Fish ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicnak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any ideas on what kind of cichlid this guy is, Or even sex?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439680574.479455.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Considering there is only one FEMALE mbuna shown in the picture, it could be okay. I believe it is a German red. I know there are also two peacocks that look like the German red that it could be but I forgot their names. Google could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Considering there is only one FEMALE mbuna shown in the picture, it could be okay. I believe it is a German red. I know there are also two peacocks that look like the German red that it could be but I forgot their names. Google could help.

The one mbuna pictured is a kenyi, these are among the most aggressive mbuna available, I stand by my statement. You don't mix aggressive mbuna with peacocks period. If it was a yellow lab sure, but not a kenyi. I do agree its likely a German red.

For sake of argument OP what is the stock list of the tank.

Ok thanks for that info. And yes I have been told they won't do well with mbunas but I have little aggression shown by any other than my convicts that have just had their first batch of fry.

In my 65 gallon:
The one pictured above
2 red zebras
1 Kenyi
2 convicts male and female
1 venustus
1 OB peacock
1 sunburst peacock
1 red empress
1 electric blue hap
1 yellow lab
1 peacock hybrid female I think
2 yellow tail acei

Ok thanks for that info. And yes I have been told they won't do well with mbunas but I have little aggression shown by any other than my convicts that have just had their first batch of fry.

In my 65 gallon:
The one pictured above
2 red zebras
1 Kenyi
2 convicts male and female
1 venustus
1 OB peacock
1 sunburst peacock
1 red empress
1 electric blue hap
1 yellow lab
1 peacock hybrid female I think
2 yellow tail acei

huh, hey Jmats what ya thinking now????

And OP there are some compatibility issues that you need to work on. Are you willing to listen to my advice or are you just gonna let it ride and see what happens?

And OP there are some compatibility issues that you need to work on. Are you willing to listen to my advice or are you just gonna let it ride and see what happens?

Sure I'm always open to hear advices and opinions.

Well that's a great attitude to have. Constantly I deal with people with no intent to focus on the needs of the fish.

Firstly is the convicts. As I'm sure you may know they are from central america and don't typically do well with Africans. Particularly when they are raising fry they become very aggressive and ideally should be housed alone.

That's our first move is separating africans from new world cichlids. The convicts are the only issue here.

Next ideally I would split the peacocks from aggressive mbuna, particularly the red zebras and kenyi (the venustus is potential trouble to). The yellow labs and yellowtail acei will do fine with the peacocks/haps.

Overall the tank is overstocked, key issues being the convicts and zebras/kenyi presence in the tank.
Are you willing(or have the space to) to remove anything or adjust stocking?

Well that's a great attitude to have. Constantly I deal with people with no intent to focus on the needs of the fish.

Firstly is the convicts. As I'm sure you may know they are from central america and don't typically do well with Africans. Particularly when they are raising fry they become very aggressive and ideally should be housed alone.

That's our first move is separating africans from new world cichlids. The convicts are the only issue here.

Next ideally I would split the peacocks from aggressive mbuna, particularly the red zebras and kenyi (the venustus is potential trouble to). The yellow labs and yellowtail acei will do fine with the peacocks/haps.

Overall the tank is overstocked, key issues being the convicts and zebras/kenyi presence in the tank.
Are you willing(or have the space to) to remove anything or adjust stocking?

No I don't have another tank setup i can move them to. But I do have another tank. I understand and agree with the convicts. My only thought is that everything in my tank are pretty much juvenile. Nothing is bigger than 3 or 4 inches. So my question is since they have been in the tank from a young age isn't it possible that aggression may not be as bad once they get older?

No I don't have another tank setup i can move them to. But I do have another tank. I understand and agree with the convicts. My only thought is that everything in my tank are pretty much juvenile. Nothing is bigger than 3 or 4 inches. So my question is since they have been in the tank from a young age isn't it possible that aggression may not be as bad once they get older?

Well sure, I had this same idea. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way 90% of the time. My red zebra started trying to kill off the peacocks first. I removed him only to have another mbuna pick up where he left off. The worst thing is the serious squabbles seem to take place without humans around, most who have serious conflicts in these tanks report finding dead fish from one day to the next, not witnessing tell tale signs that leave them days to take action. The fish believe very much in hierarchy and will defend it until near or at death. IMO its not worth the risk. There is lots of info here on good mbuna or peacock stocks. Given they are still young you have time to work things out though be advised I saw aggression issues at 3" and peacocks having babies by 3.5", acei too at the same size.

Well sure, I had this same idea. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way 90% of the time. My red zebra started trying to kill off the peacocks first. I removed him only to have another mbuna pick up where he left off. The worst thing is the serious squabbles seem to take place without humans around, most who have serious conflicts in these tanks report finding dead fish from one day to the next, not witnessing tell tale signs that leave them days to take action. The fish believe very much in hierarchy and will defend it until near or at death. IMO its not worth the risk. There is lots of info here on good mbuna or peacock stocks. Given they are still young you have time to work things out though be advised I saw aggression issues at 3" and peacocks having babies by 3.5", acei too at the same size.

Ok I'll take that into consideration. Thanks

It's a eureka red peacock. I'm pretty sure that's a male

Back
Top Bottom