. It is better if you make your own choices on what continent you want to keep. Take a look here at the different types and have them separated by where the are from t make it easier on you. Once you figure that out we can help you. Just note the link only shows some but not all that's limited too

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php

I really like lake Malawi cichlids and those are the one that you make the rock caves right? Also what cichlids would you suggest for that setup

Back
Top Bottom