fish in cycle (follow along)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm I don't know what would be "eating" your ammonia and not producing nitrites other than your water changes.

NyteGTI said:
hmm I don't know what would be "eating" your ammonia and not producing nitrites other than your water changes.

I do enough of them. I'm wondering if I should leave the tank a few days. Of course testing it but just to see if does anything. I did a water change yesterday and tested today. No change other then ammonia is now 0.

I look forward to your help :) maybe that will answer some questions. It be cycled already right? That's kinda impossible no?

Weird... I'm doing everything right no? I'm a newbie at this.

Have you tested your tap for ammonia? I have been reading your results and this is what I'm thinking . If you have ammo in your tap you may be adding that ammonia and getting a false positive with prime. If your doing everyday water changes your going to have false readings since prime will do that for 24 to 48 hrs. So what if your allready cycled since you had nitrates a few days ago but you knocked it down to zero with all the water changes and the only reason you have ammo is from the false reading from your tap? Does that make sense?

Yes makes sense. I tested tap an had a friend of mine who works for the water dept also test it. My tap water is fine. No ammonia. I only do water changes when ammonia gets to 0.50. So I don't have a clue what's going on. I test it everyday and from the beginning it appeared to be cycling and maybe it stalled somehow?

I'm getting filter media from a friend and see what happens. Maybe it just stop cycling? Is that possible? But to answer your question again my tap water is fine, no issues. So I'm at a loss.

I was thinking the ammonia was just because of the fish and feeding etc...

I'm new to this. I've slowed down with water changes and I'm gonna see if things change. pH has remained stable.

Other thoughts? Could it be cycled?

Readings for today:

pH 6.8

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Did water change yesterday evening.

EDIT: re tested tap water just now. Trate 0 Trite 0 ammonia 0 pH is close 7.0-6.8 too close for me to call.

Well that's it for now. Thanks for following along and offering advice. I'm gonna hold off on a water change today and check water tomorrow.

OFFICIAL: 3 weeks in on my fish in cycle.

Stay tune for water readings....

Thanks for following along an thanks for all the great advice!!

Depending on your readings. Try to keep the filters wet. If your numbers are fine then leave the change for later. Water changes wont effect your cycle but its just more stress to the fish if its not needed

Today marks week 3. Here are results. Just tested.

pH 6.8-7.0 (really close in color)

Ammonia 1.0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

View attachment 59601

EDIT: ammonia is high gonna do a water change in a few. Just setting everything up for the change. Probably gonna do a 75% change. I'll dose Prime accordingly,directly into tank.

Ok I now have 2 filters from the same friends tank. And 2 of my own filters along with 2 bio wheels. I did a 75% water change. Ammonia was 1.0 ppm with that being said. With the 2 other filters what should I expect? What am I looking for? I've added them in about 2 hours ago.

I'm gonna sit back and enjoy my fish and test maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

Just wondering what i should be expecting as far as water test results.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Since adding the 2 filters from my friends tank I've noticed small particles in the tank. Tank is still very very clear just notice little particles floating around the water and the fish are going crazy feeding on them.

They seem happy and look healthy just doing there normal thing.

Food maybe? Debris from the 2 used filters?

It's probably just food debris from the previous tank, it's probbly nothing to be concerned about.
also this filter will help your cycle, but it wont make it instant. you'll probably start seeing some nitrites and nitrates coming out in your tests starting tonight. just watch out for the nitrite spike as it's a MAJOR pain in the butt if not taken care of and is VERY hazardous to the fish.

NyteGTI said:
It's probably just food debris from the previous tank, it's probbly nothing to be concerned about.
also this filter will help your cycle, but it wont make it instant. you'll probably start seeing some nitrites and nitrates coming out in your tests starting tonight. just watch out for the nitrite spike as it's a MAJOR pain in the butt if not taken care of and is VERY hazardous to the fish.

Ok will do... I'll be on it like Con-Ed! :)

Test results as of right now. Will do another one later tonight.

Temp 76

pH 6.8

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Ammonia 0.25

Water change was just about 75% and I added one cap full of Prime to tank before filling back up.

View attachment 59626

Final test of the day. Will retest tomorrow. Here are the results. Remember I added 2 filters from a friends well established tank that has been up and running for years. Did a 75% water change due to ammonia levels being 1.0ppm.

As of right now. 3 weeks in.

Temp steady at 76

Water condition crystal clear

Fish happy, very active and appear healthy. Feeding every other day.

pH again very close. 7.0-6.8

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Ammonia 0.25

Well that's it. Thanks again for following me along and for all the help!! Have a good night everyone. I'm gonna go and enjoy my fish to tonight with a nice glass of wine.

View attachment 59678

View attachment 59679

Back
Top Bottom