fish in cycle (follow along)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
still looks fine to me. I don't think many people find fish-in cycling interesting, idk, lol.

I see that lol. Well I'll keep posting my progress this way if I run into a problem we can go back and see what has or hasn't been done.

I'm also mid fish-in cycle with my Malawi tank. I just found this so I'll be watching your updates

NyteGTI said:
I'm also mid fish-in cycle with my Malawi tank. I just found this so I'll be watching your updates

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out where I am in my cycle. The only thing that seems to be changing is ammonia which is normal. I haven't have much issues with trates or trites and pH has remained stable. Will be testing again later when I get home from work and will post results.

As I read through your thread, my thoughts are that something is wrong with your NitrAte readings...

When you do a 50% water change, then only half you NitrAtes are taken out so there should be some left to register when you test...are you following instructions correctly...that is important!

If you indeed do not have any NitrAtes, then you may be still at the beginning of your cycle since your Ammonia must first be converted to NitrItes and then into NitrAtes.

Yes I've been following directions to the T and I've read all the threads on fish in cycling. I even have my friend who owns a fish store and does many many accounts for salt and fresh water re test my readings using his kit and mine to to see if there is a difference. There is not.

So with that being said. Saturday will be week 3 of the cycle and I've been doing everything correct. Wc every other day or as needed and I stopped using stress coat or any other chemical, I just use Prime and dose it per instructions. I'm on my iPhone but I will try and find my other thread which includes some beginning readings or just look at my profile an you can find the thread. I started this thread so it would be easier for people to follow.

I'm not an expert and I'm new to this hobby. I just do what I've read and researched about. And those are the readings I get. I will be testing again later and I will post results. Maybe I am still in the beginning? Maybe it's something else? I dunno... All I do know is I'm on top of it and watching closely to assure the safety and health of my fish. It's not easy doing wc, testing, wc, testing, testing, and more water changes but I do them religiously and take my time when testing.

Reading from 10/24/11

Ammonia 20

Nitrites 1.0

Nitrates 20

pH 6.6

Reading from 10/25/11

Ammonia 0.25

pH 6.4

Nitrites 0.25

Nitrates 10

Readings from 10/26/11

Ammonia .50

Nitrates 5.0

Nitrites 0.25

pH 6.4

Here's a reading from 10/27/11

pH 6.8

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate 10

Hope that helps a little more. I logged everything in my little fish log.

Yes I've been following directions to the T and I've read all the threads on fish in cycling. I even have my friend who owns a fish store and does many many accounts for salt and fresh water re test my readings using his kit and mine to to see if there is a difference. There is not.

So with that being said. Saturday will be week 3 of the cycle and I've been doing everything correct. Wc every other day or as needed and I stopped using stress coat or any other chemical, I just use Prime and dose it per instructions. I'm on my iPhone but I will try and find my other thread which includes some beginning readings or just look at my profile an you can find the thread. I started this thread so it would be easier for people to follow.

I'm not an expert and I'm new to this hobby. I just do what I've read and researched about. And those are the readings I get. I will be testing again later and I will post results. Maybe I am still in the beginning? Maybe it's something else? I dunno... All I do know is I'm on top of it and watching closely to assure the safety and health of my fish. It's not easy doing wc, testing, wc, testing, testing, and more water changes but I do them religiously and take my time when testing.

Were you able to get some filter media from anybody? it'll help this process along ALOT. I know you said some gravel and driftwood, but try to get some filter media(the darker the better) from an established and clean tank.

When my cycle finishes in about the next week or so I can cut you a piece off of mine and get you some media. Im in jersey so we're not that far.

NyteGTI said:
Were you able to get some filter media from anybody? it'll help this process along ALOT. I know you said some gravel and driftwood, but try to get some filter media(the darker the better) from an established and clean tank.

When my cycle finishes in about the next week or so I can cut you a piece off of mine and get you some media. Im in jersey so we're not that far.

That sounds awesome! That would be great! I'm trying my hardest here. I listened to my LFS and got screwed. Now I just wanna get through this.

I wonder if I can get some filter media from my friend who owns the fish store he has accounts all over. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Now I know this is gonna be a stupid question but I have to ask. Be kind to me I'm new :)

Filter media is the filter itself? And I just place it where my filter would go? I have slots for 4 filters. I feel stupid even asking. Or is it what's inside the filter? In that case where do I put it and how? :(

I wonder if I can get some filter media from my friend who owns the fish store he has accounts all over. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Now I know this is gonna be a stupid question but I have to ask. Be kind to me I'm new :)

Filter media is the filter itself? And I just place it where my filter would go? I have slots for 4 filters. I feel stupid even asking. Or is it what's inside the filter? In that case where do I put it and how? :(

it'll be the cotton like stuff that he's probably got in his canister filter(s) or possibly if he's got some spare bioballs(see: Marineland® Bio-Filter Balls - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart)

it's anything that's inside of the filter of an already established aquarium because thats where most of your BB(beneficial bacteria) grow. it can be a sponge, filter media, bioball, anything as long as you keep it wet so the BB can survive.

Gotcha, I'm gonna call him now see what he has. Does it go into the tank itself or where my filters are?

Gotcha, I'm gonna call him now see what he has. Does it go into the tank itself or where my filters are?
put it BEFORE your filters in your(what I assume is) HOB filter. basically that space in your hang on filter where the water builds up before flowing through your actual filter pads.

like the attached picture

Attachments

• where to put filter media.jpg
    where to put filter media.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 69
Gotcha! Thanks so much for your help and thanks 100x for the picture. He's got some for me, going to get it after work or lunch time and add it in.

EDIT: it's from his African Cichlid tank at his store. It's his personal one. The fish in it aren't for sale.

Gotcha! Thanks so much for your help and thanks 100x for the picture. He's got some for me, going to get it after work or lunch time and add it in.

EDIT: it's from his African Cichlid tank at his store. It's his personal one. The fish in it aren't for sale.

Im more a visual learner, so I had to put the picture in to make sure :ROFLMAO:.
As long as the tank is healthy you're good to go. Any diseases that's in his tank can be carried into yours. I'm assuming his tank is clenn, just wanted to let you know everything that's about to happen.

also like I said get some nice dark stuff and get enough to put in front of all 4 of your filter pads as long as your water can flow through, it shouldn't be a problem with how much goes in there.

LoL yeah picture helped out a ton! I will get a much as I can and place it properly and make sure the water can still flow.

Thanks again.

Ok tested again no water change since last posted that I have done one. Here ate results.

pH 6.8

Nitrites 0 ppm

Nitrates 0 ppm

Ammonia 0.50 ppm

Gonna do a 50% water change today with my new water changer :)

How's it look? Again Saturday will be 3 weeks in.

its like it needs a boost of some sort. you're ammonia is changing, but the nitrites aren't being made. do you have a lot of plants in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom