Fish burn from Heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squirt0170

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Ghost Knife is always hanging around the heater and filter and I noticed a long mark on him...

It doesn't look like a fish took a bite out of him or attacked him... But I don't know what a burn would look like on him either.

Can fish get burns from the tank heater?

I would've thought so, my pleco sometimes decides to attach herself to the heater but quickly finds something else to latch onto.

I don't know what a burn would look like on a fish but i am pretty certain that they can get burnt.

BGK

Regardless I moved the heater from his favorite spot and am trying to keep it out of their way... I feel better about it and I'm using Melafix on him :)

I know Ghost Knife's can be attracted by the electrictal current in the heater and can definitely get a burn.
If he can access the heater he will eventually get back to rubbing against it.

You can buy heater guards to put around the heater or if your using a canister filter get an inline heater.

Either way he'll be ok, i wouldn't treat him because as with humans water should be enough and he certainly has enough of that.

Might want to check around. I think they make mesh guards you can put around heaters to keep fish off the heater. I haven't seen any myself, but really haven't looked. And heard others talk about them.

I will look into Heater Guards for them... Since I moved the heater he hasn't followed it... he just happends to REALLY like the spot he's in and the heater was there too :) but I'm going to keep an eye on him. he's my FAV fish so I can't have him harmed lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom